Ckillmaster's CWD Q&A thread

Swamprat

Swamprat
One deer tests positive and the state basically restricts an area of maybe 40 by 30 square miles. No other positive tests in the area since.

My thought was restrict to maybe a 5x5 square mile area at first, if another positive test shows up close to boundary then expand.

Is the wide area restriction normal practice, I think the state overreacted looking for cash cow dollars. This was in Holmes County, Fl if it matters. North boundary of restriction stopped at Bama line, Bama had no concerns and deer do not know state lines.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
With the tanning question being asked.
Would the prions be able to be absorbed through the skin and cause a possible infection or do the prions have to enter though a specific means?
IE, eaten or saliva?
It has not ever been transmitted to humans, but for deer to deer transmission they have to consume or inhale the prions in order to be infected.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
One deer tests positive and the state basically restricts an area of maybe 40 by 30 square miles. No other positive tests in the area since.

My thought was restrict to maybe a 5x5 square mile area at first, if another positive test shows up close to boundary then expand.

Is the wide area restriction normal practice, I think the state overreacted looking for cash cow dollars. This was in Holmes County, Fl if it matters. North boundary of restriction stopped at Bama line, Bama had no concerns and deer do not know state lines.

As I've mentioned earlier, there really is no financial incentive for the state agency. In fact quite the opposite as expenses for disease management increase substantially and no extra funding to go with it.

With disease management zones you really have to stick to county lines because that's what the public knows. If you tried to apply carcass transport restrictions to a portion of a county you could imagine how confusing that would be to the public on top of being unenforceable. Our proposed disease management zones would be any county touching a 5-mile radius around any positive case, even if it's in a neighboring state. Given the fact that CWD is almost impossible to eradicate it is prudent to enact carcass transport restrictions in a broad area so we aren't helping it spread faster than it does already.

slow motion

Thanks for taking the time Mr. Killmaster.

Is there light at the end of the tunnel? Seems with the restrictions in place the spread can be slowed but not stopped and once it's there it's always there. Obviously you cant look into the future but while it might take a few hundred years is it inevitable that it becomes nationwide?

turkeykirk

Keep up the good work. It’s a daunting challenge to solve.

Madsnooker

Great info!!! Just finished reading thru this entire thread.
Im at the beach with my wife for our anniversary. It's a sunny and breezy 75. Although I hate the beach my wife loves it so here we are. My wife's in the sun and I'm under the umbrella.:bounce: After an hour she asks, "what are you reading"? When I told her I'm reading about a deer disease she said I'm the one with the deer disease and after 33 years of marriage she convinced there is no cure! :rofl:

@killmaster where can I find and fill out the survey you mentioned?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Thanks for taking the time Mr. Killmaster.

Is there light at the end of the tunnel? Seems with the restrictions in place the spread can be slowed but not stopped and once it's there it's always there. Obviously you cant look into the future but while it might take a few hundred years is it inevitable that it becomes nationwide?
If we manage the disease, particularly with the targeted removals, the prevalence will stay low and we can have sustainable, huntable deer populations where CWD exists. The main thing we lose is age structure on bucks, you have to maintain a younger deer population in general to keep prevalence down. I guess the light at the end of the tunnel is the pace at which technology is advancing, I'm optimistic that at some point we will discover a better solution to it.

To your point, it does move relatively slow as long as we don't help it by moving in the back of a truck. If prevalence is kept low the natural spread is less than a mile per year.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Great info!!! Just finished reading thru this entire thread.
Im at the beach with my wife for our anniversary. It's a sunny and breezy 75. Although I hate the beach my wife loves it so here we are. My wife's in the sun and I'm under the umbrella.:bounce: After an hour she asks, "what are you reading"? When I told her I'm reading about a deer disease she said I'm the one with the deer disease and after 33 years of marriage she convinced there is no cure! :rofl:

@killmaster where can I find and fill out the survey you mentioned?
You have to be randomly selected, I don't have a link to share for that particular study. However, we are also soliciting input for our new deer management plan which includes a section on CWD, you can provide your input here:

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Survey completed.