Clybel (Charlie Elliott) rifle range experience?

GAHUNTER60

Curious as to how the "digital targets" are working out. Some folks I've talked to up at Wilson Shoals range tell me they quit going to Clybel because the digital targets don't accurately register the location of their groups on the target, which is important when zeroing a rifle for long range hunting.

As a reloader, I shoot for both group and zero when testing hunting loads, and I have reservations about these new-fangled targets compared to plain old paper targets. Most concerning of all is that Wilson Shoals is slated to install the exact same system in the near future.

So what's your experienced?

frankwright

I have no experience but I know a good many shooters that go to CMP Park in Talladega and shoot competition and practice using the same sight system and they all love it.

Now whether the WMA range is using the same high quality system or not would be the question.

35 Whelen

This is the system used at Charlie Elliott according to the DNR website:

bighonkinjeep

I went to Wilson Shoals today for that very reason. When doing load development I want paper. Also had to check zero and adjust a thermal and that requires a heat pack or thermal target be placed downrange.

Its my understanding the "environmentalists" are making noise about the lead and forcing the change to bullet traps.

Last edited:

ditchdoc24

I live right around the corner from Charlie Elliot and I won't go there anymore to use the range for this reason. I got an AR upper in .350 Legend two years ago for Christmas and took it to CE to get it sighted in. The system is interesting but it doesn't produce accurate representations of where your bullet is hitting. I was trying to get the scope dialed in and the system was showing as if the bullets were striking all around in about a 4-5 inch group. Then there was no clear progression when I was adjusting the scope to show the movement of the bullet strikes. I even cut my range session short and went home to double check so I could make sure my rings and base were properly mounted. The next time I came back to try it again, same result. I took the same gun to a regular range and had it sighted within 10 minutes.

Reactions: Dub

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I live right around the corner from Charlie Elliot and I won't go there anymore to use the range for this reason. I got an AR upper in .350 Legend two years ago for Christmas and took it to CE to get it sighted in. The system is interesting but it doesn't produce accurate representations of where your bullet is hitting. I was trying to get the scope dialed in and the system was showing as if the bullets were striking all around in about a 4-5 inch group. Then there was no clear progression when I was adjusting the scope to show the movement of the bullet strikes. I even cut my range session short and went home to double check so I could make sure my rings and base were properly mounted. The next time I came back to try it again, same result. I took the same gun to a regular range and had it sighted within 10 minutes.
That is pretty much what I was getting at a local range that has the 100 yard electronic. I just didn't feel like I was getting consistent results. It will get you close, but on paper is much better for fine tuning.

Baroque Brass

Same system installed at Oakfield in Thomasville, the serious shooters come when the range isn’t busy and place paper targets down range.

Jester896

Senior Clown
pretty sure that is what is a Commander Range too. I haven't had a chance to check it out. I hope it is better than I understand from here.

GAHUNTER60

Well, the comments here kinda echo what folks at Wilson Shoals have told me about Clybel's digital system. Makes me look forward to the eventual changeover at Wilson Shoals with trepidation.

Who woulda thunk that soon it's gonna be hard to find a place to simply punch holes in paper targets!

bighonkinjeep

Well, the comments here kinda echo what folks at Wilson Shoals have told me about Clybel's digital system. Makes me look forward to the eventual changeover at Wilson Shoals with trepidation.

Who woulda thunk that soon it's gonna be hard to find a place to simply punch holes in paper targets!
Sounds like shooters need to send emails and calls to the decision makers with their concerns. They want imput from hunters on a regular basis maybe shooters need to take it upon themselves to provide some feedback.

Maybe being it to this fellas attention.

Dub

Agreed.

A good place to shoot is harder and harder to find.

01Foreman400

Staff member
A buddy called me yesterday saying he’d went and shot and Charlie Elliot. He said his shots were all over the place. He never could get it dialed in. He decided to take it to another range and it was shooting small groups and got it sighted in with a few shots.

Jester896

Senior Clown
i was talking with someone about this today since it came up. The guy said they were pretty good but don't have a POA on them. Some folks have a hard time when they don't have one. Could that be part of the problem?

trial&error

I went there this week, though I have reservations about new technology. When I dialed up the scope magnification the pattern on the target seemed to match what was being displayed. I put about 50 rounds down range and I was consistently high and left. I'm not calling it accurate, but very similar.