Cleanest powder for muzzelloader

pepperrocks

What is the best pellets to use? Or is it worth the convenience factor?

JBM '64

Forget the pellets, buy a measurer and some BH 209.

Technically, it is in pellet form, very,very, tiny ones. It is not a powder.

Supreme accuracy, extremely minimum clean up.

Jim M.

ALL4HUNTIN

X2 on Jim Shockey Gold.... Very clean burning powder. Use it in my 45 and 50 cal...

lineman33

x3 i bought some gold sticks today very very clean, sense there is no bh209 within 150miles of me i had to get JS Gold, just dont crush the sticks when u seat the bullet it will shoot dffrnt

kvistads

Who cares? Use whatever works for you. I shoot real black powder and always have. Let the smoke roll! Always clean after hunt.

solocamslayer

I found some BH209 at BPS in Duluth, took it straight to the range and now I need to sell some T7 pellets! That stuff is amazing in my Encore, 120 grains with a 240gr precision rifle sabot, 1" groups at 100yds. Thanks!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I found some BH209 at BPS in Duluth, took it straight to the range and now I need to sell some T7 pellets! That stuff is amazing in my Encore, 120 grains with a 240gr precision rifle sabot, 1" groups at 100yds. Thanks!

nothing wrong with it since it is accurate, but thats a lot of loose powder. you should consider dropping down to 100-110gr (by volume)and see if your accuracy stays the same...might save you some money.

glad you found the BH, I agree it is a great great powder! remember no swabbing between shots!

olhippie

...The Blackhorn 209 is completely different than the other black powder substitutes in that it is NOT water soluble, but like smokeless powder (to which it is closely chemically related ) requires smokeless powder solvent cleaning agents. The Blackhorn itself leaves no more residue than would smokeless powders, the solvent cleaning is aimed more at copper and lead fouling, than at chemical residue as by-product of the powder burn.

...Blackhorn 209 is for IN-LINE 209 primed CLOSED BREECH muzzle loaders ONLY. Side hammer guns need not apply, in-lines that do not fire from a CLOSED breech are not candidates for the BH209 according to the manufacturer.