Conned Again

snooker1

We have had chickens for years now, I think we currently have 21 egg layers. The end of last year my wife says she would like to get a couple more to add to our flock. I said no because our coop and nesting boxes were about maxed out with what we currently have. She gave me the please look, next thing I know I am standing out in the chicken yard coming up with dimensions for a new coop. She had a couple of requests;
1. A walk in house
2. Large enough to double what we currently have
3. Windows for ventilation
4, Running water and electricity

One week later and I was placing an order for 85 (80 pound) bags of concrete, and it started from there. Well, it is done now. 24 feet long 12 feet wide. It currently has 12 nesting boxes in it and I have 8 more that can go in it. We have 25 new chicks arriving this week.

Attachments

• Form.jpg
    Form.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Slab.jpg
    Slab.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Framing .jpg
    Framing .jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Hardie Board Siding .jpg
    Hardie Board Siding .jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Coop.jpg
    Coop.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Front .jpg
    Front .jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Nesting Boxes .jpg
    Nesting Boxes .jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Epoxy Floor .jpg
    Epoxy Floor .jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Backside .jpg
    Backside .jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 91

Tight Lines

We have had chickens for years now, I think we currently have 21 egg layers. The end of last year my wife says she would like to get a couple more to add to our flock. I said no because our coop and nesting boxes were about maxed out with what we currently have. She gave me the please look, next thing I know I am standing out in the chicken yard coming up with dimensions for a new coop. She had a couple of requests;
1. A walk in house
2. Large enough to double what we currently have
3. Windows for ventilation
4, Running water and electricity

One week later and I was placing an order for 85 (80 pound) bags of concrete, and it started from there. Well, it is done now. 24 feet long 12 feet wide. It currently has 12 nesting boxes in it and I have 8 more that can go in it. We have 25 new chicks arriving this week.
Awesome!

snooker1

At one time we had 41 active laying hens. Through attrition, foxes (both colors), hawks, great horned owls, and old age, we`re down to 12. We also got 10 new biddies the other day to add to our flock.
We started with 8 I think, not sure how I ended up with what I got.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
My oldest son has built three, each one gets bigger and more elaborate. They probably have about 50 hens now. I'm not sure what kind any of them are, but there's a lot of different and weird look'n chickens.

Toliver

I would like to request, no DEMAND, the mods delete this thread. As soon as I opened it my wife sensed a disturbance in the force and asked what I was looking at....she was in another room. I can't afford for this person to be giving my wife expensive ideas since I, too, haven't the will power to tell her or my daughter no when they really want something. Or mildly want something. If she actually sees this, she will really really want it and I'll be forced into a second mortgage.

K thanks.

snooker1

I would like to request, no DEMAND, the mods delete this thread. As soon as I opened it my sensed a disturbance in the force and asked what I was looking at....she was in another room. I can't afford for this person to be giving my wife expensive ideas since I, too, haven't the will power to tell her or my daughter no whe they really want something. Or mildly want something. If she actually sees this, she will really really want it and I'll be forced into a second mortgage.

K thanks.
I am pretty sure my granddaughters are going to ask me for a new coop, and there is no way I could tell them no.

Toliver

Well they'll be lucky to have you as grandpa and get a nice place like that for their chickens. I might be able to build one if it comes in a box from Ikea and the instructions are in English.