Clover, spring 2024

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Within the next 30 days, I will be killing off the wheat and grass that is popping up, with Clethodim. Not too many broadleaf weeds (yet) in my plots, but we will keep an eye on them.

Attachments

• Big Food Plot 3-10-2024.jpg
    Big Food Plot 3-10-2024.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 48

Canuck5

Clover is protein and is what male and female deer need this time of year. Time to freshen up mineral sites too ....

Attachments

• Minerals-1.JPG
    Minerals-1.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Nutritional Requirements1.JPG
    Nutritional Requirements1.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Nutrition.JPG
    Nutrition.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Nutrional Values.JPG
    Nutrional Values.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Nutritional Requirements.jpg
    Nutritional Requirements.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 10

Jim Boyd

Superior reporting.

I am finally going to try to work on some old and tired fields we have / and try to encourage some new fields that were planted with oats last year.

The new fields are not completely covered in clover (think mangy dog) but maybe with fertilizer and weed control, they might grow in?

@Canuck5 is the man!!!!!

DSGB

Unfortunately, we lost part of our lease last year where my clover plot was. Have a few logging decks that I plan to start over with, but am waiting until the lease is paid.

Canuck5

Just for reference ...... with clethodim, it could take 3 weeks before you see any signs of "death" and one way to check, is to pull the center of the grass out, like in the picture and if the bottom is brown, the grass is dead and just doesn't know it yet.

Attachments

• Clethodim Maximum.JPG
    Clethodim Maximum.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Clethodim herbicide leaf pulls out_0.jpg
    Clethodim herbicide leaf pulls out_0.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Clethodim 2.JPG
    Clethodim 2.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Clethodim 1.JPG
    Clethodim 1.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Clethodim Hand sprayer rates.JPG
    Clethodim Hand sprayer rates.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 13

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Within the next 30 days, I will be killing off the wheat and grass that is popping up, with Clethodim. Not too many broadleaf weeds (yet) in my plots, but we will keep an eye on them.

The grass is terrible in my plots this year, I am headed down around noon today to spray with a max rate of clethodim/crop oil.

I'm right behind y'all. Got the tractor to the mechanic Thursday morning, picked up lime and then cleared the side of one of my clover plots.

9-1.jpg

9-2.jpg

I've got some milk thistle poking out leaves and some grass popping up but it's been too wet to spray and now my tractor is down for service and a couple of repair items so I'm using daylight with no rain as best as I can.

Rooster Cogburn - "I am grown old."

Me - "It ain't the years. It's the miles." :bounce:

Canuck5

Beautiful!

Mine was sprayed on the 22nd, so, maybe in a couple more weeks, I will have something similar!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I still haven't sprayed mine. I took last weekend off to turkey hunt. I need to get after it though. My clover is starting to thicken back up good but so is the grass and broadleafs.

Jim Boyd

@doomtrpr_z71

@Canuck5

Hey guys

I have a gallon of Agrisel Grassout Max E - 25% clethodium

From what I read, I need 6-16 oz per acre.

Sound right?

If yes, I will shoot for 12 oz per acre.

Also what should the target be for crop oil at this rate.

I am far from a pro at this…. Sprayer is 60 gallons and we have not used it yet so this is gonna be a learning process for me.

I have first year fields with not a lot of weeds (yet) but we also have some club fields that are 3-4 years old and weeds of all type.

All advice for idiots is appreciated.

Drive, I got…… it is knowledge I am lacking in!!!!!

Canuck5

I shoot for 10-12 ounces/acre and I do use 1 quart to the acre of crop oil ..... non-ionic surfactant is probably a good option too

Attachments

• Clethodim Maximum.JPG
    Clethodim Maximum.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Clethodim Hand sprayer rates.JPG
    Clethodim Hand sprayer rates.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Clethodim 1.JPG
    Clethodim 1.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Clethodim 2.JPG
    Clethodim 2.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Canuck5

You can always measure off 1 acre, fill your tank with 20 gallons of water and then spray that one acre. See how close you get ..... in the ball park. Maybe try for around 8 mph and see where you come out.

Most important is knowing your gear, (ground speed) your rpm, your tank pressure and you should be able to get close enough, as long as you don't overlap too much. Right that all down, lol and be consistent.

Try to apply 20 gallons to the acre

Last edited:

Canuck5

You want the height of your "nozzle bar", so you get good coverage, but not a lot of overlap. This photo might have a little too much overlap, but you get the idea.

If you change the "tips in the nozzles" with a different size, you need to re-calibrate all over again.

Attachments

• spray pattern.JPG
    spray pattern.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 3

Canuck5

Canuck5

1 acre = 43,560 square feet