New truck recommendations needed

brandonsc

So it’s time to buy a new truck. Currently driving a 2008 srw f350 that’s pushing 250k miles. Not worried about the financing/ money but don’t want to spend 70-80k

As of now I’m not set on any brand or model. My 2 requirements are crew cab and 4wd.

Are there any trucks, motors, or certain major issues I need to stay away from?

Ps not trying to start a brand war, just trying to get some real world reports

Thanks ahead of time

Reactions: Dub

Lilly001

Tough question.
I too have been looking at a new truck.
None of the big three seem to have anything that is worth the money they are asking.
Cylinder delete on the V8s is a killer on the engines as are the turbos on the v6s. Ford does have a couple bigger V8s without the delete (not totally sure on this).
The 8 and 10 speed transmissions are big $$ to fix and it seems you will have a problem with them.
I have heard a little about Dodges small diesel but that engine in a smaller truck seems overkill and $$$.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.

transfixer

There are major issues with every one of the big 3's full size trucks, if you buy GM,Ford or Dodge you WILL have issues , it WILL be back to the dealer multiple times during their warranty period! and if you keep it longer than the warranty period it WILL cost you $$$

earlthegoat2

If your only requirements are 4 door and 4wd get a small truck with a gas engine that doesn’t have turbos. I’m not sure but they may all have turbos for 2024 models. So Taco, Ranger, Frontier, Colorado, etc.

If you need to replace the F350 with something similar like a 3/4 or one ton, don’t get a diesel unless you are hauling more than 10,000 lbs every day.

Buford_Dawg

I am in the market as well and simply cant get a good feel for any of the 1/2 tons truck makers. I think I have it boiled down to the 5.0 liter Ford engine or the 5.3 Chevrolet. All are pushing their base turbo engines, but that worries me to some degree.

Dub

I am soon to be in the market, however, try as I might I’m struggling to get past the looks of the new Tundra.

I would prefer to stick with Toyota…..but I don’t know if I can accept the grill and low stance of that one.

brandonsc

I’ve been looking at the Tacomas, 150’s and 250’s diesels and non diesels.
If I was to buy a 150 it would be the 5.0, the eco boost are known for timing belt/ chain issues.

From what I’ve been told the Chevy diesels are extremely hard to work on and cost around 10k to have deleted. I haven’t ruled out a ram 2500 with a Cummins, but I know they can’t touch ford or Chevy with stock numbers

transfixer

the GM 3.0 duramax is starting to show issues, in someone's infinite wisdom they decided to run the oil pump via a rubber belt inside the back of the engine, similar to a timing belt , not sure what that engineer was smoking when he decided that would work ? no doubt they did it to reduce rotational friction, in order to get the most mileage, but it is going to be a problem for those owners, its already showing up to be one

Geffellz18

If I finally break down and buy a truck it will more than likely be a Third Gen. Tundra (2014-2021) model.
I’m FAAAR from an expert but know just enough to understand that all these “features” on more modern vehicles in general designed to gain fuel economy will greatly reduce their reliability-simply due to additional wear & tear on the components of the drivetrain!
Just give me the Ol’ normally aspirated v8 engine & 6speed(max) transmission.

If we’re being real-A 3-5yr old Toyota with under 100k will most likely outlast any of the other brands brand new models by a decade or more with far less cost of ownership!
BUT-It won’t be the brand new shiny coin that you want to impress everyone that doesn’t really care anyways!

twtabb

I just picked up 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD sport.
Doesn’t ride as smooth as f150 but comfortable. Just have to get use to the differences. Getting around 20mpg.
Going on a trip in two weeks. Will see how it does.

I would advise anyone who does buy a new truck to plan on getting rid of it by the time the factory warranty runs out, out of pocket repairs will be very costly on virtually all the new drivetrains.
That’s exactly what I plan to do.. I have the 3.0 diesel myself

snooker1

I have always been a Ford guy. I have owned a few new ones and put 150 thousand plus miles on them with no issues, they ran flawless. Currently have a 2019 F250 diesel, major disappointment. It's been back to Ford countless times for multiple reasons (all warranty). I was so fed up with the issue I actually went and looked at a Toyota, but I refuse to pay the money they want for a new or used one. My son has a 2020 dodge 2500 and loves it, but he has had multiple electrical problems.

WaltL1

Ive had several different brands of trucks over the years and for me Toyota was far and away the most reliable and darn near indestructable.

brandonsc

I’ve have a hard time comparing the tundra prices to a 3/4 ton diesel no matter what name is on it. I know they definitely make trucks now to be green friendly. If I was to buy a new diesel it would be deleted as soon as the factory warranty runs out

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
IMO the transmission is the weak point of all the new 1500 trucks. 8 and 10 speed trannys aren’t built for real work or longevity. If you need to tow, get a 2500. I don’t see the advantage of Diesel since they put all that crap on them. I know lots of folks with 250k+ on their gas 2500s

I’m on my third Ram 1500 4x4 crew cab. I trade in every 5 years or so. I’ve had zero problems with them up to ~110k mi. The most I tow is a utility trailer full of cabinets and a small boat or camper. Added bonus is that the 5.7l Hemi will get on down the road when you kick it

Latest posts