Cleanest powder for muzzelloader

William Fivaz

A friend of mine wants to hunt with an inline this year. The problem is that he is real bad about cleaning his firearms. I have been using 777 for the last few years, before that it was Pyrodex. I am a clean freak with all my firearms so no problems...I was looking at a thread awhile ago where you folks were talking about some powder that was much cleaner. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated:biggrin2:

robertyb

Only problem is it is very very expensive compared to other powders. Cleaning is really not hard to do.

WTM45

When you compare the number of shots per bottle, it is pretty much the same cost as using T7 pellets.

And, you don't HAVE to clean the bore at all until you want to.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
:yeah:BH209 it is!!!!!! Thanks All!!!!!

now that youve made the RIGHT decision:p

remember that when using BH209 you do not swab between shots at the range.

I start with a clean barrel and shoot off a couple of primers and then shoot till my heart is content. if I feel the urge I will clean it that night or wait a few days. it doesnt matter because it is just that clean.

also during season, before loading it bust off a couple of primers and then load the powder. after that you are good till you shoot.

I think I cleaned mine once last season and shot it 6-7 times during season.

the only "dirty" part of BH209 is the blowback carbon build up on the breech plug. best to keep a 1/8" drill bit for when cleaning. I soak it in hot soapy water while I am cleaning the rifle like normal. then before I put the breech back in I drill out the carbon, clean and dry and then add plug grease and screw it back in

good luck!

ETK

Thanks Deadeye. I have always used pellets. How do you protect the powder from moisture and or absorbing it?

aaronward9

where can I get some of this BH209?? not at Walmart i know..