Cellular Trail Camera Opinions

rosewood

I have found that the cellular cams operating costs are actually cheaper than what I use to have to do with the many trips to the properties to change out cards and to change batteries. Thank you solar panels and LI batteries and most of all the instant notification of what is in front of the camera . The recent fuel situation and increase in that cost also makes owning a good cell system more attractive.

This is a very good point. It cost me from $15-20 in fuel to drive to the hunting property and back. Then you figure 2 hours of my time. If I go once a month, the camera plan is paid for. However, I do still need to make occasional trips to feed the critters. Also frequent camera visits leaves your scent in the field.

Who can say they don't get excited every time the game camera goes off on your phone? That excitement alone is worth the cost. :)

Rosewood

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I almost paid for unlimited, but had reserves about it. Using free 100. Next camera will be with someone else. Will check out tactacam

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I mostly use the cell cam to monitor our main road to keep up with who comes and goes. Just today a strange truck entered and left 21 minutes later. Never know if it's timber related or what, but they have the combo to one of the locks. Not much one can do in 21 minutes except go in about a mile and come back out.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
There's 250 acres connecting on the north side of our original property. We've leased it for years. Now a different timber co has bought and leased to a group we don't know. Then they bought access to that land locked land through our lease. Wondering how that's going to turn out? Could be a good or bad group. Or two many people hunting 250 acres. That would hurt our management. No place on that 250 for plots, usually mostly flooded. So they will definitely benefit from our management. We have 17 plots and keep the roads up. In fact we've kept the roads up on the 250. Our lessor tried to talk the timber co into leasing back to us, but they would not. Time will tell. Wondering if the strange trucks we've seen coming in is with that group leasing the 250? I've had our club here for 35 years and now someone wants to give us a headache. Ten years ago or so, we had a group next to us on a piece that is now pasture. They almost wiped the deer out of this area, then left. It could happen again. 30 years ago a group had the 250 piece with ten members, with guest. They put a hurt on the area too. But back then most of the land now in farms and pasture was woods, it could bounce back. It won't bounce much now days.

We have 3 Tactacams and 1 Muddy cell cam running at our club. I'll say this for the Tactacams- we had one get submerged last year when a creek when out of its banks and the thing dried out and kept running without us even having to go check on it. The battery life is great and we have had absolutely zero problems with any of the 3. The Muddy camera is a great cheap option if you just want a camera over a corn pile to take pics and send them to your phone. In the woods on trails is not a great place for it.

buckpasser

We have 3 Tactacams and 1 Muddy cell cam running at our club. I'll say this for the Tactacams- we had one get submerged last year when a creek when out of its banks and the thing dried out and kept running without us even having to go check on it. The battery life is great and we have had absolutely zero problems with any of the 3. The Muddy camera is a great cheap option if you just want a camera over a corn pile to take pics and send them to your phone. In the woods on trails is not a great place for it.

Totally agree. I bought a Muddy first, then a Tactacam. I then bought another personal Tactacam and converted my work fleet of seven Coverts to 8 more Tactacams. The muddy is okay, but the picture quality and sending reliability isn’t anywhere close to the Tactacam. I don’t miss the coverts.

sghoghunter

Totally agree. I bought a Muddy first, then a Tactacam. I then bought another personal Tactacam and converted my work fleet of seven Coverts to 8 more Tactacams. The muddy is okay, but the picture quality and sending reliability isn’t anywhere close to the Tactacam. I don’t miss the coverts.

Where are the coverts now?