Covid: How long to get taste back?

Shadow11

This is my 1st time that I know of having this crud. I'm on day 6, and my taste today is completely gone.

I thought the worst was over. Last Sat and Sun i didn't even get out of bed. Freezing, shivering, body aches. Then, for 2-3 days I was just tired/dizzy. Taste was still halfway there. I ate normally and it was good.

Yesterday and today was like having a cold. A lot of drainage, sneezing, and a little bit of coughing. Today, day 6, my taste has completely left the building. Nothing, notta! It sucks. Worst part yet!

How long does this typically last?

buckpasser

I never lost taste but completely lost smell for the better part of a year.

Shotgun1

I have had Covid twice. Both times it affected my taste and smell. Last time was Sept 2022. My taste for coffee is just now returning and I have been a big coffee drinker for 80+ years. Eggs have been a regular part of my diet all my life ,my eggs scrambled with cheddar are a real treat. Now I don't even want to look at an egg. Life takes some strange turns.

twtabb

I have had COVID three times. Smell is very limited. Can’t hear very well and I need to get vision checked. I will be 60 soon that may have something to do with some things.

Core Lokt

Lost smell for 5 days first time I got it never felt bad. Second time I felt terrible for about 5 hours. Got smell back but don’t get hungry hardly. Eat when I get hunger pains. Dr said people have all kinds of side effects.

B. White

I think it is different for everybody. We never lost taste and I remember I was starving all the time and grilled something good every night. Hope you have the short lasting version.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Here's a weird one for y'all...

My Covid was up and down fevers for nine days, probably 50 cycles at least. I never had any respiratory distress, but it was a month before I felt "right" again.

During those nine days, I didn't eat, and lived off of Gatorades. Taste and smell were GON, except I could tell the Gatorades were sweet.

To this day, all Gatorades taste the same, sweet. That's it, no matter the color/flavor.

Everything else was back to normal in about a month.

Also strange, was that my wintergreen snuff had zero flavor, just texture and nicotine.

The taste/smell loss was interesting to say the least...

Whitefeather

Management Material
I have had it twice for sure. Last time was in January. I never lost taste or smell but up until 2-3 months ago I couldn’t stand ketchup. It used to burn my tongue like hot sauce. It’s gone away from being unbearably hot to mildly hot but definitely different than normal.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
it's different for everybody I never lost taste or smell but long term COVID set in -fatigue,short of breath with exertion , new onset kidney disease, joint pain,dizzy spells ,anemia,and more . all my specialty doctors have found nothing in their workups and basically said no idea just live with it!!

hopper

Lost taste and smell for months but only felt like I had a bad cold for about 2wks. Frustrating not being able to taste food or smell food. I was getting pretty worried it would never come back. That was all in the beginning of Covid. Pretty sure I've had a time or two but have not lost smell or taste. Have had some wierd phantom smells here and there. Good Luck.

Buck70

Had it in October and lost my taste for bbq. Used to love to cook on my smoker and grill but now it doesn't taste right.

cowhornedspike

I still smell something burning almost all the time.
This. Smells like I have an exhaust leak sometimes when I am driving but I smell it pretty much randomly any time. I'm learning to ignore it.

HermanMerman

I’d say it took a good month for me. My wife was making all sorts of good stuff to eat while I had it and I told her to stop…I could’ve been eating a bowl of plain oatmeal the entire time and not been able to tell the difference.

Havana Dude

Had fever for about 18 hours. I sweat the fever away, never took any meds. Then felt like crud for about a week. Taste and smell, literally gone for 6 months.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
It was basically a cold when I had it. Lucky for these folks that have the flu, two years ago it would have been Covid.

Lilly001

I had it about a year ago. Pretty bad for a week.
Taste and smell are still not totally back.
My worst symptom was fatigue.
I could argue that I’m still not totally recovered.
But how much of that is due to natural aging? I’m 66 and obese.
So I’ll sit back and drink my coffee while I ponder that.