Cockspur Lighthouse near Tybee Island GA

I have taken some recommendations and have started editing some of my photos that I have been taking. This was a picture I took about a week ago on Tybee Island Ga. There are two light houses on Tybee, there is the main one that is still active and then this one. Cockspur lighthouse, which marks the south channel of Savannah River.

Attachments

• lighthouse.jpg
    lighthouse.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 249

wvdawg

Staff member
Cool capture. The addiction begins.

Because Im new at this and would like to know how to take a better shot, why would taking it at high tide be better? Obviously the base of the lighthouse and oysterbar will be covered... Also, what would you think would be better, the Lighthouse in focus and the driftwood having that little blur? Because I have the same shot just reversed.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Great shot !!!

Cockspur Island is where the Union Army first used rifled cannon against the Confederates in Fort Pulaski in April of 1862. A large portion of the forts walls were destroyed in the attack.
It became apparent afterwards that mortar forts could not stand up to rifled cannon. The Union Army artillery was set up at an area east of the fort toward Tybee Island.

Sea dawg1978

If the light house is the subject then I would have it in focus. And I agree about coming back at high tide, it would give it a more dramatic feel with the base of the light house under water. Just my .02 though.. Cool shot none the less..

CowetaLonghorn

Nice pic and I like the subjects in it. I would wait until 30 minutes before sunset to take a pic like that. You can tell the lighthouse is a little "washed out". In other words it's really white with no detail. More horizontal light will help that and add color. Also try playing with your aperture. The higher it is the more focused your background will be in relation to your foreground. You'll just have to adjust your shutter speed and ISO. You can have both subjects in focus which helps particularly if both are interesting like you have here. You're off to a great start!