Cooking older squirrels

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Here's how I learned do the older squirrels. It's a little time consuming but you can't tell the difference in old ones and young ones. Flour em real good and fry til about half done. About when they start to get crispy. Then put em in something you can cover up with the oven set to 325. cover em about half way with water and bake for 1.5 hours. Best squirrel and gravy you'll ever eat.20240106_112224.jpg20240106_112613.jpg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Dang, it looks good JB.

wm742

Here's how I learned do the older squirrels. It's a little time consuming but you can't tell the difference in old ones and young ones. Flour em real good and fry til about half done. About when they start to get crispy. Then put em in something you can cover up with the oven set to 325. cover em about half way with water and bake for 1.5 hours. Best squirrel and gravy you'll ever eat.View attachment 1281247View attachment 1281248
Do you egg dredge before you flower?
Do you do anything to the water after cooking to finish the gravy?

We are headed out tomorrow for squirrels. This looks like something I want to try.

Arrow3

Looks dang good. I can't remember when I've had fried squirrel.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Do you egg dredge before you flower?
Do you do anything to the water after cooking to finish the gravy?

We are headed out tomorrow for squirrels. This looks like something I want to try.
No no egg, and it makes the gravy while cooking in the oven. Just don't put too much. About halfway cover the pieces.