Coast hunting

Hammockben1

I have been wanting to make time to go to the coast and duck hunt I only hunt rivers and creeks which is only what's around here for me to hunt I am tired of wood ducks and I want something more the only thing I have ever shot is only one mallard I have been going now for 5 years. Now I have been trying to find rules and regulatuons on coast hunting like where you can and can not hunt things like that not sure if it's like on the river where you can hunt anywhere just as long your in the river way I really could use some advice thanks in advance.

27metalman

King Killer Delete is who you need to ask about coastal hunting in Georgia. Lots of folks speak highly of him. Shoot him a PM and see if he can advise you. All I know is swamp hunting. :)

BaldofPate

Do a lot of research on this, hunting tidal waters can be about as dangerous as it gets if you are unprepared. Forget about swamps and lakes and gain as much info from other sources on coastal hunting / terrain. I've only hunted the coast for five seasons now, and it can be humbling, but rewarding. Like the other guy said talk to King Killer, he sounds like the subject matter expert. If you want to kill many different species on public water instate they are here, you just have to put in the miles on the water and roads. Good luck.

Hammockben1

Do a lot of research on this, hunting tidal waters can be about as dangerous as it gets if you are unprepared. Forget about swamps and lakes and gain as much info from other sources on coastal hunting / terrain. I've only hunted the coast for five seasons now, and it can be humbling, but rewarding. Like the other guy said talk to King Killer, he sounds like the subject matter expert. If you want to kill many different species on public water instate they are here, you just have to put in the miles on the water and roads. Good luck.
Well let me ask this much I have a 19 ft bass tracker with a 25 mercury on it and a 1432 Jon boat with a 15 merc on it which would you prefer being in on the marsh hunting my thought was if low tide came and me having smaller lighter boat it would make it easy on me getting boat back on water seeing how I'll be alone really dont talk to ppl that duck hunt let alone going with anyone

27metalman

My opinion... the coast is like being on a river ----- Never go alone! A lot of people go alone and I do myself a good bit, but never on a river and I'd sure not attempt the coast. Like BaldofPate mentioned above about the tides. Ask anyone that has been in the Keaton beach area. That low or negative tide will leave you stranded for a good portion of the day. East coast not as bad, but still. Rip current like to have got me when I was about 8 or 9. That salt water is trechtrous.

little rascal

ask Mud Ducker he can tell ya some stories like Dep 6 and some some pullover excursions at Darien!

BaldofPate

Don't go alone. If you get stuck up to your knees in the pluff mud at low tide you will drown if someone doesn't find you before it's too late. I got stuck once and was fortunate enough to have three buddies throw me a rope and help pull me out. The mud will do the same to a boat if it stuck and it will get swamped when the tide comes back in. It is possible to swim on top of mud if you are in dire straits. Ask me how I know.

Hammockben1

Yeah all this is new to me like I said originally I only hunt rivers and creek's and occasional swamp here and there and for 5 years now it's only been just me

g0nef1sshn

there are a few here that will probably chime in with the experience in the coast marshes. I hunted there with a few and it was an experience. The tide swing is insane and can leave you stranded fast. big boat or little boat wont really matter if the water drops out on you. you can not just hop out the boat and pull it. puff mud. you sink in it. PM killer like mentioned.

Hammockben1

I sent PM yesterday but the biggest thing I am haiting right now is the fact I dont have ppl that actually duck hunt and if they do they dont want to go 2 and half hours away to hunt

kingfish

If you are talking Florida west coast, take a full year and fish where you want to duck hunt. I hunt the Florida gulf coast and do it out of a canoe and gheenoe, shore based not open water. Not that I'm all that, but over the years by fishing, I've been able to find points and coves that have hard bottom and are easy to get to by way of creeks. They are also relatively safe. Learn the effect of the wind and how it moves water with the tides. Anything out of the east in any direction and I don't even consider going. I hunt incoming tide and first 2 hours of out going only. You do NOT have to have a million decoys to get action. It doesn't hurt, but I run 2 strings of 12 All drakes bluebills and redheads and then fill in with drake buffleheads on the outskirts of the strings. It is a commitment to learn the gulf and it can be incredibly frustrating. You will see numbers of ducks that will take your breath away and not pull the trigger. You will push hundreds of ducks out of the point or cove you are going to set up on and not pull the trigger. The reason I do it is because the thought of decoying redheads and bluebills without any competition is what I enjoy the most about duck hunting. Plus there is just something about relaxing on a point staring out into the gulf. Not for everyone but I like it.

Hammockben1

Ok I have a question now for coast hunting is it a total of any combination of 6 ducks or can I kill the limit of each duck howd does that work on limit wise

Hammockben1

And what shot size do yall recommend back home number 2 or 3 is what we use due to woodies but seeing how these things are bigger I ain't to sure

Hammockben1

If you are talking Florida west coast, take a full year and fish where you want to duck hunt. I hunt the Florida gulf coast and do it out of a canoe and gheenoe, shore based not open water. Not that I'm all that, but over the years by fishing, I've been able to find points and coves that have hard bottom and are easy to get to by way of creeks. They are also relatively safe. Learn the effect of the wind and how it moves water with the tides. Anything out of the east in any direction and I don't even consider going. I hunt incoming tide and first 2 hours of out going only. You do NOT have to have a million decoys to get action. It doesn't hurt, but I run 2 strings of 12 All drakes bluebills and redheads and then fill in with drake buffleheads on the outskirts of the strings. It is a commitment to learn the gulf and it can be incredibly frustrating. You will see numbers of ducks that will take your breath away and not pull the trigger. You will push hundreds of ducks out of the point or cove you are going to set up on and not pull the trigger. The reason I do it is because the thought of decoying redheads and bluebills without any competition is what I enjoy the most about duck hunting. Plus there is just something about relaxing on a point staring out into the gulf. Not for everyone but I like it.
How much are the licences in Florida I dont go there much but been wanting to go to Florida more it takes 4 and half hours to get to the coast of Florida from my house