cows and deer

jeffw

For those of you that hunt fields with cows, how do you think the deer react to them? It is my experience they will come in the field but never get closer than 100 yards or so.

Anyone have any experiences to share?

Slasher

funn you should ask...

I thought that too... but last week sat in a field on an oak looking down into a wooded bottom with a creek running through... at sunset the cows went down by me and headed towards the bottom... 2 cows with calves were 75 yds away.... the calves were playing rubbing heads to gether and all of a sudden momma cow no 1 who was eating away stops and stares down into the bottom... I look through the binos and see the to of the head of a doe turn and walk down the bottom... I pull up the rifle expecting her to pop out... and no deer.... she pops up another 65 ds by the property line in launch mode by the time I spot her....

I think she avoided those cows and passed up the white oak acorns i think she was headed to in the field... however, yesterday, I saw a doe in amongst those cows in the field, but with the gusting winds, I dare not take a shot I guestimate about 265 yds... but it was windy.... I don't know the answer... except they are where you find em and they have there personalities... I don't mind heights, others get dizzy at 20 ft.... were different.... :flag:

GA DAWG

I have hunted around cows my whole life.Deer are not bothered by them.I was killed a 10pt I had to wait on him to walk through about 25 head before I could shoot him.Now food plots thats a different story.

SADDADDY

I have seen them bedded up next to calfs, standing 20' from other cows eating, I don't think they pay no mind to the cows, they know they are harmless. I guess that is why some people have alot of luck killing deer off of horse back, deer have no fear of livestock,

My daddy use to hunt with a fellar that hunted off the back of a mule, he would get close as 20yrds before the deer would realize there was something on that donkey's back.

I need to run out and buy me a Mule, I could use all the luck I could get :bounce:

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I've never hunted over a cow pasture, but driving past cow pastures, I've seen deer right in the mix of cow's grazing away.

Tommy

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Our deer do not have as much of a problem with the cows as the other way around. The cows dont seem to like the deer taking up their space. All feed and walk in the same field though.

Jim

willhunt

I regularly hunt a neighbor's farm with about 70 head on it. I have seen deer in the same field but never real close to them.

One field in particular is about 125 yds. across and probably 800 yds. long. There is a stand of small pines in the middle, a perfect place for a ground blind.

My problem is that if the dang cows see me slipping in, they all follow me to the blind and I end up surrounded!!! They literally come into the trees and just stand there, slobbering and staring like they're trying to figure out what I'm doing there.

Needless to say, I've never taken a deer when they've been there. I'd probably cause a stampede if I shot...

wh

jeffw

same problem

Everyone says there no problem but I have 50 acres with about 25 cows. They follow you everywhere you go like dogs. I think it defintely messes you up because I have yet to see deer close to them. When they are in the bottom field I see deer but never when there close.

jrgriggs

Hey last year i was hunting with my dad in a field and about an hour before the sun went down out came the cows and we knew deer had to be close behind but we thought they wouldnt come out with the cows in the field so my dad and i took the batteries out of our flashlights with a total of 6 batteries thrown they finally started moving not 5 minutes after they got out of sight out came a doe i was able to harvest so with me i havent seen deer with cows but have come close

Timbo

To see a deer within 30 yards of a cow is rare.I know this from hunting pastures.

The cows heard up and graze as do the deer.They respect one another but never try to mingle.because at any moment the aw-so cautious deer will bolt.as the cows will stand his ground.If there is a deer close in it is because the herd excepted it,and only because this deer chose to hang out.

I'm no expert on this matter.Only from my observation.