Ckillmaster's CWD Q&A thread

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
My GON brethren, with CWD looming all around us you deserve honest answers from me, YOUR State Deer Biologist. List any questions you have and let's have a frank and honest discussion about them.

Also, bring me your convincing conspiracy theories about it, I ain't skeered!

Last edited:

buckpasser

What is the average time span from infection to death?

1. what’s the states plan once it is detected in ga ?
2. Will the affected areas have raised harvest levels or longer seasons ?
3. Will infected deer count towards your tags ?
4. Will the state test all deer once it is detected ?
5. How much testing is going on now ?
6. Will the state pay for all testing once it is detected in the state ?
7. will there be a statewide mandated testing of all deer once it is detected?
8. Will baiting be banned in the counties it is detected in or statewide ?
9.Are there any advancement’s in a cure ?
10. What is being done about deer farms and breeding in the state ? Isn’t there a higher chance of getting cwd from farms than wild deer ?
11. How close does the state monitor deer farms now ?

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Response plan actions are listed here
Probably not, although there may be permits issued to increase sampling effort.
We will work with hunters whose deer test positive to ensure proper disposal of the carcass and restore any tags for deer that test positive for CWD.
No, testing every deer killed in Georgia is neither necessary for managing CWD nor financially prudent or feasible. We direct our funds for testing to the most efficient areas for early detection or detection in new areas once found. If we ever find CWD we are hoping to achieve all CWD sampling goals in CWD management zones through voluntary means and hope to avoid any mandatory testing.
We have been routinely testing deer in every county of Georgia since 2002 and have substantially increased sampling effort and efficiency in the last 5 years.
The state will continue to pay for the testing necessary to monitor and manage CWD if/when we find it. We will strive to provide free sampling in CWD endemic zones if/when they occur in Georgia. We will always provide a way for any hunter to test any deer they choose to test, but fees may apply outside our CWD management priorities.
No
While diseases like CWD will continue to spread through natural mechanisms, we can help reduce our impacts by not providing concentrated food sources that may facilitate disease transmission. There are no current proposals to completely ban the use of feed, but some restrictions like seasonal limitations and feeder types may help reduce our impacts on disease transmission. We have active research going on to help determine the best approach to this issue.
While there are some projects looking at vaccines in captive animals, there are no feasible options at this point. Even if we had a vaccine, distributing and and reducing disease in wild animals is extremely difficult and expensive.

Blackston

I used to work near and at our county dump . It is very common to watch local processors carrying trailer loads of carcasses does this increase risk ?

basshappy

BANNED
It is my understanding that the prions live in the soil for many years. So even after you were to go in and "reduce" these family groups of deer around an area of infection, isn't the damage already done and any deer that walks that area liable to pick the disease up?

The prions can be destroyed via burning for several hours. Prescribed burning may help denature the prions at the surface of the forest floor. Burn, baby, burn!
https://dwr.virginia.gov/wildlife/diseases/cwd/what-are-prions/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3160281/

diamondback

Ok I got two questions. I live in southwest ga. I have a lease in north fl. In the county that has had 1 deer as far as I know that tested positive that was a road kill. They had every deer tested on opening weekend in that county and then it has been on a voluntary basis. One question is how long does tests take for results because I can’t find any mention yet if any more tested positive.
The second question I have is kinda on the conspiracy theory line of thinking. Does the state get any federal funding if any deer in that state tests positive?

bilgerat

Senior
If I come across a deer that looks like it may be sick how do I report it? is there a Georgia CWD hot line number or one planed?

sghoghunter

Attachments

• IMG_1767.png
    IMG_1767.png
    389.3 KB · Views: 11

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
From what I`ve seen, controlled burning is on upland pine savannahs. That`s usually done this time of the year too. At least here in Southwest Georgia anyway. Burning hardwood stands and swamps is not conducive.

basshappy

BANNED
Not sure if you understand how a prescribed fire works but it doesn’t usually burn at 600degrees for several hours in any given spot

I'm aware. Been burning our land for a few years. The wild things love after the burn. And birds love during the burn.

LonePine

If a processor uses a knife/equipment to process a deer with CWD and then uses that same knife/equipment to process my deer, does that run the risk of infecting my meat if the equipment has come in contact with contaminated brain or spinal parts?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
It is my understanding that the prions live in the soil for many years. So even after you were to go in and "reduce" these family groups of deer around an area of infection, isn't the damage already done and any deer that walks that area liable to pick the disease up?
Once CWD gets established in an area you've got it forever. With that said, it doesn't transmit from contaminated soil anywhere near as easily as it does from live deer to live deer. The environment contamination isn't a huge source of infection until the disease reaches high prevalence rates. A high prevalence rate would be say 15% or more, which basically means 15% of the deer you test in an area will test positive.

If CWD gets established in GA, our main objective is keeping prevalence low to limit the negative effects on the deer population, keep environmental contamination at a minimum, and limit the number of deer that have to be discarded due to testing positive.

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Ok I got two questions. I live in southwest ga. I have a lease in north fl. In the county that has had 1 deer as far as I know that tested positive that was a road kill. They had every deer tested on opening weekend in that county and then it has been on a voluntary basis. One question is how long does tests take for results because I can’t find any mention yet if any more tested positive.
The second question I have is kinda on the conspiracy theory line of thinking. Does the state get any federal funding if any deer in that state tests positive?
Depending on the lab and the number of samples being submitted at once the test results may be ready in a week or two or it could be several months.

FL has tested around 1,100 deer in the disease management zone and hasn't found any additional positives. This could mean a couple of things, either they caught it very early on and the prevalence is so low that other positive deer haven't gotten killed and tested yet or that there is an unknown hot spot somewhere else and this deer traveled out of it and got hit by a car in the process. There have been situations like this in other states where they find a single positive in a new area, then don't get any more for a few years. As time goes by more will eventually show up.

Regarding the funding, there's no switch that flips if you find CWD. I mentioned this in another thread, but there was limited Federal funding specific for CWD prior to 2011 when the grant was no longer funded. We got about $44,000 a year back then which really doesn't amount to much for a state agency. Other states that had CWD at the time maybe got double that, so still not a significant amount. They (as in USDA) only recently started funding CWD projects again, but states have to apply with a specific purpose as it doesn't really cover routine sampling. For example most of the southeast states, including GA, put in for and received a grant to develop educational videos on CWD.