Took me long enough.....but I've been sipping the Blue Kool-Aid lately.

Dub

:rofl:

Ran a single stage eons ago. It's purpose was to provide some accurate hunting rounds for deer rifles & .44mag wheel guns.

I didn't then, nor do I now, own anything fancy on my hunting stuff. Everything is simply off the rack and "as is" with the exception being an occasional trigger job or trigger replacement. I was simply amazed at how little effort was required to produce excellent accuracy in each of the guns I hand loaded for. Simply followed the manuals and worked my way up in powder charge & seating depth and evaluated each change.

My hand loading fell off as soon as my hunting did. Seemed like there was always something that was getting in the way....work schedule, surgeries & recovery, family stuff...etc. I let the lease & hunting club stuff go, too.

Now, though....I find myself shooting handguns more often. Fun times at the range.

I've been able to keep my 9mm's fed with factory stuff but my .45acp guns are more costly. I figured that I could save a little bit with hand loading....but mainly, I'd enjoy the process. It's a gun-related hobby that I can indulge in while being at home and helping my wife out as she recovers from some ongoing medical stuff that she's doing great with.

A quick trip to the range a couple times a week will give allow for some fun trigger therapy. :rofl:

I'm building a small bench and setting up in a spare bedroom. It'll be smallish....but provided I'm organized....it'll suffice. We are planning on moving within the next year and she's okay with my idea of setting up a mancave room when we do. Reloading gear, gun safe, comfortable recliners/love seat, big TV & surround sound.

For now, though....a small bench will work.

My dad and my son are both college basketball fans....specifically NC Tarheel fans. They'll likely approve of the colors. :)

Been picking up current manuals from the bullet manufacturers I'll be using....mostly for future hunting stuff and for cross reference for current handgun target loads.

I enjoy shooting 200gr lswc's in my .45acp 1911's and each of them have been feeding them very well. I've been buying them from Wilson Combat's remanufactured ammo when it goes on sale. WC shows the components used for these.

It'll be great getting dialed in a similar 200gr lswc load using the newer coated bullets. I've been getting some stellar recommendations from a North Carolina based company and will starting with them first.

One thing is for certain.....my mail lady won't be liking me ordering bullets. These little suckers each had 500 rounds in them. Small, densely packed and HEAVY.

Getting powder and primers is gong to take more planning and looking around. Got these on sale for 1 cent hazmat fee + free shipping and at decent price on sale. CCI & Winchester primers were sold out. Big difference between sales prices + reduced S&H fees vs when it's not.

Hoping to have my bench set up in the next couple days and will be getting stuff mounted on it.

These guys had me covered on their elevated mount systems.

It will be mighty useful having it elevated to a more comfortable working height. I also will be using their press lighting system, too.

Modern day resource of Youtube will certainly be an asset....but I figured I couldn't go wrong getting a DVD copy of this, too.

I waited way too long to get back into things, but recent events had me hanging closer to the house for the foreseeable future and I was going stir-crazy at times. This will be a fun and gratifying hobby that will be entertaining, stress relieving and useful. I'll be able to sneak in there in the wee hours when I tend to be bumping around and can crank out whatever rounds will be needed for the weeks ahead.

Last edited:

Dub

Sounds like some good therapy!

I'm thinking it will be.

It used to be and the timing is actually perfect now to resume.....heck....my bride even sanctioned it. Gotta jump on opportunities like this. :rofl:

Reloading should be listed as a "sport" in it's self .....

I can spend some real quality time out on my press .... and all the other steps to reloading !!!

Looks like you got some good quality time coming soon ....?

I fully agree. It's something fun to get lost in for a while and tune out other distractions.

It was always very gratifying to work up a load and see it deliver great results. Sometimes it would go really easy....sometimes it could be more of a puzzle.

I'm grateful for my saddle time with a single stage. I've got a large learning curve ahead getting acclimated to running a progressive, but I hope the prior exposure will help ensure safe practices and consistent results.

When you're ready to load FMJ or plated try Everglades. 5% off sale most holidays

https://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets.html?caliber=4&grain_weight=238

They also carry brass, but for new brass, I go here

https://www.starlinebrass.com/

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep the bullets in mind.

Starline was what I used before....when I could find in the calibers I was running. I had zero complaints with their brass.

JeffinPTC

Another source of components and free reloading data is Nosler and their outlet,
www.Shootersproshop.com
They haven't had any really good deals lately, but if Winchester is having to discount primers 25%, I'm guessing other suppliers will follow.
I bought these 185 gr 45 for $125.20 as "overruns" in Jan, 17. Recently they have been $170, but now $209. Get on their email list and sign up as Vet, Mil, First responder for 10% off most stuff. I can't tell the diff in overruns, blems and new.
http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-products/bullets/shopby/f/caliber/45/isAjax/1.html
https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/45-auto-acp/
Notice tab at top for 230gr.

And if you really want to save a few, try Promo for about anything. I've "heard" you can use Red Dot data for Promo, but Promo works in a lot of things.
Promo has the same burn speed as Red Dot.

Here's a good source:

https://recobstargetshop.com/product/promo-8-alliant-powder__trashed/
https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/alliant-promo-8/
Google "the Load"

Dub

Another source of components and free reloading data is Nosler and their outlet,
www.Shootersproshop.com
They haven't had any really good deals lately, but if Winchester is having to discount primers 25%, I'm guessing other suppliers will follow.
I bought these 185 gr 45 for $125.20 as "overruns" in Jan, 17. Recently they have been $170, but now $209. Get on their email list and sign up as Vet, Mil, First responder for 10% off most stuff. I can't tell the diff in overruns, blems and new.
http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-products/bullets/shopby/f/caliber/45/isAjax/1.html
https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/45-auto-acp/
Notice tab at top for 230gr.

And if you really want to save a few, try Promo for about anything. I've "heard" you can use Red Dot data for Promo, but Promo works in a lot of things.
Promo has the same burn speed as Red Dot.

Here's a good source:

https://recobstargetshop.com/product/promo-8-alliant-powder__trashed/
https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/alliant-promo-8/
Google "the Load"

Thanks.

Nosler is really going to come into play when I finally can get into my hunting stuff.

I appreciate the links. Blems sound just fine provided there is no performance issue.

More blue stuff showed up again. :rofl:

I've read up on the use of ultrasonic cleaners....but I just went with that I was used to.....corn & walnut media and some good vibrations. (y)

Dub

You could put some orange accents on there.

Dillon is good stuff, I have a pair of 550's, one for small primer and one for large.

Enjoy

(y)

Thanks. Been absent from reloading/handloading for way too long.

Finally have the time to spend on it.

Press arrived. It'll be a little over a week or so before I'll have time to set it up and get started with it.

Really looking forward to getting up and running.

I can see where having two 550's would be a huge benefit.

rosewood

I have been sipping the blue since I first started reloading in maybe '04. New nothing about it and a friend recommended the 550B, so that is what I ordered. Love the press, but mostly use Lee dies in it.

Rosewood

Ajohnson0587

I love my 650, its the best progressive press on the market for civilian use. I shoot USPSA so I'm loading A LOT of ammo, I've already shot 10k of 9mm this yr and we are only in june. get the Dillon case feeder and a Bullet feeder from Double Alpha Academy and you will be set! IMO, I suggest a Lee bullet seating die or Redding's competition die, either one will allow you to dial in your Over All Length with ease. I also prefer the Lee De-capping/sizing die, the de-capping pin is stronger IMO.

Dub

I love my 650, its the best progressive press on the market for civilian use. I shoot USPSA so I'm loading A LOT of ammo, I've already shot 10k of 9mm this yr and we are only in june. get the Dillon case feeder and a Bullet feeder from Double Alpha Academy and you will be set! IMO, I suggest a Lee bullet seating die or Redding's competition die, either one will allow you to dial in your Over All Length with ease. I also prefer the Lee De-capping/sizing die, the de-capping pin is stronger IMO.

Man....you shoot a pile of ammo. Your trigger finger and press pulling arm/shoulder are getting a serous workout. :rofl:

What guns do you run in your USPSA events ?

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did wind up ordering the case feeder.

I have a few days off this week and hope to get my bench finished and the press mounted. I already have some brass ready.

Gonna be a fun week tinkering around with this stuff.

Ajohnson0587

Man....you shoot a pile of ammo. Your trigger finger and press pulling arm/shoulder are getting a serous workout. :rofl:

What guns do you run in your USPSA events ?

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did wind up ordering the case feeder.

I have a few days off this week and hope to get my bench finished and the press mounted. I already have some brass ready.

Gonna be a fun week tinkering around with this stuff.

yeah I shoot almost every weekend, when I started shooting 18m ago it was 6m later I ordered my 650 w/case feeder and I had 2 Frankford arsenal media tumblers, now I process brass in a cement mixer lol.

I shoot a Custom 2011- .40 (Limited), Custom 2011- 38 super (Open), Sig P320 X5 -9mm (Carry Optics), AR9 -9mm (Pistol Caliber Carbine)

Dr. Strangelove

Wow, looks like an awesome setup. I got back into loading again back in the fall, it's been very satisfying.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

yeah I shoot almost every weekend, when I started shooting 18m ago it was 6m later I ordered my 650 w/case feeder and I had 2 Frankford arsenal media tumblers, now I process brass in a cement mixer lol.

I shoot a Custom 2011- .40 (Limited), Custom 2011- 38 super (Open), Sig P320 X5 -9mm (Carry Optics), AR9 -9mm (Pistol Caliber Carbine)

Oh yeah.....you are no doubt burning up some serious ammo.

A couple months ago I'd have thought you were joking about the cement mixer. I've been poking around online and reading up as I've made the move to get back rolling with reloading again.

I ran across some folks that do theirs the same way.

Makes sense for that type of volume.

I'll be doing good just try to wear out an vibratory tumbler....gonna try & wear it out, at least.

Do you have any secret method for collecting your brass after your shoots....or is the old broom & dustpan the ticket ?

I'm gonna try using a net contraption that screws into a collapsable mini-tripod and will be positioned in the lane or on the shooting bench...in hopes that it'll catch most of it. I'll give it a test run this week.

Dub

You could put some orange accents on there.

Dillon is good stuff, I have a pair of 550's, one for small primer and one for large.

Enjoy

Well....some of that Orange did show up. :rofl:

One of the things that aggravated me with my old setup was not having a set of check weights that covered the span of charge weights I was likely to use.

I'll be able to keep things honest with these....like having my own little SEC Officials. :rofl:

Looks like your gonna be busy. Try not to wear that 1911 out. Haha

Have fun.

Gonna spread the love amongst a few pistolas...maybe I'll go ahead get some more springs and gun oil....and a bandaid for the ole' trigger finga. :biggestshoot:

I have been sipping the blue since I first started reloading in maybe '04. New nothing about it and a friend recommended the 550B, so that is what I ordered. Love the press, but mostly use Lee dies in it.

Rosewood

:cheers:

Wow, looks like an awesome setup. I got back into loading again back in the fall, it's been very satisfying.

Thanks.

I'm really looking forward to it.

My wife has been going through some medical difficulties and I've been spending my time offwork at home with her or taking her to various appointments. She's doing really well and I'm mighty grateful.

Been going a bit stircrazy, though and this will be a useful hobby to tinker around with yet be in earshot of her if she needs anything.

I've always wanted to reload my handgun range ammo and now I'll be set up for that.

Soon, I'll be looking into how I want to approach the handloading for my rifle stuff.

EDIT: The temporary bench I'm putting together for this had me concerned over how cramped the space would be for the shelves when I installed the bullet feeder. I'd been counting on adding the bullet feeder....but later on after I was up and running comfortably with this press. Figured that it wasn't really needed at first as I'd be going fairly slow.

Didn't want to build the bench and then have to alter it later on after mounting the feeder.....went ahead and ordered it. Came in today. Hopefully I'll be able to get things together soon.

Seems like every time I get started with this thing something comes up and takes priority for those days off work.

The delays are giving me more time to study up some. This press represents one of the few times in life that I haven't tossed the instructions aside. :rofl:

Last edited:

Ajohnson0587

The cement mixer is the only was to go when you start buying brass in bulk. I can clean 6k pieces in an hour or 2. The only brass I pick up is the .38 super, and that's because its about .14 a piece new. I have a few different websites that I buy 9mm & .40 from. The Caldwell brass retriever works great on most surfaces, except thick grass & pea gravel.
https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-125...ass+retriever&qid=1561402726&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Dub

Slowly getting there.

Work schedule hasn't been very conducive to setting stuff up.

Did get some time this afternoon to get a pair of Ultramounts put together....along with a stout & well-padded workbench stool I found on online for a fair price, free shipping, no tax and guaranteed delivery in like three hours, lol. Amazon may be a lot of things....but dangitman its convenient.

I decided to go in an ever so slightly different direction.

The XL650 will be left set up for larger runs of target ammo that Dad & I will eat up at a fairly good rate. Keeping him in .38spcl is gonna take some doing. He's retired and hits the range 2-3 times a week. He's fortunate to have a supernice range really close to his home. Golf course one morning. Pistol range the next....with shooting pool at the Elks lodge on rainy days. :)

Gonna run dedicated toolheads with dies, powder measure & powder check on: 9mm, .45acp, .38scpl, .44scpl/mag.

I wanted the ability to develop those target loads and workup hunting stuff, etc swapping back and forth with ease. Manual charge weighing...dedicated toolheads with dies only. No case feeder wanted.
Simple...but able to be productive in the spare hour or two I may have for a bench session.

I decided to go ahead and get the 550 for this purpose.

Figured if everything else was blue....might as well keep it rolling with the stool, too. :) It came in black and other colors. Gotta love mail order.

Next consecutive days off I get will see the bench going into place and mounting gear on it.

I'd get to it right now but have some hongry folks to feed and a grill to tend to.

From here on out my spare pocket change will be going towards primers, powders and boolets.

New Blue stuff showed up today, too.

Have some upcoming time off to get it all running soon....just have to wait for the next break in work schedule to come up without overtime shifts.

Last edited:

rosewood

From here on out my spare pocket change will be going towards primers, powders and boolets.

I have to correct you. If they are jacketed (J-word), they are bullets. If cast, they are called boolits....