Coyote Size in Georgia

Resica

What weight do coyotes run in Georgia? I read something last night about the Mosquito Creek coyote hunt up here. They said their top 3 yotes were all over 50lbs and they'd only had 3 over 50 in the last 10 years I believe.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
They run about the size and weight of a red wolf. Considerably bigger than western coyotes.

sportsman94

I can tell you, unless my scales are wrong, a grown male coyote in my area is 35 pounds with 40-45 being a giant. I don’t weigh many, but I remember weighing a big male a few years back and thinking that there was no way he was only 35. For comparison, a noticeably large bobcat here is 30 pounds. I’ve had a lot of people tell me about 50 pound coyotes and bobcats and I just smile and nod. There are no doubt 50 pound coyotes running around Georgia, but they are not the norm.

furtaker

I can tell you, unless my scales are wrong, a grown male coyote in my area is 35 pounds with 40-45 being a giant. I don’t weigh many, but I remember weighing a big male a few years back and thinking that there was no way he was only 35. For comparison, a noticeably large bobcat here is 30 pounds. I’ve had a lot of people tell me about 50 pound coyotes and bobcats and I just smile and nod. There are no doubt 50 pound coyotes running around Georgia, but they are not the norm.
I think red wolf genes are more prevalent in different areas of the state.

I don't have a scale but I'd guess the vast majority of the ones I catch or shoot are under forty pounds. I'll catch a black one on rare occasions but other than that I never catch one that has a pronounced "wolfy" look to it. The ones I catch don't look all that much different than western coyotes.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I agree with this . I’ve caught or killed quite a few and never weighed one . I wish I would have put this one on some scales .IMG_5090.jpeg

Doug B.

Our coyotes definitely look different than western coyotes. And while they may be bigger I don't think I've ever seen a 50 pound coyote. I have caught a good many coyotes and I never weigh any of them but some of the biggest ones I have caught I would guess to be around 40 ish pounds.

Keith Karr

Here’s one l shot Tuesday night in Douglas county. I don’t weigh them very often but we were close to the truck so I grabbed my scales. He was 37.4 lb.
IMG_0693.jpeg
Here’s a black one l shot last year that weighed 38lb. He wasn’t fat either….just long and big.
IMG_3745.jpeg
Here’s a couple more that were noticeably bigger but I didn’t weigh them. I would guess them to be in the low 40’s……there may be some 50 pounder’s but they would be very rare.
IMG_0404.jpeg
IMG_3366.jpeg

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I've never seen a skinny coyote and all the ones I've seen either in the woods or dead alongside the road have been the size of the ones in the pics everyone is posting.

sleepr71

Based on the ones I’ve called in,or trapped..I’d say that Females tend to run around 25-30lbs & males 30-40. The oddest “big” Coyote that I’ve called in and killed turned out to be a Female. I called in a pair one April afternoon & managed to kill both. After I loaded both of them up..I checked their sex figuring the bigger one was a Male..but Nope..both Female. She was Tall & HAD to weigh 40 lbs & had a head as big as a honeydew melon! Big,wide,head..as wide as both of my hands along side each other. I should have kept the skull,because I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bigger one . They came in(very aggressively) running to me Howling & the bigger one was all bristled up! I figured they had a den nearby,as I’d heard them howling nearby for several nights in a row. All that said..over 40 lbs is a very well fed Southern Coyote ;)

Resica

Thank you! Was just curious. Had no idea of their weight up here either.

HermanMerman

I saw one in Telfair County 10-12 years ago that had to have been pushing 50 lbs….one of the prettiest animals I’ve ever seen. Personally, I love seeing them in the woods.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I weighed a really big female I shot here a few years ago. 43#. The one she was running with was much bigger. Much. They released red wolves into the Smokies for about ten-twelve years. We have big yotes.

Resica

I weighed a really big female I shot here a few years ago. 43#. The one she was running with was much bigger. Much. They released red wolves into the Smokies for about ten years.
If it were this year in the Mosquito Creek hunt you would have earned over 8 grand.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member