Coyotes

Doug B.

New at trapping, have caught 6 in the last three weeks. What can a fellow expect to see on fawn survival with the removal of 10 coyotes in a 1.5 square mile area. the six have been 4 females and 2 males.
First of all, welcome to the obsession! It sounds like you have caught on to catching them fairly quickly!!

The answer to your question would be hard to guess. I don't think that there is any specific percentage that would cover every piece of ground. It would have too many variables from one place to another. Like how many coyote were there, how many deer were there, etc. All I can say is the more I catch, the better I feel about it!!!

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Wear them out.

Thinking the same about catching raccoons and how many turkey, duck, goose and grouse eggs are saved.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Last year I took five out of the equation, including a nursing female, within 500 yards of my house.

All spring and summer, I had more of EVERYTHING in the yard. Rabbits, quail, deer, heck I even had some turkeys for the first time in a dozen years of living here.

The only thing that changed, was five less coyotes, and a litter of pups that didn't make it...

Proof enough for me that catching coyotes helps a lot.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
New at trapping, have caught 6 in the last three weeks. What can a fellow expect to see on fawn survival with the removal of 10 coyotes in a 1.5 square mile area. the six have been 4 females and 2 males.

Honestly probably no change. Trapping to improve fawn recruitment has to be done just prior to and during fawning, so late April through June for most areas. Even then it only works part of the time. You would also need to affect at least a couple of thousand acres for it to make any real difference.

sleepr71

Charlie,is that because new Coyotes will quickly move into the void created by us removing them Dec-March? I figured it would take a while for new players to move in..

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
We have a couple different packs here, sign will be all over the place with howling, then nothing for a couple weeks or two.

Talked to a biologist friend and he said they will roam hunting for food, but you do have individual transients that are looking for their own territory.

dfurdennis

Agreed...we have taken around 18 off our thousand acres in Lamar county and I have seen a huge difference in the fawn sightings last spring especially...this is our third year trapping this property...we have also taken over half a dozen bobcats.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Charlie,is that because new Coyotes will quickly move into the void created by us removing them Dec-March? I figured it would take a while for new players to move in..

Yes, it fills right back in and it doesn't take long. Most folks don't ever monitor fawn recruitment though, so there's no way to know if the trapping actually had an effect.

Dean

Yep, agreed. Generally, no wildlife lives in a vacuum, in other words when the void is created another of same species typically moves right in. And for what it is worth, coyotes are killing "non-fawn" aged deer too

buckpasser

@deathwish if you’re brand new and have caught 6, I’m taking that as an indication that you are in a highly populated area. I’d stay after them through spring time just as hard as you can stand it. It’ll possibly save some nesting hen turkeys (if you have them), and then try to keep them subdued for the fawns. You are doing some good, no matter what anyone says. Common sense tells us that much. Keep it up!

deathwish

@deathwish if you’re brand new and have caught 6, I’m taking that as an indication that you are in a highly populated area. I’d stay after them through spring time just as hard as you can stand it. It’ll possibly save some nesting hen turkeys (if you have them), and then try to keep them subdued for the fawns. You are doing some good, no matter what anyone says. Common sense tells us that much. Keep it up!

7 now caught one yesterday

buckpasser

7 now caught one yesterday

So, tell us more about your path into trapping. Are you in it for wildlife management exclusively? What part of the world are you tearing them up in? Who/What resources have you used to be so effective as a new trapper? Thanks!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Yep, agreed. Generally, no wildlife lives in a vacuum, in other words when the void is created another of same species typically moves right in. And for what it is worth, coyotes are killing "non-fawn" aged deer too
Na , they just exercising , kinda like when they come sneaking into my turkey calling