Computer Problem

Jim Ammons

I have a HP 640 G2 laptop computer that works fine off of electricity. Battery will not charge. I have replaced with 2 new batteries and they both drained down to 1% while installed and will not charge. I have updated, done everything HP support suggested, added new16 memory ram. As stated everything works except battery charging. Any advice from the computer experts?

jeg

Have you tried a different charger, could be a broken cord or something. It is possible the AC port is dirty (lint, dirt, etc) and not allowing proper contact when plugged in, try some pressurized air blowing it out and maybe *carefully* cleaning with something like a tooth pick. Possible the battery connection is not fully slotted, has lint bocking it and needs blowing off, or maybe damaged (battery or motherboard side) and not actually connecting. 1678323326826.png

Other than that, if the appropriate voltage is making it to the charging port, there is something awry with the port where it connects internally or with some of the the internals, and that is better off for a repair service.

Edit: If it is running while plugged in using the same cord, seems both the cord and port are functioning.

DannyW

I have a HP 640 G2 laptop computer that works fine off of electricity. Battery will not charge. I have replaced with 2 new batteries and they both drained down to 1% while installed and will not charge. I have updated, done everything HP support suggested, added new16 memory ram. As stated everything works except battery charging. Any advice from the computer experts?

No computer expert here but it sounds like you may have a defective charger. Pretty simple and inexpensive to check, chargers on eBay are $20-30.

Adding memory is a nice benefit but shouldn't have any affect, plus or minus, on battery charging.

Jim Ammons

No computer expert here but it sounds like you may have a defective charger. Pretty simple and inexpensive to check, chargers on eBay are $20-30.

Adding memory is a nice benefit but shouldn't have any affect, plus or minus, on battery charging.
Already tried new one. Old one & new one checking out at 19+ volts as they should.

specialk

time for a new 'puter.,..

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Sounds like the AC charging port has gone bad. If I recall, some of those can be replaced, and some are part of the motherboard, and can't.

trial&error

The battery charging function has onboard protection with a SMC components on a multilayered board. Not worth the expense to repair. Just use it near a power outlet.