Congrats to the LSU Tiger Baseball Team!

Boudreaux

For winning the SEC regular season and SEC tournament trophies. And got to beat UGA back-to-back in doing so! Adding more trophies to an already crowded trophy case.

HOOVER, Ala. -- Blake Dean's three RBI and a solid pitching performance by senior left-hander Ryan Byrd led No. 2 LSU to a 6-2 victory over Vanderbilt to capture the 2009 SEC tournament championship Sunday afternoon at Regions Park.

The Tigers (46-16) won their second consecutive SEC tournament title -- and their conference-best eighth overall -- becoming the first team to win back-to-back conference tournament crowns since Alabama won in 2002 and 2003. LSU won five straight games in the tournament after dropping the opening round game to Vanderbilt 4-1 on Wednesday.

"I'm so proud of this team," LSU coach Paul Mainieri said. "I told them after the loss to Vanderbilt the first time around that it's impossible to win every game in one day. I told them to take it a game at a time and to give a great effort every time and they responded like a championship team should."

The NCAA announced Sunday that LSU would serve as one of the 16 host sites for an NCAA Regional, which will begin Friday. Florida and Ole Miss are the two other SEC schools that will host.
The NCAA will announce the other three teams that will participate in the NCAA Baton Rouge Regional on Monday. The selection show begins at 11:30 a.m. Monday on ESPN.

Freshman centerfielder Mikie Mahtook was named 2009 SEC Tournament MVP. Mahtook hit .454 in the tournament, going 10-for-22 with three RBI, two runs scores and 17 put outs.
Also named to the All-Tournament team were LSU designated hitter Blake Dean, shortstop Austin Nola and pitcher Daniel Bradshaw.

Dean, who was named tournament MVP last season, had four RBI and five runs scored in this year's tournament. Nola also scored five runs and had 19 assists defensively, while Bradshaw was the hero in Saturday's first game with Georgia, as he threw seven scoreless innings and allowed only three hits.

Byrd (1-0) had an impressive performance Sunday, throwing seven innings and allowing only two runs on five hits, while walking one and striking out three.

"I'm so glad Ryan Byrd was able to pitch the way he did," Mainieri said. "As a senior, he's meant so much to this program and it was great for him to be able to start the SEC championship game and pitch the way he did."

Leading LSU offensively Sunday was leftfielder Leon Landry, who went 3-for-5 with two doubles and two runs scored.
The Tigers took an early 1-0 lead in the first inning after Landry led off the game with a double and scored on an infield grounder by Blake Dean.

Vanderbilt starting pitcher Nick Christiani held the Tigers hitless through the next two innings before surrendering a double to catcher Micah Gibbs in the fourth. Gibbs' double extended his hitting streak to 14 games.

The next batter, Mikie Mahtook singled up the middle to score Gibbs and put LSU up 2-0. Mahtook then stole second and advanced to third on an infield single by Jared Mitchell.
The Tigers went up 3-0 after DJ LeMahieu hit a sacrifice fly to center to score Mahtook.

Vanderbilt got on the board in the bottom of the fourth when right fielder Steven Liddle hit a solo homer over the right field wall. It was Liddle's 10th homer of the season.

LSU responded in the fifth when Austin Nola walked and scored on Landry's second double of the game, extending the Tigers' lead to 4-1.

Landry advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt by Ryan Schimpf and later scored on a sacrifice fly by Dean to increase the LSU advantage to 5-1.

After Austin Nola walked and Landry and Schimpf delivered back-to-back singles in the seventh, LSU had the bases loaded for Dean with only one out. Dean blasted a pitch to the warning track in right-center field, but it was caught by Vandy centerfielder Jonathan White. The sacrifice fly scored Nola and gave LSU a 6-1 lead.

The Commodores added another run in the seventh when first baseman Curt Casali blasted a solo homer off Byrd, cutting the deficit to 6-2.

Senior right-hander Buzzy Haydel came in to close the game in the eighth as Byrd got a standing ovation as he left the mound.
Haydel allowed only one hit in the last two innings, while walking none and striking out one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LSU Quotes
LSU Head Coach Paul Mainieri
On winning the SEC Tournament Championship...
"Obviously, being the champions for the tournament for the second consecutive year is something we are proud of. A lot of people wondered what kind of effort or intensity our players might have in this tournament because we had already won the regular-season championship. I always knew what kind of effort these kids would give. They only know how to play the game one way and that's at full speed. When we lost that first game, we tipped our hat to the pitcher from Vanderbilt. He was outstanding, but I knew our kids would not give up. I told them to take it one game at a time and that was our approach. I told the kids if you think in terms of having to win five in a row, that's just overwhelming. Let's just go out there and play one solid game and get the next one after that. Fortunately we were able to have a great tournament."

On the team's performance throughout the tournament...
"For me, this championship was won because of our pitching as a group. The job our pitching coach has done with these kids is absolutely amazing. To see the way all these kids know how to utilize thier ability and how well they have done. We took advantage of playing in a much larger ballpark, but I don't think we even walked a batter today. With Bradshaw, Cain, and everyone else, we forced the other teams to swing the bats and we had great outfield defense and infield defense. I think that was the key for us."

Ryan Byrd, LSU Starting Pitcher
On getting the start in the clinching game...
"I would say this ranks up there pretty high. I want to thank coach for believing in me and giving me the opportunity to pitch today. He came to me on the bus and asked me if I wanted the ball and it definitely gave me a boost of confidence. When your head coach has that kind of confidence in you and 25 guys behind you that believe in you, its a pretty good feeling."

Boudreaux

LSU CAPTURES REGIONAL TITLE WITH 10-3 WIN OVER MINNESOTA

BATON ROUGE -- Catcher Micah Gibbs' four-hit performance led LSU's 17-hit barrage as the Tigers stormed past Minnesota 10-3 to capture the NCAA Baton Rouge Regional title Sunday night at Alex Box Stadium.

The Tigers (49-16) captured their 18th NCAA Regional title. LSU will host an NCAA Super Regional next weekend at Alex Box Stadium against the winner of the Houston Regional, either Kansas State or Rice.

The NCAA will announce tomorrow if the Super Regional will begin on Friday or Saturday of this week.

LSU extended its win streak to eight games in capturing the 18th NCAA Regional title in school history. The Tigers captured the regional title after winning the SEC regular-season and SEC Tournament championships over the previous two weekends.

"Obviously, we're very excited to have won the regional and get a chance to advance to the next level," LSU coach Paul Mainieri said. "This makes three weekends in a row that we've won a championship. I don't think winning championships ever gets old; it's always a lot of fun. This championship is a unique one because there are no trophies given for this championship – we have to win next weekend to get another trophy."

Louis Coleman (12-2) had another brilliant performance, throwing 7.2 innings and allowing one run on five hits while walking none and striking out eight. Coleman was named to the All-Regional team along with catcher Micah Gibbs, shortstop Austin Nola, first baseman Sean Ochinko and outfielder Jared Mitchell.

LSU right hander Anthony Ranuado was named Most Outstanding Player at the Baton Rouge Regional for his magnificent nine inning performance Saturday night against Baylor when he allowed only three hits and struck out 14.

Along with Gibbs' four hits, the Tigers were paced offensively by Ryan Schimpf, who went 3-for-5 with two RBI. Derek Helenihi, DJ LeMahieu and Jared Mitchell also collected two hits apiece for LSU.

LSU took a 3-0 lead in the second inning when DJ LeMahieu doubled to right center, scoring Micah Gibbs and advancing Sean Ochinko to third. The next batter, third baseman Derek Helenihi singled up the middle to score Ochinko and LeMahieu.

Ryan Schimpf doubled a few batters later to score Helenihi and put the Tigers up 4-0.

The Tigers increased their lead in the third to 5-0 when Blake Dean belted a solo homer over the wall in left. It was Dean's 15th homer of the year.

LSU continued scoring in the third when Ochinko singled to right to plate Gibbs and give the Tigers a 6-0 advantage. LeMahieu followed with a sacrifice fly to right, scoring Mikie Mahtook and putting LSU ahead 7-0.

The Tigers added two more in the sixth when Dean singled home Jared Mitchell and Gibbs followed with an RBI double to make the score 9-0 in favor of LSU.

Minnesota got on the board in the bottom of the seventh when catcher Kyle Knudson hit a solo homer to left center off Coleman to make the score 9-1. It was Knudson's fourth homer of the season.

In the top of the eighth the Tigers responded when Schimpf blasted a solo homer deep over the right field wall to increase the LSU lead to 10-1. The homer was Schimpf's 18th of the season.

Minnesota added two runs in the ninth when first baseman Nick O'Shea launched a two-run homer to left to make the score 10-3.

Boudreaux

Back-to-Back CWS births!

Another First at New Alex Box: Omaha-Bound Dogpile!

06/06/2009
by Jesse Delerno
Student Assistant SID

BATON ROUGE -- LSU starter [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=217399&Q_SEASON=2008"]Louis Coleman[/URL] allowed only three runs in eight innings, and the top-ranked Tigers completed a two-game sweep of No. 6 Rice with a 5-3 victory Saturday afternoon in Alex Box Stadium to advance to the College World Series for the 15th time in school history.

A record crowd of 9,651 was on hand to watch the Tigers advance to Omaha in its inaugural season at the new stadium.

LSU (51-16) extended its win streak to 10 games and improved to 117-44 all-time in NCAA Tournament games, which is the highest winning percentage (.727) in tournament history. The Tigers will be making back-to-back trips to the CWS for the first time since 2004.

Rice finished its season with a record of 43-18.

“Omaha, here come the Tigers,” said LSU coach [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=319086&Q_SEASON=2008"]Paul Mainieri[/URL]. “We’re going to go up to Omaha and I know our fans are going to go up. We’re going to have a lot of fun up there. This year we’re going to go up there with seven great ball clubs. I figure one team has to win, so it might as well be us. We’re going to go up there with the idea that we’re going to put another trophy in the trophy case and give it our best effort.
“I don’t know if I feel great or relieved. This has been a real grind to get to this point because this season started with such promise for our team. Our kids have been under the microscope all year, and a lot has been expected of them. They just are so remarkable in their consistency, poise, composure and how they have been able to handle those expectations. I’m just so happy for all of them. They deserve it. Now we go get to have a great experience together in Omaha.”

Coleman (13-2) earned his fourth straight win as the SEC Pitcher of the Year allowed nine hits and struck out five batters. Freshman closer [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1524999&Q_SEASON=2008"]Matty Ott[/URL] secured the victory with his 16th save of the season.

Rice starter Ryan Berry (7-2) suffered only his second loss of the season after giving up five earned runs on eight hits and four walks in five innings of work.
Third baseman [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1152488&Q_SEASON=2008"]Derek Helenihi[/URL] led the Tigers at the plate with two hits and two RBI. The senior also blasted his fourth home run of the season. Designated hitter [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=603282&Q_SEASON=2008"]Blake Dean[/URL] also had two hits on the afternoon, and catcher [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1152498&Q_SEASON=2008"]Micah Gibbs[/URL] and center fielder [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1524992&Q_SEASON=2008"]Mikie Mahtook[/URL] each drove in one run apiece.

The Tigers got off to a quick start, jumping out to a 1-0 advantage in the top of the first. Second baseman [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1152511&Q_SEASON=2008"]DJ LeMahieu[/URL] led off the game with a double down the right field line, and left fielder [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=603292&Q_SEASON=2008"]Ryan Schimpf[/URL] and Gibbs each walked to load the bases with one out. Mahtook then followed with an RBI grounder to bring home LeMahieu.
Rice second baseman Brock Holt tied the game at 1-1 in the third with a solo shot over the wall in right center field.

LSU regained the lead with a run in the top of the fourth to go up, 2-1. Following a double by right fielder [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=233497&Q_SEASON=2008"]Jared Mitchell[/URL] and a base hit by first baseman [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=603290&Q_SEASON=2008"]Sean Ochinko[/URL], Helenihi singled through the middle of the infield to plate Mitchell.
However, the Owls came back to tie it at 2-2 in the bottom of the frame. Designated hitter Diego Seastrunk doubled into the gap in left center and reached third on a fielding error before left fielder Michael Fuda drove him in on a perfectly placed bunt single down the first base line.

The Tigers added two runs in the top of the fifth to take a 4-2 advantage. Schimpf walked to lead off the inning, and Dean drilled a double into the gap in left center to put two men in scoring position.

Gibbs then drove in Schimpf on an RBI grounder to second, and Dean later scored on a wild pitch by Berry.

Helenihi launched a solo homer to the opposite field to give LSU a 5-2 lead in the sixth inning, but Seastrunk returned the favor with a solo dinger of his own in the bottom of the frame to cut the deficit to 5-3.

Meanwhile, Coleman remained strong deep into the game, allowing only one hit in the seventh and eighth innings and keeping the Owls off the scoreboard.
Ott entered in the ninth and retired three of the four batters he faced. The right-hander fanned Holt to end the game.

TIXGGRGGBYHPWUW.20090606180145.jpg

It looks like the SEC may have a chance to send 4 teams - LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Florida to the CWS. Not too bad for a "football" conference!

Boudreaux

Well, the SEC got 2 of 'em in there.

Still not too bad for a "football" conference.

GEAUX TIGERS!

Boudreaux

LSU looked good last night. Played the complete game, picking up runs throughout. Hope they keep the Purple Voodo going a little longer. I hope the break until the 19th doesn't get them rusty.

Game 6 Recap - Arkansas vs LSU
OMAHA -- Mikie Mahtook's three-run home run set the tone early, and Austin Nola and Blake Dean put the game out of reach with blasts during a five-run sixth, as LSU moved to 2-0 at the College World Series with a 9-1 win over Arkansas Monday night at Rosenblatt Stadium.

The Tigers seized control early by giving the Razorbacks a dose of their own medicine by scoring with two outs. Arkansas, which had 30 two-out RBI in their first six NCAA tournament games, saw LSU jump out to a 3-0 lead in the top of the first when D.J. LeMahieu singled and moved to second on a walk by Ryan Schimpf. After Arkansas starter Brett Eibner retired Dean and Micah Gibbs, Mahtook hit a 3-2 changeup over the wall in left for an early cushion.

Arkansas answered by manufacturing a run in its half of the first. Ben Tschepikow laced a one-out double, advanced to third on a single from Scott Lyons, and scored on Andy Wilkins' sacrifice fly. The Tigers, however, got the run right back in the second after LeMahieu reached on a two-out single and scored on Schimpf's double. After Eibner walked Dean, T.J. Forrest came in and struck out Gibbs to keep it a 4-1 game. While Forrest was able to keep LSU in check for the next few innings, it did not matter much because of the effort from Tiger starter Louis Coleman. After allowing the first-inning run, Coleman ran into trouble in the second and third frames, putting two on with one out both times. But he worked out of those jams and then settled in from there. Coleman retired the side in order in the fourth, worked around a two-out double by Wilkins in the fifth, and a one-out single from Jacob House in the sixth.

LSU broke the game open in its half of the sixth as Nola hit a solo shot to left with one out to make it 5-1. Forrest issued a two-out walk to Schimpf and Dean made it a costly one when he cleared the wall in right to make it 7-1 and chase Forrest from the game. Sam Murphy relieved and gave up a single to Gibbs before walking Mahtook. Jared Mitchell then plated Gibbs with a single, and a throwing error by Arkansas leftfielder Chase Leavitt allowed Mahtook to come in with the fifth and final run of the inning, making it 9-1.

Coleman left after going six innings, allowing six hits, three walks and recording seven strikeouts. He threw 106 pitches, 70 of them for strikes. Daniel Bradshaw was effective in relief, shutting the Razorbacks out in his two innings of work, while Nolan Cain worked a scoreless ninth for the Tigers.

LSU, which improved to 53-16 with the victory, is now off until Friday, when they will play either Arkansas or Virginia at 1 p.m. CST. The Razorbacks, who fell to 40-23, face UVa at 6 p.m. Wednesday, with the winner advancing to Friday's tilt with the Tigers.

bullgator

Congrats guys.....do well.

Boudreaux

Two of the most storried programs in college baseball will face off for the national title. Should be a good series to watch. Hoping there's still enought Purple Voodo in the tank to win 2 more games!

College World Series: LSU will play Texas at 6 p.m. on Monday

Posted by [URL="http://blog.nola.com/lsusports/about.html"]Jim Kleinpeter, TheTimes Picayune[/URL] June 20, 2009 10:56AM

OMAHA, NEB. - LSU and Texas, two of college baseballs powerhouses, collide beginning Monday at 6 p.m. in the College World Series championship round.

Both teams will go with their ace pitchers. Righthander Chance Ruffin (10-2, 3.27 earned run average) will start for Texas and righthander Louis Coleman (14-2, 2.68) for LSU in the first game of a best two-of-three series. All games will begin at 6 p.m.

Texas owns six NCAA baseball championships and LSU five, second and third behind USC's 12 titles. LSU is actually tied with Arizona State for third.

On the surface it looks like power ball vs. small ball. LSU has hit nine home runs in three games and has 103 foir the season.

Texas plays the small ball game under former Cal State Fullerton Coach Augie Garrido. But it didn't look that way Friday.

Texas rallied for a 4-3 victory against Arizona state with solo home runs in the ninth inning by Cameron Rupp and Connor Rowe. Rupp tied the game with a 408-feet blast over the batting eye in centerfield and then Rowe won it in walk-off style with a blast to left.

Texas hit three home runs in that game, giving the Longhorns 45 for the season and six in the CWS. Rupp leads the Horns with 11 overall.

waterdogs

Good games all around. Just like last year, you never know who will show up to play. LSU wins hands down... Go Tigers

kevina

Banned
Congrats to your Tigers Comeaux.

Corndogs all around on the house:cool:

Boudreaux

LSU goes up 1-0 in the final series in a nail-biter of a game!

I have no idea how they hung around long enough to win that one. The Longhorns looked much more ready to play, but we'll take that victory.

Hopefully, LSU can carry this momentum into tomorrow night's game and win it in two.

Boudreaux

Late Rallies Put Tigers Within Game of Title, 7-6

06/22/2009
by www.LSUsports.net
LSU Sports Interactive

ELSWMFJZXTCGPJV.20090623034811.jpg

OMAHA, Neb. -- After second baseman [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1152511&Q_SEASON=2008"]DJ LeMahieu[/URL] erased a 6-4 deficit with a two-out RBI double in the ninth, centerfielder [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1524992&Q_SEASON=2008"]Mikie Mahtook[/URL] laced a two-out RBI single in the 11th to give top-ranked LSU a 7-6 victory over Texas in game 1 of the National Championship series Monday night at Rosenblatt Stadium.

Freshman right-hander [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1524999&Q_SEASON=2008"]Matty Ott[/URL] (4-2) earned the win for LSU, throwing three shutout innings between the ninth and eleventh, allowing no hits and striking out three.
“That was one of the most courageous, never-say-die, resilient effort out of one of my teams in 27 years of coaching,” LSU head coach [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=319086&Q_SEASON=2008"]Paul Mainieri[/URL] said. “It was a total team effort tonight...one for the ages.”

The Tigers (55-16) will face Texas (49-15-1) Tuesday night at 6 p.m. CT. An LSU win will clinch a sixth national championship and its first since 2000.

Game 2 will be televised on ESPN-HD and will be aired on the LSU Sports Radio Network (WDGL 98.1 FM in Baton Rouge). Live audio and stats can be accessed in the Geaux Zone at www.lsusports.net.

LSU’s bullpen of [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=785341&Q_SEASON=2008"]Chad Jones[/URL], [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=217396&Q_SEASON=2008"]Paul Bertuccini[/URL] and Ott allowed no hits in the final five innings in relief of starter [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=217399&Q_SEASON=2008"]Louis Coleman[/URL].

“Our bullpen has been fantastic the last month of the season,” Mainieri said. “It was great to see the rest of the guys pick up Coleman and rally around him, because he had a pretty tough outing.”

Coleman pitched six innings and allowed six runs on nine hits, including five solo homers, while striking out six.

Offensively, the Tigers were led by a 2-for-4 performance by LeMahieu, who also had three RBI and scored twice. Rightfielder [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=233497&Q_SEASON=2008"]Jared Mitchell[/URL] also had two hits, including a two-RBI triple.

LSU wasted no time getting on the scoreboard as leftfielder [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=603292&Q_SEASON=2008"]Ryan Schimpf[/URL], the second batter of the game, blasted the second pitch from Texas starter Chance Ruffin over the wall in right center to put the Tigers up 1-0. It was Schimpf’s 22nd homer of the season and his third in the College World Series.

After notching only one hit through the first three innings, Texas tied the score in the fourth with a solo home run by second baseman Travis Tucker to tie the score at 1-1.
Two batters later, designated hitter Russell Moldenhauer crushed a ball off one of the flagpoles in centerfield to give the Longhorns a 2-1 advantage. It was only the second homer of the year for Moldenhauer.

Texas right fielder Kevin Keyes belted the Longhorns’ third solo homer in the inning two batters later, giving Texas a 3-1 lead. It was the first time a team has hit three homers in an inning at the College World Series since June 1, 1998, when LSU hit three against Mississippi State.

In the sixth, Ruffin left the game with two outs and [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=603282&Q_SEASON=2008"]Blake Dean[/URL] on third and [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1152498&Q_SEASON=2008"]Micah Gibbs[/URL] on first, giving way to left-handed reliever Austin Wood. The next batter, [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=233497&Q_SEASON=2008"]Jared Mitchell[/URL], hit a triple to left-center field, scoring Dean and Gibbs, tying the score at 3-3.
Ruffin threw 5.2 innings and allowed three runs on five hits with one walk, while tying a season-high with 10 strikeouts.

The Longhorns responded in the bottom of the frame when Moldenhauer launched his second solo homer of the game off Coleman, putting Texas back on top 4-3.
Texas made the score 5-3 when Keyes crossed the plate on a wild pitch by Coleman. The senior right-hander ended the sixth by striking out leftfielder Preston Clark with a runner on third.

The Tigers pulled the score within one in the seventh when second baseman [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1152511&Q_SEASON=2008"]DJ LeMahieu[/URL] pounded a solo homer over the wall in center to make the score 5-4.
In the bottom of the frame, Texas blasted their fifth solo homer off the game, this time off the bat of centerfielder Connor Rowe, to put the Longhorns ahead 6-4.

Jones entered the game for Coleman after Rowe’s homer and retired the Longhorns in order, striking out first baseman Brandon Belt to end the inning.

The Tigers erased a 6-4 deficit with two outs in the ninth when LeMahieu laced a double down the left field line scoring [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1152510&Q_SEASON=2008"]Leon Landry[/URL] and [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1152488&Q_SEASON=2008"]Derek Helenihi[/URL], tying the score at 6-6 heading to the bottom of the ninth.

After Ott got out of the ninth unscathed, the Tigers loaded the bases in the tenth, but Texas right-hander Brandon Workman entered the game with one out and struck out Helenihi and [URL="http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27865&SPID=2173&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1524995&Q_SEASON=2008"]Tyler Hanover[/URL] to end the LSU threat.

In the 11th, Ott struck out shortstop Brandon Loy and Maitland before forcing Rowe to ground out to Hanover at second base to end the game.

Boudreaux

Texas dominated last night. Sets up game 3 for all the marbles tonight. I hope the Horns used it all up last night, but it should be a good game.

LSU bats need to come to life!

Boudreaux

NATIONAL CHAMPS!

Congrats also to the Texas Longhorns. A fine program and a fine ball team this year as well.

Love adding another NC to that trophy case though!