Cherokee Indian Grave Site?

longrangedog

Early farmers generally did not clear and farm hillsides. The level bottomland was more suitable for farming and they did clear the rocks out but probably would not have carried them to a distant hillside.

Fletch_W

Banned
Early farmers generally did not clear and farm hillsides. The level bottomland was more suitable for farming and they did clear the rocks out but probably would not have carried them to a distant hillside.

That depends heavily on the tract of land. If a farmer didn't have much bottomland, or the bottomland was too swampy, he'd absolutely clear hills and plant on them.

But I agree he wouldn't clear rocks from a bunch of bottomland and then carry them up the hill. They'd be on the edge.

Shadow11

Back in the day I found several piles of rocks approximately 6 feet in diameter and about 2 feet high on my property and I too had heard they were piled there many years ago by farmers. I decided to check one of them out and discovered the rocks went about 3 feet deep into the ground. I don't think a farmer would have dug a hole to put the rocks in. And no I did not find any bones, If I had I would have stopped immediately and covered the hole.
No they would not have dug a hole, but if a hole was already there, from an uprooted tree that fell at some point, or a reason such as that... then they would have chosen that spot to pile their rocks.

Mike 65

Our hunting club in Lamar co. has several piles like described and the land owner told us it’s from farming the land.

westcobbdog

Was at my Hancock club yesterday and installed a ladder overlooking a creek bottom. In prior trips noticed what I thought were 3-4 large piles of white quart rocks at the edge of the ridge and the bottom were really maybe 10 or more piles of stones.
Some huge piles some smaller. Someone worked their tail off to pile up all these rocks.