Clemson - Holy Recruits

BamaGeorgialine

Because their assistants never leave. They've been recruiting these kids since 8th grade and they're still there preaching family and loyalty while a bunch of our schools are losing four or five assistants a year, every year. Gotta give them credit because it's working

James12

Because their assistants never leave. They've been recruiting these kids since 8th grade and they're still there preaching family and loyalty while a bunch of our schools are losing four or five assistants a year, every year. Gotta give them credit because it's working

Great point

TinKnocker

Yep. Even if someone else take the recruiting title it will be because Clemson ran out of scholarships. I strongly doubt anyone beats their average.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Clemson will be tough to deal with for many years to come!
Dabo is a great coach that surrounds himself with dedicated people!
Sooner or later some of those guys will start leaving. I'm sure most have aspired to be head coachs at some point. Saban has turned out more head coachs than NFL quarterbacks facepalm:

DannyW

That's actually a high recruiting class for Clemson...rarely are they in the top 10. Clemson seems to take a bunch of 3-4 star players and then coaches them up into a TEAM (as foreign as the concept "team" is to some programs who bet the farm on star power alone). According to 247Sports, here is the Clemson recruiting class ratings for the past 7 years:

2012 - 20th
2013 - 10th
2014 - 16th
2015 - 9th
2016 - 11th
2017 - 16th
2018 - 7th

Despite having an average recruiting class that ranks around 12th or so, they have played in 3 of the last 4 national championships.

Dabo has got it going at Clemson. He is winning more championships with less raw talent than anyone else in college football.

brownceluse

That's actually a high recruiting class for Clemson...rarely are they in the top 10. Clemson seems to take a bunch of 3-4 star players and then coaches them up into a TEAM (as foreign as the concept "team" is to some programs who bet the farm on star power alone). According to 247Sports, here is the Clemson recruiting class ratings for the past 7 years:

2012 - 20th
2013 - 10th
2014 - 16th
2015 - 9th
2016 - 11th
2017 - 16th
2018 - 7th

Despite having an average recruiting class that ranks around 12th or so, they have played in 3 of the last 4 national championships.

Dabo has got it going at Clemson. He is winning more championships with less raw talent than anyone else in college football.
I agree. They’ve done more with less. Stars that is.

TinKnocker

Sooner or later some of those guys will start leaving. I'm sure most have aspired to be head coachs at some point. Saban has turned out more head coachs than NFL quarterbacks facepalm:
I think Venables will retire there. They pay him well and he has said he doesn't care to be a HC. Would rather keep contending for natties and stay at Clempson. They also just gave him a 5 year deal July 2018.

TinKnocker

2012 - 20th
2013 - 10th
2014 - 16th
2015 - 9th
2016 - 11th
2017 - 16th
2018 - 7th

This is a short sighted view that lacks context. Many of their players stay the full 4 years so often times their scholarships are more limited and they take smaller class sizes. Whan you can only take 15-20 players and other teams are taking 23-28 players, it is hard to finish top 10. The key is to focus on their player average. Not the total score that the rankings above are based on.

Last edited:

BamaGeorgialine

This is a short sighted view that lacks context. Many of their players stay the full 4 years so often times their scholarships are more limited and they take smaller class sizes. Whan you can only take 15-20 players and other teams are taking 23-28 players, it is hard to finish top 10. The key is to focus on their player average. Not the total score that the rankings above are based on.
I agree. I'm not sure about the doing more with less. They don't sign as many players but the players they do sign seem to be number one or two at their positions. Here in the last few years anyway. That was more true when they first got going on their run they are on now. I don't pull for Clemson but, I don't necessarily get a kick out of it when they lose either. After Syracuse beat them two years ago and Dabo went in to their locker room to congratulate them was a class act. And he seems genuine too.

TinKnocker

I agree. I'm not sure about the doing more with less. They don't sign as many players but the players they do sign seem to be number one or two at their positions.
Exactly. They haven't finished in the top 5 in the recruiting rankings in years. But everyone who finished ahead of them were able to sign more players.

Think of it this way, they have signed 52 players in the last 3 cycles. 34 of those were either 4 or 5 star recruits. Sometimes total points don't tell the whole story.

BuckNasty83

Bama has staff turnover every year. Never stopped them. Guys are going there because they can beat Bama (win NC) Not to hold hands and sing kumbaya with the staff

TinKnocker

Bama has staff turnover every year. Never stopped them. Guys are going there because they can beat Bama (win NC) Not to hold hands and sing kumbaya with the staff
What an asinine post. They most definitely commit to schools based on relationships with staff.

BamaGeorgialine

If they was the case, they would have never went to Clemson in the first place. Bama does lose four or five assistants a year. That's what makes Saban the best in my opinion. I don't think anyone else could overcome that big of a turnover year in and year out. Also, although it pains me to say this but, I think that you're finally starting to see the cracks. And if kids went purely for championships, Tennessee wouldn't have a team

James12

that part about Saban's staff turnover is in my opinion the number one example of why he's such a great coach - that he keeps the ship producing even with the turnover.

Latest posts