Crossbow help?

woodyjim

Haven't been on in awhile, but I was wondering what y'all think the min. Fps on a crossbow should be? And can I use normal broad heads? All this is assuming that I'm hunting deer. Thanks.

diamondback

I think the minimum draw poundage should be 175. I don't put a lot of thought into fps. The reason I don't is because some manufacturers will claim high fps but they don't tell you that they used a shorter lighter bolt to get that fps. I would rather have a slower ,heavier bolt to get better penetration and a by product is a quieter more accurate shot as well. Most of the newer x bows now will get around 300 fps with 20 inch bolts and 100 grain heads.

You can use any broad head. Some say to use 2 bands on the expandables to keep from opening at the shot. I have used rage heads with one band and had no problems.currently I'm using 2 blade Magnus stinger fixed blades because they seem to shoot the best and I wanted a cut on contact head. I have killed deer with rage,muzzy, and the stingers and all will do the job if you do yours.

Gerrik

I shoot a 150lb Xbow, with normal 100gr heads. It shoots around 305fps, and has killed several deer.

Joe EC

I shoot a 150 lb Barnett Raptor with 20" arrows. 100 or 125 grain broadheads. I like 480-500 grain total weight. It shoots 330 FPS with a 400 grain arrow. Dropped 2 bucks and 4 doe this year.