Cousin finds pottery shards but no points?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
They dropped a pot. It broke so they didn't pick it up.
They dropped point. It didn't break so they picked it up.

Look for the spot where they lost an unbroken point and show us pics.

Artfuldodger

They dropped a pot. It broke so they didn't pick it up.
They dropped point. It didn't break so they picked it up.

Look for the spot where they lost an unbroken point and show us pics.
Wouldn't the presence of various pottery found at this spot indicate a hunting camp? This is on the Seventeen Mile River near Douglas, Ga. There have been points found in other areas on the same river.

It's quite near Indian Ford and Gaskin Springs.
"One trail used by the Indians during travel was located about five miles east of Douglas on the Seventeen Mile Creek. The area of the crossing is known as Indian Ford or Indian Springs. A regular camping site was located about fifteen miles northeast of Douglas on Mr. J.M. Lott's old home place. At one time during the history of Coffee County Indian mounds could be seen near Gaskin Springs and Indian Ford."

Artfuldodger

Seems like in parts of Georgia, points are easier to find that sherds and in other parts sherds are easier to find than points.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
My response was completely tongue in cheek. If shards are present then it is highly likely that points are there as well and will eventually be found.

If it is a known active site, it could be that it has been searched for artifacts extensively in the past. IMO, searchers are more likely to overlook pottery shards or not collect them as opposed to points. This could help to explain the disparity.

Sixes

I've found areas with pottery and no points nor flaking. I assume they broke the pot carrying it or set it down and just left it.

No different than carrying a water bottle for us and dropping it or forgetting it

Hillbilly stalker

2 places I find a lot of broken pottery. One high spot over looking a shallow rapid spot in our main river. I figure it was a village over looking a crossing. The second is when I’m in the part of our county that is real sandy soil. Looking at inclines or small hills, you can see a difference in the color of the sand, some is much darker with a black looking hue to it. I figure it’s where they fired their pottery, wrong moisture content and it blows. I’ve never found a point around the pottery. But I’m sure I’ve missed alot. We have a
Catawba's here, known for pottery and weaving.