Coyotes in North GA?

DasHaas

I've owned this property for about 4 years and have never seen a coyote there before. Have seen tons of deer almost every night but never a coyote until now. Is this common in North Georgia (Fannin County)? I'd imagine so, but I'm curious as to why I've only seen one in 4 years. I'll have to read up on the regs for shooting them on your property...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They're there, they just don't usually parade around in the open.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I am curious if this is in the area North of Hwy 76 up Sparks Mountain Road and then onto Squirrel Hunting Road near the EagleTop Drive area? I know someone that lives in that area and they have seen yotes in their neighborhood. I know that it was definitely loaded with deer and turkeys back a few years ago as I saw quite a bunch of them during my visit.

specialk

bobcats and fox too.....

DasHaas

I am curious if this is in the area North of Hwy 76 up Sparks Mountain Road and then onto Squirrel Hunting Road near the EagleTop Drive area? I know someone that lives in that area and they have seen yotes in their neighborhood. I know that it was definitely loaded with deer and turkeys back a few years ago as I saw quite a bunch of them during my visit.
Very close to Squirrel Hunting Road... I see deer every day, no gobblers yet

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

Coyotes are everywhere. They were found and pictures taken in Central Park in New York City over 20 years ago. They are survivors. I work in town at night and see them ever now and again. They are fairly elusive but a emergency siren will make them howl every time.

chase870

Possum Sox
I kill them in places that most people don't believe. Just about caused the Jackson EMC line men to jump out of the bucket when they were hanging transformers at the new traffic circle here in Barrow the other night about 1:00 A.M. I was about 200 yards from them as the crow fly's. That 220 Swift has a bark without a suppressor

pjciii

I don't understand why NC has a season on them and they aren't considered varmints. Last 2 winters I have heard the at night. Cold crisp night singing away.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand why NC has a season on them and they aren't considered varmints. Last 2 winters I have heard the at night. Cold crisp night singing away.
NC doesn't have a season on them. You can kill coyotes 24/7/365.

pjciii

NC doesn't have a season on them. You can kill coyotes 24/7/365.
I was looking at the dove season email and the went to others and I thought I read that there is no restriction hunting them on private but you needed a permit on state and federal land. I assumed if you need a permit there was a season. I apologize for misinformation.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at the dove season email and the went to others and I thought I read that there is no restriction hunting them on private but you needed a permit on state and federal land. I assumed if you need a permit there was a season. I apologize for misinformation.
Nope. No permit needed on public land. The only weird coyote regulations in NC are in the county where they re-introduced the red wolves down on the coast at the Alligator River Wildlife Refuge. I guess because people were shooting red wolves while coyote hunting, even if they are basically the same critter.

pjciii

Nope. No permit needed on public land. The only weird coyote regulations in NC are in the county where they re-introduced the red wolves down on the coast at the Alligator River Wildlife Refuge. I guess because people were shooting red wolves while coyote hunting, even if they are basically the same critter.

I stand corrected. I finally have my hunter safety course Tuesday the 8th so I can ask all my stupid questions. I have not seen any just heard them. I am sure from a distance away they have scoped out that big white do on the porch. Had a sow and 3 cubs a little over a week ago. About 20 yards. I got tons of wild blackberry.

HardlyHangin

how do you get off the couch and practice without educating them? Is there a "safe" way to climb the learning curve without frustratingly educating every dog on the parcels you can hunt?

How far away are you guys setting up from your call?

How far do down wind do you think they will circle? 50yds? 100+ yards?

Are you upwind or down wind of your call?

How are you using terrain to your advantage?