Needed new truck tires – Suggestions?

Halfhitch

I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab, V6, 115K miles, in almost new condition, but for the past 6 years rarely driven (couple hundred miles a year). After almost 115K miles traveling in the truck, we quit driving it and bought a new more comfortable SUV due primarily to back problems (particularly my wife’s). The SUV is great for travel and daily use, but I’ve kept the truck maintained and want to start using it again, mostly for fishing, much of which will be in the North GA and NC mountains, normally alone. I know a lot of members have trucks and from past posts many seem to know a lot about tires. For the reasons below, I’m looking for new tires and I hope to get some of your experience based suggestions instead of starting at a dealer who may have an interest in promoting their favorite or highest profit brand of the month.

My current tires are General Grabber AWs, P255 65R16 (same as original equipment) with good tread (46,000 left on 70,000 mile tires), but are over 12 years old. I have read that, after 10 years or so, tire reliability becomes questionable regardless of tread wear due to potentially unseen deterioration in the materials and sidewalls. I’m very concerned about their reliability, particularly in some of the semi-remote places where I will likely be driving. I’m 70, and perhaps overly cautious, but changing a tire on a narrow road in the mountains (or anywhere else) alone is not something I want to be doing, so I plan to replace them.

Since I’m planning to buy new tires anyway, I would also like to improve the ride a little if possible. The truck weighs about 3,900 lbs. and never hauls or tows anything (we use the SUV), so additional weight compensation isn’t an issue, nor is sustained high-speed or off-road driving. With the SUV, the truck will likely never get used more than a couple thousand miles a year. My wife won’t normally be with me in the truck and since my back problems are not as bothersome as hers, the ride is less of an issue now than it once was, but a little improvement in ride would still be nice if I can get it.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted anyone reading it to know the way the truck is used which can affect the tires chosen. I haven’t bought tires in a long time (12 years) and there are brands now I’ve never heard of, so I think I need some trusted opinions, which is why I’m posting here. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance….

Last edited:

georgia_home

If they still make the same make & model you have, I'd stick with those. 12 years is pretty good. Why mess with success.

My toyota had 65k on some Dunlop tires, and I'm sticking with them for the same reason. They are getting worn down with the heat we have here. I'll be getting the same this time.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Frontier, (the latest of three Frontiers,) and I've tried several brands of tires over the years. I've usually went with Goodyear Wranglers, but I bought a set of Kelly Edge AT a couple years ago, and I really like them. I went and traded my truck for a brand new one a few months ago, and I made them transfer my Kelly tires over to the new one instead of the Generals that were on it, if that tells you anything. Long-wearing, smooth ride, go great in snow and decent in mud, all for a very good price.

bullgator

I just bought new tires two weeks ago. My 275/70 r18 Toyo’s had 67000 miles on them with a lot of tread depth....and I mean a lot! Problem was, they were getting dry rot cracks in the tread and I don’t want to be on the interstate when they give up the ghost. Anyway, I didn’t want to spend $270+ per tire for the same ones since I will probably only keep this truck another year or two. I ended up going to Sam’s and getting the same size Mickey Thompson’s for $185 each. So far they ride just fine and balanced well.

Oldstick

The Toyo Open Country tires are the best I have ever had for comfort and treadwear. I have the HT's which are super smooth and quiet on the road, which is mostly what my Tacoma sees.

cramer

I put Cooper AT3 on my Frontier. Great at first , but 30,000 miles into are loud inside.
Might have to go with Kelly next time.
We have Toyo H/T on the Honda Pilot and they are super smooth and quiet

sinclair1

I have 80k on discontinued BFG KO's, but I hear the KO2's replacements don't get that kind of mileage. Following thread for my next set.

breathe in

i had a '07 or '08 frontier and i loved the long trail ta's that were the original tires. great grip in wet weather.

not a frontier, but i bought some hercules brand for my sierra last year. good tires at a nice price.

I replaced some Nitro Grapplers I was running on my FX4 for about 8 yrs about 12,000 miles ago with BFG All Terrain T/As and I am VERY impressed with the smoothness and low noise (285/70 17) .The tires were purchased online at a very good price and delivered for free. Including mounting, balancing and An alignment for a hair under 1K.

One of the features I liked about these tires were the deep tread depth as new. Something I prefer for the long trips I drive, hoping to prevent road debris from punturing. So far, so good.

Last edited:

rospaw

Age does bring on a issue...... Went round and round, 3 lanes of traffic (one lane oncoming), off the road on the road never hitting anything a few weeks ago! Thank GOD the nurse that was driving in the oncoming lane pulled off the roadway. My front winch bumper stop 3 feet from her driver door. i was running 60ish when the front left tire came apart. Set of dunlop DD in a E rated tire 265/75/16 on a 3/4 ton 4x4 Excursion. Tires had 75-85% tread and looked fine. Driven A LOT in my life and have never ever felt that out of control. It was like being on ice and would not stop. No sign ahead of time and it went from fine to bad in a split sec. Passerby said after the 2nd spin it came up on two wheel trying to turn over, the frontend was biting the asphalt.
Put the spare on and drove home ..... SLOWLY and on the seat on my pants! Next day when to get a new set of 5 tires. Watched the guy break the tires down and found they had cracks/dry rot in tires that had 80% tread. I bought that Excursion with those tires on it 2 1/2 years ago with 60k miles on the truck. i don't drive it that much but have driven it 8k with those tires. Sometime with the wife and kids. facepalm:
Went home and looked at all the stuff i drive (have ins on) and out of 7 i had another set of tires that were cracking. The micky thompson MTZ on my pinz. Covered but the tires are not. I know they are 11 years old since i bought them new and have about 12k on them with 75% tread. I have a old 77 super cab ford 4x4 that have 33's BFG AT that i bought 20 plus years ago and they look great! 70% tread, kept outside all the time and no cracking/rot at all. Cj5 tires are 20 years old but garage kept and they look great. They are also MT MTZ in 33. The sun must be the killer on some tires. Pinz and cj have the same tires with one getting shined on and is a much newer tire has cracks where the garage kept (and much older tire) does not.

PS the 4 tires i replaced, i brought home and drilled hole in them so they do not end up on someone truck.

Cmp1

BANNED
I've got Cooper's on mine, good traction in the snow with weight in the bed, had good luck with them,,,,

tree cutter 08

Age does bring on a issue...... Went round and round, 3 lanes of traffic (one lane oncoming), off the road on the road never hitting anything a few weeks ago! Thank GOD the nurse that was driving in the oncoming lane pulled off the roadway. My front winch bumper stop 3 feet from her driver door. i was running 60ish when the front left tire came apart. Set of dunlop DD in a E rated tire 265/75/16 on a 3/4 ton 4x4 Excursion. Tires had 75-85% tread and looked fine. Driven A LOT in my life and have never ever felt that out of control. It was like being on ice and would not stop. No sign ahead of time and it went from fine to bad in a split sec. Passerby said after the 2nd spin it came up on two wheel trying to turn over, the frontend was biting the asphalt.
Put the spare on and drove home ..... SLOWLY and on the seat on my pants! Next day when to get a new set of 5 tires. Watched the guy break the tires down and found they had cracks/dry rot in tires that had 80% tread. I bought that Excursion with those tires on it 2 1/2 years ago with 60k miles on the truck. i don't drive it that much but have driven it 8k with those tires. Sometime with the wife and kids. facepalm:
Went home and looked at all the stuff i drive (have ins on) and out of 7 i had another set of tires that were cracking. The micky thompson MTZ on my pinz. Covered but the tires are not. I know they are 11 years old since i bought them new and have about 12k on them with 75% tread. I have a old 77 super cab ford 4x4 that have 33's BFG AT that i bought 20 plus years ago and they look great! 70% tread, kept outside all the time and no cracking/rot at all. Cj5 tires are 20 years old but garage kept and they look great. They are also MT MTZ in 33. The sun must be the killer on some tires. Pinz and cj have the same tires with one getting shined on and is a much newer tire has cracks where the garage kept (and much older tire) does not.

PS the 4 tires i replaced, i brought home and drilled hole in them so they do not end up on someone truck.
palms of my hands were bruised and sore for 2 weeks after fighting steering wheel on bucket truck after front passenger tire blew out few years back. Thank the Lord it was that side and no one was coming in other lane. It will make you think about tires and often! Tread was good but they had some age.

Halfhitch

Thanks guys – great information from personal experience here, which is what I thought might be the case. Lots of options so far. I’m also pleased to see a few Frontier fans around as well.

Rospaw and Tree Cutter - that’s exactly what I want to avoid – appreciate your both sharing, and it looks like Bullgator could have been headed for something similar but caught it in time. Glad to see you all survived with no damage to you, the vehicle, or someone else – could have been a lot worse. It confirms from your vehicles that age deterioration is a real possibility, even with modern tires. I may get a little extra time as the truck has rarely sat in the sun long and has always been garaged, but I won’t be going anyplace remote, or at high speeds, in it until the tires are replaced, which I plan to do very soon.

From the hits it seems like Sinclair and others may also be watching the thread as I am, so please keep information and experiences coming. Thanks again..

RinggoldGa

I ran BFG's for years onf F-150 and 250 but never got the longevity I wanted out of them.

I just replaced Toyo Open Country HT with a set of Toyo Open Country MT's. I got 10K+ more miles out of the HT than I did the BFG's. Liked the look of the MT's better and after a week of driving on them I'm a big fan. Ride better than the HT's.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
Ya'll crazy. I get all mine from the trash dump. Folks always throwin good tires away. Sometimes they only need 1 or 2 plugs.