Crow Questions

Smallgame

Wanting to go shoot some tomorrow but need a little advice. Never hunted crows so I have a few questions.

1. Is any time of day better than another?

2. What is the best loacation? (fields, woods, ...)

3. What shot size and choke is best?

4. What about decoys? I read people talking about making their own.

5. Do you know of any WMA's around Woodstock that might be good.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

wingding

1. first flight is best or any time
2. pecan orchards, corn or soybean fields, pine thickets
3. #6 mod to full
4. yes
5. :huh:

Gofish206

crowbusters.com has all the info you need. Good luck. Im thinking about going this weekend also.

cpowel10

A dead crow makes a great decoy. Just lay him out after you kill the first one.

I've used black oil cans as decoys before I killed one too

bnew17

Wanting to go shoot some tomorrow but need a little advice. Never hunted crows so I have a few questions.

1. Is any time of day better than another?

2. What is the best loacation? (fields, woods, ...)

3. What shot size and choke is best?

4. What about decoys? I read people talking about making their own.

5. Do you know of any WMA's around Woodstock that might be good.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1. Ive had the most luck during the middle of the day? :huh: Ive tried later in the afternoon with not as much luck, who knows.

2. The best location IMO is on the edge of fields. I primarily hunt crows on the edge of fields while standing in the treeline of some pines. I have also hunted them in pecan orchards and done well too. The most important thing is to be camo'd head to toe and in good cover. Also let the first crow come in and go w/o shooting at him.

3.I like modified with #6's.

4.Decoys are a must. I usually run about 1 1/2 dozen and I wish i had a few more. I also have a Owl decoy. I want to invest in maybe a mojo crow at some point in the future but i have not heard much about people using them. What i like to use as the best decoy to add to my spread is, the first couple birds that i shoot at i try and wing them so they'll drop in the middle of my dekes and flop around. This will bring those crows in that may other wise sit at the top of the pines across the field and laugh at you.

5. Dont hunt WMA's and hate atlanta. so cant help ya there.

ps. When the crows are coming in, and your with a buddy. Its about as much fun as you can have. enjoy! :banana:

JerkBait

Banned
on the contrary i have heard from a very reliable source to make sure at all costs you kill the first 1-2 birds that come in. they are scouts. scouts must die.

aint that right charlie?

earl

Banned
Allatoona has a few . Seems like the closer to the lake you get the more crows you see . Try the road out towards the cemetary.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
Any of you fellas ever hear of Jerry Tomlin? He's a crow guide out of Milledgeville.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
The guy is REALLY into crow hunting.Does trips from Oct-Feb in and around pecan orchards across the state.Guys book trips with him from all over the country.I took a couple of clients with him one day and it was pretty amazing.We killed 143 between the 4 of us.

meausoc

The guy is REALLY into crow hunting.Does trips from Oct-Feb in and around pecan orchards across the state.Guys book trips with him from all over the country.I took a couple of clients with him one day and it was pretty amazing.We killed 143 between the 4 of us.

For those of you who don't know, Jerry Tomlin passed away last monday 10/22/2018 doing what he liked, hunting crows. I'm glad that I got the chance to hunt with him a couple of times.

mlandrum

The best decoy is a cat in a wire cage— they will dive like jets to get him? PS Do not use your favorite cat only your neighbors cause the cat will definitely have hearing and psychological problems forever ???