Current prices on vehicles, new and used.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I doubt I'll ever buy another new vehicle, that market has gone nuts. Just had every worn part changed on the front of my 2011 Nissan 4x4 crew cab. Began shopping for another Nissan 4x4 crew cab and found they are out of sight too. 7-8K above what their prices should be. Here around lake Seminole, we're seeing more people using road equipped side by sides and golf carts for local shopping etc.

Attachments

• 7 years ago.jpg
    7 years ago.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 21

Lilly001

I’m with you.
I’ve been looking for a truck for at least a couple years.
I‘ve even gone to the dealer seriously intending to buy.
But I just can’t justify, in my mind, paying the price wanted for the seriously flawed products they are offering.
Instead I just keep my old trucks (‘01 Chevy and an ‘03 Cummins Ram) running.
Not having a truck payment and the lower insurance are a nice benefit, but I expect it’ll all catch up eventually.

specialk

You're lucky you found parts...my 2010 tahoe sat in the body shop for 3 months waiting on airbags of all things....

Robert28

I did something I thought I’d never do, I bought an extended warranty for my 2021 F150. I swore I’d never buy one and I never have, but with this market and how prices and shortages are I got to thinking I need to hang on to my 21 f150 as long as I could. Ford has manufacturer extended warranties you can buy online through a couple dealers at like $50-$100 over cost and if I’m gonna buy a warranty it’s going to be a factory one, not some third party junk they push at the dealership. 8/100,000 for $1700 didn’t seem like a bad deal to me and it’ll keep my truck going at least until we can get rid of Joe and hopefully get the economy straightened out.

Robert28

I was recently told by one of our suppliers that it is only going to get worse as far as replacement parts go, there isn't a week goes by that I find 3 or 4 parts that we use regularly are not currently available.
My friend hit a deer with his truck a couple weeks ago and the insurance company totaled his truck only because the cost for parts was astronomical and they said they didn’t know if they could even get all of them. From my understanding a lot of insurance companies are doing this right now.

dslc6487

biden economics sooks. Guess we will all have to go back to mules and wagons before long. I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma with 186,000 miles on it. runs like a top and never has given me any problems. Plan on driving that baby until she stops in the road with major mechanical problems. Ain't no way I am going to pay above MSRP for a vehicle. Some people out there have money to do that, but I ain't one of them.

benellisbe

I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L Manual with 230k miles and still going strong. Hard to beat the older trucks without all the electronic stuff. I replaced the Cylinder Head at roughly 200k. I decided to pull the motor and put it on the stand rather than replace the cylinder head while it was in the engine bay, but it could be done with a little extra time. I also did the timing chain, water pump and a few things while I had the motor pulled. Only real issue i've had is the cracked exhaust manifold (common on the 2.7). Like all older vehicles i've replaced a sensor here and there, but no major issues. I do prefer manual transmissions over autos.

I do have a 1 ton 6.7L Powerstroke that i've owned 7 years (I was offered cash price at the same dealership I bought it at for $2k less than I paid originally).

Back in 2020 (December) I traded in my wifes Wrangler JK for a 21 Ram 1500 and got a 7 year/1M mile warranty. Price was roughly 10k cheaper than a Ford/GM of the same size with similar options (at that time). I just hit 47k miles on the Ram and did have a problem with the fuel tank not venting to allow me to put gas in (warranty already paid for itself there). Nothing is made as reliable or to last 150k miles+ any longer. I am currently in the market to replace my wife's SUV and the prices are insane (if you can even find something).

IIICrkRepr

I did something I thought I’d never do, I bought an extended warranty for my 2021 F150. I swore I’d never buy one and I never have, but with this market and how prices and shortages are I got to thinking I need to hang on to my 21 f150 as long as I could. Ford has manufacturer extended warranties you can buy online through a couple dealers at like $50-$100 over cost and if I’m gonna buy a warranty it’s going to be a factory one, not some third party junk they push at the dealership. 8/100,000 for $1700 didn’t seem like a bad deal to me and it’ll keep my truck going at least until we can get rid of Joe and hopefully get the economy straightened out.

At this point I'm not sure a factory warranty is worth the paper its written on. Took my truck in for a recall, simple adjustment to the computer due to factory installed cold air intake they missed at the factory. While there, I asked them to check a code for evaporation canister and had a running lamp out. Truck sat there for a week and was never touched or even looked at. They are backed up 4 weeks I find out after the fact, they expect your truck to sit there the entire time. Complete nonsense, all GM dealers around me are booked solid.

transfixer

At this point I'm not sure a factory warranty is worth the paper its written on. Took my truck in for a recall, simple adjustment to the computer due to factory installed cold air intake they missed at the factory. While there, I asked them to check a code for evaporation canister and had a running lamp out. Truck sat there for a week and was never touched or even looked at. They are backed up 4 weeks I find out after the fact, they expect your truck to sit there the entire time. Complete nonsense, all GM dealers around me are booked solid.

Some of the parts we use are dealer item only ,, about half the time we call the dealer parts department we're told something is on " national backorder " , it might be a week, two weeks, or longer before we could see it. Some of the dealers are going to the aftermarket to get their parts, I know of one Ford dealer who is using my transmission parts supplier for torque converters,, as Ford parts can't get them torque converters fast enough for them to do warranty work.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
No matter the name used for extended warranty. Folks I know who works at a dealership said, those warranties doesn't cover as much as one would be told they do. Thats the word I got anyway. Used averages 7 to 8K above the prices three years ago on average and I'm not paying it.

transfixer

extended warranties are one of those things where you actually do need to read the fine print ,,, before you buy it,,, some have quite a few exclusions which will get them out of paying, such as some require proof of regular maintenance, fluid and oil changes and such, or they can deny covering the repair, many also have wording to exclude them from paying if there is a significant leak, as far as engine oil or transmission fluid, whether or not the customer realizes it, if they think or can prove it was driven low on oil, or low on fluid, most will deny the repair

Buford_Dawg

My MIL's Ford Escape just recently sat at the Ford delearship for 9 weeks waiting on a Brake part, unbelieveable.... The dealership told us this was very common now adays. It is absolutely crazy with supply chain issues right now.

35 Whelen

2001 Mazda B3000 (Ford Ranger) - 254,250 miles. Just had the front end rebuilt, new heater core installed, and new tires. Drive it till the wheels fall off, then put them back on!

Lilly001

extended warranties are one of those things where you actually do need to read the fine print ,,, before you buy it,,, some have quite a few exclusions which will get them out of paying, such as some require proof of regular maintenance, fluid and oil changes and such, or they can deny covering the repair, many also have wording to exclude them from paying if there is a significant leak, as far as engine oil or transmission fluid, whether or not the customer realizes it, if they think or can prove it was driven low on oil, or low on fluid, most will deny the repair
I asked my mechanic about extended warrantys and he said the same as you.
He said, and I confirmed by reading a couple on line, that most exclude electronics. This is bad because of all of the electronics controlling new vehicles.
Also seals are often excluded and few repairs don’t include a seal of some kind.

transfixer

I asked my mechanic about extended warrantys and he said the same as you.
He said, and I confirmed by reading a couple on line, that most exclude electronics. This is bad because of all of the electronics controlling new vehicles.
Also seals are often excluded and few repairs don’t include a seal of some kind.

Independent repair shops that accept jobs that involve extended warranties basically do it for the customer, either for previous customers , or they hope the customer that has the extended warranty on that vehicle will continue to be a customer in the future.

I say this because dealing with extended warranty companies is a major hassle for shops, sometimes we can't start on the vehicle without their approval, to do so ahead of time gives them a reason to deny repairs, once we start and determine what is necessary to fix the vehicle we have to call them again and tell them what we found, and what it will take to fix it. then sometimes they want to send an " inspector" out to verify,, which means we have to stop,,, and wait sometimes 2, 3, or more days for the inspector to show up,, look everything over,, and he'll inspect the vehicle looking for any reason to deny the repair,, then he isn't the one that approves the repair,, he has to go write up and report and turn it in to claims,, then the claims adjuster will decide whether to authorize the repair or not ..

I've seen instances of where it takes a week or two between when we start on the car,, till the repair is approved , so we can finish it,,, and even then they very seldom authorize the full cost of the repair,, they usually authorize a portion of it,, and the customer has to pay the difference.