Coyotes in North GA?

furtaker

how do you get off the couch and practice without educating them? Is there a "safe" way to climb the learning curve without frustratingly educating every dog on the parcels you can hunt?

How far away are you guys setting up from your call?

How far do down wind do you think they will circle? 50yds? 100+ yards?

Are you upwind or down wind of your call?

How are you using terrain to your advantage?
I like to get in the thick stuff and use mouth calls. Scout and learn the property so you can get an idea of where the coyotes will come from and set up with the wind in your face or a crosswind. Their nose is your worst enemy. I find this more fun and effective than trying to call them into a wide open cow pasture during daylight hours.

And leave the rifle at home. Bring a shotgun with some tight patterning buckshot.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like to get in the thick stuff and use mouth calls. Scout and learn the property so you can get an idea of where the coyotes will come from and set up with the wind in your face or a crosswind. Their nose is your worst enemy. I find this more fun and effective than trying to call them into a wide open cow pasture during daylight hours.

And leave the rifle at home. Bring a shotgun with some tight patterning buckshot.
And it helps to try to set up where they can't circle downwind of you, they usually like to do that before committing to coming to the call.

westcobbdog

I've owned this property for about 4 years and have never seen a coyote there before. Have seen tons of deer almost every night but never a coyote until now. Is this common in North Georgia (Fannin County)? I'd imagine so, but I'm curious as to why I've only seen one in 4 years. I'll have to read up on the regs for shooting them on your property...

Non game species you can take them any way any time