Clemson - Holy Recruits

DannyW

Not exactly true, the teams landing the top 3 classes regularly are still averaging 93-94. The point was Clemson also averages 93-94 but just signs fewer players. They’re getting quality but not quantity. Bama has been getting quality AND quantity. But the quantity was due to Bama sending so many juniors to the NFL and having extra scholarships each year.

Okay...ran the numbers.

For the period 2012 - 2018 the average recruit scores for 3 other top recruiting schools...

Alabama - 93.18
OSU - 92.28
UGA - 91.14
Clemson - 90.16

Total 4/5 star recruits for the same period...
Alabama - 128
OSU - 127
UGA - 108
Clemson - 77

Total 3 star recruits for the same period...
Alabama - 43
OSU - 42
UGA - 69
Clemson - 59

Clemson's recruiting classes, especially the number of 4/5 star players and the average overall score have been SIGNIFICANTLY less than at least 3 other programs over the 2012 - 2018 recruiting period. But they are holding their own (2nd) in signing 3 star recruits. And certainly held their own with 2 national championships in the last 4 years.

I'm guessing that this data will not change your view but it reinforces my opinion that over the past 6-8 season s that Dabo has done more with less.

BamaGeorgialine

Okay...ran the numbers.

For the period 2012 - 2018 the average recruit scores for 3 other top recruiting schools...

Alabama - 93.18
OSU - 92.28
UGA - 91.14
Clemson - 90.16

Total 4/5 star recruits for the same period...
Alabama - 128
OSU - 127
UGA - 108
Clemson - 77

Total 3 star recruits for the same period...
Alabama - 43
OSU - 42
UGA - 69
Clemson - 59

Clemson's recruiting classes, especially the number of 4/5 star players and the average overall score have been SIGNIFICANTLY less than at least 3 other programs over the 2012 - 2018 recruiting period. But they are holding their own (2nd) in signing 3 star recruits. And certainly held their own with 2 national championships in the last 4 years.

I'm guessing that this data will not change your view but it reinforces my opinion that over the past 6-8 season s that Dabo has done more with less.
Maybe you can run the numbers on their conference opponents records or recruiting average and that shows that the doing less with more is still subjective. I'm not taking anything away from them and their two champions but, if we're being honest, the road to getting there is A LOT easier. You and I know that their record wouldn't be the same in the SEC. I'm not being a homer either. That's just the way it is brother

BuckNasty83

Maybe you can run the numbers on their conference opponents records or recruiting average and that shows that the doing less with more is still subjective. I'm not taking anything away from them and their two champions but, if we're being honest, the road to getting there is A LOT easier. You and I know that their record wouldn't be the same in the SEC. I'm not being a homer either. That's just the way it is brother
But they smoked the best the SEC had to offer. So in the end, it didn't really matter. Besides, the SEC has been pretty weak the past few years

BamaGeorgialine

But they smoked the best the SEC had to offer. So in the end, it didn't really matter. Besides, the SEC has been pretty weak the past few years
They absolutely did that one game. All the other games leading up to that game was an easier road than what their opponents faced. Not even sure that is debatable but, I guess anything is. I was unaware that the ACC has been the juggernaut of college football the last few years. Besides Clemson, who is the beast you speak of? Maybe Syracuse two years ago when they beat Clemson and Clemson made the playoffs anyway. Not hardly. Again, that was one game. If a World Series was one game, the Braves would have multiple championships. The best team in college football doesn't always win the championship. It's all we have to go on. There are some years that the best team wins and I think the best team did last year. Just not every year

BuckNasty83

They absolutely did that one game. All the other games leading up to that game was an easier road than what their opponents faced. Not even sure that is debatable but, I guess anything is. I was unaware that the ACC has been the juggernaut of college football the last few years. Besides Clemson, who is the beast you speak of? Maybe Syracuse two years ago when they beat Clemson and Clemson made the playoffs anyway. Not hardly. Again, that was one game. If a World Series was one game, the Braves would have multiple championships. The best team in college football doesn't always win the championship. It's all we have to go on. There are some years that the best team wins and I think the best team did last year. Just not every year
I'm not calling the acc a juggernaut. But Clemson's schedule had 3 SEC teams on and it some of their opponents were annual rivals of the SEC. And they beat an undefeated ND. I know, ND is... Well ND. But they basically dabbled in an SEC schedule with 5 opponents if you look at it like that

BamaGeorgialine

I'm not calling the acc a juggernaut. But Clemson's schedule had 3 SEC teams on and it some of their opponents were annual rivals of the SEC. And they beat an undefeated ND. I know, ND is... Well ND. But they basically dabbled in an SEC schedule with 5 opponents if you look at it like that
Yeah. We can't count Notre Lame

James12

Imagine what the internet would look like if the Vols brought it home this year and won the SEC and Natty

TinKnocker

Going back to 2012 to talk about the team that blew Bama's doors off does not make much sense. The seniors on that D line came from the 15 class. Going back to 15 they averaged ~91.24. Not to mention both their natties were heavily assisted by generational talents at QB.

Either way, a 4 year average at 91+ doesn't exactly put you in a category of poverty and make a strong case for "doing more with less".

Also, it doesn't hurt that they played Pitt to win the conference and Pitt was literally a .500 team last year.

James12

Going back to 2012 to talk about the team that blew Bama's doors off does not make much sense. The seniors on that D line came from the 15 class. Going back to 15 they averaged ~91.24. Not to mention both their natties were heavily assisted by generational talents at QB.

Either way, a 4 year average at 91+ doesn't exactly put you in a category of poverty and make a strong case for "doing more with less".

Also, it doesn't hurt that they played Pitt to win the conference and Pitt was literally a .500 team last year.

.....but others continually do less with more, year after year.

DannyW

Going back to 2012 to talk about the team that blew Bama's doors off does not make much sense.

Agreed...picking selective periods of time, without some justification, can produce skewed or bias results. For example...over the past 6 years the ACC has won more NC's (3) than the SEC (2). But would that prove a point that the ACC is more of a powerhouse than the SEC? I think not...

The reason I choose the period 2012 - 2018 was that those are the recruits who could have impacted Clemson's recent run of NC wins or runner up finishes, either as freshmen or as seniors. I did have a reason for starting with the 2012 class.

joepuppy

Imagine what the internet would look like if the Vols brought it home this year and won the SEC and Natty
The Vegas odds would make someone a rich man, if anyone was crazy enough to bet on it. As a loyal Vol, even I know better than to take that bet. Good coaching cannot overcome a roster that is undersized and under talented. But stranger things have happened.