Ckillmaster's CWD Q&A thread

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Hey Nick!

Most deer that have CWD don't have any symptoms yet because the incubation period is so long (18 to 24 months) and the symptoms don't start until near the end of that.

For deer that make it to that point they start to rapidly lose weight, have droopy ears, move slow and lack coordination, drool excessively, or walk in circles.

There are plenty of other diseases that share some of these symptoms, but we want hunters to report all sick deer to us.

Last week we watched a doe from around 2 in the afternoon till right before dark last week in the field in front of the house. She looked healthy, was not scared of us, and was walking in counter clockwise circles from tight little circles to circles up to maybe 150 feet across. She never fed, paid no attention to the cows, and never stopped walking but a time or two. She did stop when I walked out to take this shot. I've never seen a deer act like this. Here in Lee County.

20240121_151409.jpg

splatek

UAEC
Sorry if this has been asked, by my reading of the literature is that there is still not a single case (thank God) of transmission between cervid to human... is that correct?

Also, I wonder if any population biologists have estimated the likelihood that a hunter, or family member, or someone who has eaten donated deer might have actually eaten a CWD-*** deer and what, if any the effects were/are?

Has any lab/research team done any studies investigating the evolution of CWD and possible host manipulation behaviors; or evolved enhanced pathogenesis?

As always, thank you Charlie for your comments and the update here.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Last week we watched a doe from around 2 in the afternoon till right before dark last week in the field in front of the house. She looked healthy, was not scared of us, and was walking in counter clockwise circles from tight little circles to circles up to maybe 150 feet across. She never fed, paid no attention to the cows, and never stopped walking but a time or two. She did stop when I walked out to take this shot. I've never seen a deer act like this. Here in Lee County.

View attachment 1288700
Hey Nick, if you see her again we probably need to see about getting a sample. I'll shoot you a PM with details on that.

Whitefeather

Management Material
That's an interesting way they have that set up, I'll have to check it out.
It was very user friendly and I found it to be very informative. I think it would be helpful to you guys as it provides a plethora of information from the people in the field.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Sorry if this has been asked, by my reading of the literature is that there is still not a single case (thank God) of transmission between cervid to human... is that correct?

Also, I wonder if any population biologists have estimated the likelihood that a hunter, or family member, or someone who has eaten donated deer might have actually eaten a CWD-*** deer and what, if any the effects were/are?

Has any lab/research team done any studies investigating the evolution of CWD and possible host manipulation behaviors; or evolved enhanced pathogenesis?

As always, thank you Charlie for your comments and the update here.
Still no cases in humans. There are hunters routinely eating deer from CWD zones without testing them, including zones with 50% prevalence rates. There was a big group that was served a CWD positive deer (test results came back after the deer was eaten) at a wild game dinner about 20 years ago. They've been following a bunch of those people ever since and still no signs of disease.

I know you'll appreciate the actual peer-reviewed article:

There have been many studies on transgenic (humanized) mice and monkeys that indicate a strong species barrier that makes human transmission look highly unlikely. There is one ongoing study that is a little concerning with the transgenic mice where CWD was first passaged through a raccoon, but they were also directly injecting it into to the brains of the mice. On top of that, there have been several epidemiologic studies looking at rates of human prion disease in areas that have a lot of CWD and they are no higher than areas without CWD.

I personally follow CDC recommendations, I don't eat CWD positive deer and I test deer before eating them if hunting in a county that has detected CWD. I hunted elk in a CWD zone in Colorado and had it tested before eating it.

Madsnooker

I'm part of the peanut gallery as I don't have a biology degree as someone pointed out to another poster that gave his opinion earlier in this thread. What I do have is 45 years of field observations. :bounce:
Something my son and I have noticed since we started gravity feeding about 6 years ago with protein is how much more deer prefer white acorns than they do corn or protein pellets. It is very obvious as our feed bill plummeted when the acorns started falling. Our feed started lasting 2.5 times longer then normal. No, that's not hyperbole as we have the local feed supplier fill our feeders since we are in Fl and can't get up enough to do it. We know almost to the day how long it takes to empty a 300ib feeder without acorns falling. With acorns falling it will last 2.5 times longer. I have a double white oak 40yds to the left of my main (#1) feeder and this year it was dropping heavy. I put a spartan on it. Keep in mind I had a spartan 40yds away at the feeder. It wasn't even remotely close the number of pics between the 2. As a mater of fact, there was a 3 week period that I would get pics of the same groups of deer eating multiple times a day under the white oak and they never once jumped the fence and ate protein and corn from the feeder. We mix 3 bags of corn with 3 bags of protein to help keep the cost down. When I sat my stand I would watch it play out and the deer at the oak tree licked, kicked and mingled just like they do at the feeder. I will even go further and say they do it even more at the tree as it's open around the tree and multiple groups will hang out at the same time especially right at dark. At the feeder there are never more then 3 or 4 deer eating because they run the other deer off. Especially the moma does. This is not something random but rather always the case all six years we have had the feeders and acorns are falling.

With all of that said, I'm not trying to prove a point or say feeding is fine, I'm just telling you what I witness first hand and my cameras tell me. And what that is is, a white acorn tree, dropping fresh white acorns, gathers deer as much, if not considerably more then any feeder. At least on my land.
To be clear again, in case some thinks I'm advocating feeders don't spread cwd, I'm not, and I don't have the answers, just providing my observations on my land. I also realize this is just one piece out of many pieces of the cwd puzzle.:wink:

Sixes

Is CWD worse than EHD on the herd? I know they are different kinds of disease and spread in different ways, but is EHD not way worse on the herd?

We've dealt with EHD for decades and we still have a great herd of deer.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Is CWD worse than EHD on the herd? I know they are different kinds of disease and spread in different ways, but is EHD not way worse on the herd?

We've dealt with EHD for decades and we still have a great herd of deer.
Left unchecked and unmanaged, CWD is worse in the long run. EHD runs in cycles because deer that get it and don't die develop immunity. With CWD there is no immunity, deer with CWD will ultimately die from it if not killed by a hunter or predator first. You often hear EHD kills more deer each year which is true for the time being. It will not stay that way because CWD doesn't cycle, it constantly but slowly grows. There are parts of West Virginia and Arkansas where CWD is killing as many deer as hunters. What many people don't understand is that it takes decades for CWD to reach that point in a given area.

cowhornedspike

So since they can test and find prions on licking branches etc why is there not a test to determine if a live deer has cwd?...or is there?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
So since they can test and find prions on licking branches etc why is there not a test to determine if a live deer has cwd?...or is there?
There are a couple of ways, but they aren't super-reliable yet. The most common live animal test uses rectal lining, so you have to drug the deer, open the rear end with a speculum, and clip out a little portion of the rectal lining. That can pick up some deer that are positive, but if they were recently infected then it won't show up yet.

This other type of test is completely different, it can pick up incredibly small amounts of the prion and amplify it enough to where it can be observed if it's present. We are just now trying to figure out how to effectively use this new type of test in surveillance. Here's one problem though, it's so sensitive that it could pick up miniscule amounts of prion that may not be concentrated enough to actually infect a deer. So it's possible that a deer in a CWD area has some level of prions that could show up on them, but wouldn't test positive. I'm sure this will soon be studied for testing live deer, if they aren't already working on it but we don't have the research to correctly apply the tool for live testing yet.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I'm part of the peanut gallery as I don't have a biology degree as someone pointed out to another poster that gave his opinion earlier in this thread. What I do have is 45 years of field observations. :bounce:
Something my son and I have noticed since we started gravity feeding about 6 years ago with protein is how much more deer prefer white acorns than they do corn or protein pellets. It is very obvious as our feed bill plummeted when the acorns started falling. Our feed started lasting 2.5 times longer then normal. No, that's not hyperbole as we have the local feed supplier fill our feeders since we are in Fl and can't get up enough to do it. We know almost to the day how long it takes to empty a 300ib feeder without acorns falling. With acorns falling it will last 2.5 times longer. I have a double white oak 40yds to the left of my main (#1) feeder and this year it was dropping heavy. I put a spartan on it. Keep in mind I had a spartan 40yds away at the feeder. It wasn't even remotely close the number of pics between the 2. As a mater of fact, there was a 3 week period that I would get pics of the same groups of deer eating multiple times a day under the white oak and they never once jumped the fence and ate protein and corn from the feeder. We mix 3 bags of corn with 3 bags of protein to help keep the cost down. When I sat my stand I would watch it play out and the deer at the oak tree licked, kicked and mingled just like they do at the feeder. I will even go further and say they do it even more at the tree as it's open around the tree and multiple groups will hang out at the same time especially right at dark. At the feeder there are never more then 3 or 4 deer eating because they run the other deer off. Especially the moma does. This is not something random but rather always the case all six years we have had the feeders and acorns are falling.

With all of that said, I'm not trying to prove a point or say feeding is fine, I'm just telling you what I witness first hand and my cameras tell me. And what that is is, a white acorn tree, dropping fresh white acorns, gathers deer as much, if not considerably more then any feeder. At least on my land.
To be clear again, in case some thinks I'm advocating feeders don't spread cwd, I'm not, and I don't have the answers, just providing my observations on my land. I also realize this is just one piece out of many pieces of the cwd puzzle.:wink:
There's a lot we still need to learn about transmission, but direct deer to deer contact appears to be more efficient. With that said there have been several studies that show that there is a lot more nose to nose contact at feeders or bait sites when compared to deer using food plots or random observations. No one can tell the degree to which putting out bait increases transmission rates, but it's a safe assumption that it doesn't help the situation. We obviously can't control all the behaviors that deer have that can transmit CWD, but we do have control over our own actions that may help it spread faster. Here is our current recommendation from our CWD information website:

Toliver

So for reporting purposes on sick deer or observable odd behavior.... kill it and call or leave it alone and call and hope it's still around when someone is available to respond? If the former, try to video it before dispatching? If the latter, what is the availability across the state for qualified people to respond?

For rabies, the CDC always wanted the entire head brought in so they could test the intact brain. How is CWD tested and is there a best practice for how the deer is killed for best testing samples?

basshappy

BANNED
For rabies, the CDC always wanted the entire head brought in so they could test the intact brain. How is CWD tested and is there a best practice for how the deer is killed for best testing samples?

Upper spine and brain are tested. I imagine boiler room shot is good for collecting a suspect deer so that spine and brain are left alone.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
So for reporting purposes on sick deer or observable odd behavior.... kill it and call or leave it alone and call and hope it's still around when someone is available to respond? If the former, try to video it before dispatching? If the latter, what is the availability across the state for qualified people to respond?

Call first. We may not authorize killing the deer if it's not a population threat like deer warts. We've got people all across the state, but not near the same coverage as law enforcement. Weekends are tougher because the on call person could be several counties away, but that's less of an issue when the weather is cooler and the samples will stay good for a couple of days. For CWD testing collect lymph nodes from where the head meets the neck, so when we authorize killing one we instruct to avoid head or upper neck shots.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
The same - bringing together deer unnaturally into a very small area where transmission of disease increases. So feeder of corn or salt lick - large number of animals on small source equals higher transmission rates.
Will you be quiet!! Not your thread. Let Charlie work. You don’t know anything. Quit googling. You comment like you know which we all know is not a fact.

Last edited:

Browning Slayer

What role, if any, do deer breeding farms play in the spread of cwd? If there is a connection, will they be shut down?
Good question. There is a connection. What is GA doing Charlie?

Browning Slayer

Mr Killmaster already stated baiting/feeding does help transmit CWD
Here we go. The two Google masters. This pertains to us “deer hunters”. You and @basshappy need to sit back and hush. Let Charlie do his thing.

Read the question.

What is GA doing to shut down deer farming after CWD hits?

Last edited:

sghoghunter