Coyote pulled stake out of ground

Josh1997

Pulled up this morning had a big yote on one set and as I pulled up he pulled the trap out of the ground and ran off. I’ve caught a couple before him but I’m still new to this, I have the stakes in the picture attached from Minnesota trap line. I bury the whole wire and even some of the chain and then pull up to set it. Is there anything I could do better to keep them from doing this? Thanks

Attachments

• 6BFA016A-175E-4312-B2A6-CF4A196E84E6.jpeg
    6BFA016A-175E-4312-B2A6-CF4A196E84E6.jpeg
    6.3 KB · Views: 14

CritterCatcher

How old is the super stake? I lost a trap this year and couldn't figure out how until I went to set another and it just pulled right out when I went to set it... minus the part that holds. I looked at where the cable attaches to that, and saw that it was completely frayed through.

Perhaps yours held until you set it, but gave way when the yote was caught. I have checked all of mine now and replaced those that look suspicious.

And as Doug says, welcome aboard.

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I'm pretty new too, and one thing I have learned for sure is that anything can happen.

In this case something had to have given way.

As hard as the earth anchors are to pull out, I can't imagine a critter being able to generate enough power to just yank it out.

I'm glad this didn't happen to me, I'd be out there going crazy trying to find him and figger out what happened... ?

Welcome to the forum, hang around a while!

Josh1997

Most of the property is sandy but the two I caught early in the week held fine. This ones dirt ring around where I had set the trap was an orange color so I would guess there should have been some clay in there. But as far as how old my super stake was I just bought them a couple weeks ago. And man it was crazy, it shocked me at first so I didn’t know what to do. I jumped out my truck with my gun ran after him and could barely keep up with him, finally we got to a bamboo branch with briars as tall as my head and I lost him

canine933

I use super stakes with chain. I also use pogos with cable. I have had the cable break, but never a super stake with chain. If you are in super sandy soil I would go with the finned super stakes with the chain….always the chain! The finned stakes are out of stock everywhere right now. I just ordered 15 dozen more regular super stakes with the chain because they are very good.

I've never had a super stake pulled but mine were chained and welded. Something would have to break and that's my guess what happened if your's were cabled.
The crimp on the ferrules is all that holds and bad crimps can happen. Matter of fact I've had it happen on bought and crimped myself. I now study every crimp before using.
I seriously doubt the stake end came up unless it was in pure dry sugar sand or silty muck as I no longer use them as they hold to well and I had to dig to get them back.
I now use cabled wolf fangs and rebar depending on ground conditions. Another thing with cable is that it will rust out with time in our acid soils.
I would dig that set to satisfy my curiosity as to what broke.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Most of the property is sandy but the two I caught early in the week held fine. This ones dirt ring around where I had set the trap was an orange color so I would guess there should have been some clay in there. But as far as how old my super stake was I just bought them a couple weeks ago. And man it was crazy, it shocked me at first so I didn’t know what to do. I jumped out my truck with my gun ran after him and could barely keep up with him, finally we got to a bamboo branch with briars as tall as my head and I lost him

Thanks for an entertaining mental picture...:LOL::rofl:

Maybe we need a Strange Trappin' Tales thread...This would be a good starter!!!

Maybe you'll get even with him.

Josh1997

I use super stakes with chain. I also use pogos with cable. I have had the cable break, but never a super stake with chain. If you are in super sandy soil I would go with the finned super stakes with the chain….always the chain! The finned stakes are out of stock everywhere right now. I just ordered 15 dozen more regular super stakes with the chain because they are very good.
It’s very possible that the super stake cable may have got freyed, this trap was a reset that I had dug up with a square ended shovel maybe I hit the cable and freyed it or somethin I’m not sure. I just assumed that he pulled the whole thing out of the ground, I will have to dig tomorrow and see if the earth anchor is still down there maybe

Doug B.

It’s very possible that the super stake cable may have got freyed, this trap was a reset that I had dug up with a square ended shovel maybe I hit the cable and freyed it or somethin I’m not sure. I just assumed that he pulled the whole thing out of the ground, I will have to dig tomorrow and see if the earth anchor is still down there maybe
Let us know what you find.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.

Well, report back because now I wanna know what you find!!!

canine933

Pulled up this morning had a big yote on one set and as I pulled up he pulled the trap out of the ground and ran off. I’ve caught a couple before him but I’m still new to this, I have the stakes in the picture attached from Minnesota trap line. I bury the whole wire and even some of the chain and then pull up to set it. Is there anything I could do better to keep them from doing this? Thanks
When the finned ones get back in stock use those in sand with chain and you will not be disappointed! Also buy a puller. The no-** puller is great it has a end for chain stakes. If not insert a small grade 8 bolt through the chain to pull on because you will destroy a swivel or J-hook.

Last edited:

Josh1997

Man it was crazy I don’t know much about trapping other than just starting so I didn’t know what to do then I got down in there and could hear him and was hoping he didn’t turn and come at me lol dang goat roping :LOL:

canine933

I have pulled a few pogos with cable and man I was glad a coyote did not get in my set cause they would have taken off with my trap as well.

buckpasser

You might already be doing this, but always set the anchor after driving it. Give it a good yank and make sure nothing gives up. Don’t hold the trap by the jaws when doing this to prevent snatching the ends out of the frame (if an end swiveled trap). Inspect the loops of the cable periodically as I’ve had several that prematurely developed rust and would have certainly let me down. The testing at each set should settle it either way though. I learned that after my trapping supply guy failed to crimp one good, costing me a brand new MB 550! Still makes me sick.

I once dealt with a three legged coyote that I created when it made off with a crossed staked trap. It was continually seen in the area. It took two years but I eventually caught it on a set back set. Standard dirt hole that it would tip toe around but not commit so it got a second trap a foot back from the first one.

When the finned ones get back in stock use those in sand with chain and you will not be disappointed! Also buy a puller. The no-** puller is great it has a end for chain stakes. If not insert a small grade 8 bolt through the chain to pull on because you will destroy a swivel.

Consider welding all swivels as a puller will straighten a j hook.

canine933

Consider welding all swivels as a puller will straighten a j hook.
All my j-hooks and S hooks are welded. I have destroyed crunch proof swivels in the past when a super stake is in solid red clay. Unless I pulled against a grade 8 bolt.Thanks for the unsolicited advise!!!

Last edited:
Wasn't intended for you as I'm sure the first pull showed you that if you hadn't already.
It was intended for the new guys that started the thread.
Sorry if I offended.