Do you really need that pickup truck?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yep, spent many years driving pickups I had to climb up into, and climb down from. But when age hits ya and the old back isn't friendly anymore. A smaller 4x4 is the way to go. Here's an old 56 Jeep and a huge buck from the Ocala National Forest in Fl. 45 mph was wide open, but it was a 4x4. and it got me from A to B

Attachments

• Ocalabuck.jpg
    Ocalabuck.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 21

Jim Baker

Staff member
I was at a dealership with a friend when a salesman came up. He ask if I was in the market for a new truck. I said, no. He said they could give me top dollar for my trade. I told him I was there with a friend and besides all I had was a wife and a dog. He said well alright, what kinda dog you got.

I told him I wasn't looking to get rid of the dog.

That said, the wife is on her 4th Chevy Silverado. She trades every 4 years or so. She says she will never go back to a car. Last vehicle before pickups was a Tahoe. Says she likes the feeling of being above the crowd. Never put more than 60K on any of them.

Me I am driving a 2012 GMC Sierra that I traded my 1999 Chevy 200k for.

If I purchase a new truck it will be a FORD. I drove Chevys all my life until
Chevrolet folded and took the guv. bail out(2009) and then became Obamamotors.
Ford didn't take the bailout and restructured and came back the American
way , by hard work.

2 things. Chevy bailout was during the Bush administrator. Ford did indeed take 9 billion in bailout money.

Guess you are buying a Tesla!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Life without a pick up truck isn't life at all.

Baroque Brass

I was thinking about starting a similar thread the other day. Figuring that most of us drive trucks, my thread would have been What Do You Drive?

For me, I had three cars and several motorcycles starting with a 1966 Chevy Belair sedan with a 283 and a “Powerslide” transmission. I got my first truck, a 1972 Chevy stepside in the early 80’s. I’ve driven nothing but trucks since. In January I found a sweet deal on a 2018 F150 Platinum with 30k miles. I’d always driven Chevy trucks and my intention was to buy a GMC Sierra but after driving both, I decided I liked the Ford better. It is very comfortable and currently indicates 20.8 mpg in mixed driving. And air conditioned seats are sweet on a hot summer day! It’ll likely be the last vehicle I’ll buy.

I’ve only bought one new truck, that was a 1985 Chevy Silverado, all others were used. I can’t afford nor will I pay today’s price on a new truck.

My other truck is a 1993 Chevy Silverado that I got in 1994. It had about 12k miles on it. It currently has about 125k (the odometer quit a few months back) and it’s in great condition. It moved my daughter to college and it’s helped us move a few times. It’s part of the family. 9B0182AA-5925-4A5C-93C0-E62C08005E1F.jpegF1D11522-306A-4919-8DF9-DB00A4FDECEB.jpeg

Do do I need a truck? Yes, I sometimes NEED a truck. The rest of the time, I just prefer a truck.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
. Ford did indeed take 9 billion in bailout money.

Please supply a link to Ford taking bailout money.

https://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/
The company — the only one of the Big Three not to receive a bailout — feared a collapse of GM and Chrysler at the time would have hurt suppliers and, in turn, Ford itself. Ford Chief Executive Officer Alan R. Mulally also asked Congress for a “credit line” of up to $9 billion in case the economy worsened.
...Ford did receive $5.9 billion in government loans in 2009 to retool its manufacturing plants

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Yep, spent many years driving pickups I had to climb up into, and climb down from. But when age hits ya and the old back isn't friendly anymore. A smaller 4x4 is the way to go. Here's an old 56 Jeep and a huge buck from the Ocala National Forest in Fl. 45 mph was wide open, but it was a 4x4. and it got me from A to B

I've been hunting a split windshield Willy's project. I've got a '99 F250 4x4 rolling chassis to put it on.

Amazing how many of those trucks were grove trucks down in Florida.

madsam

2 things. Chevy bailout was during the Bush administrator. Ford did indeed take 9 billion in bailout money.

Guess you are buying a Tesla!
Ford received a loan but did pay back. GM received TARP funds(BAILOUT) and still to this day
have not paid it back. Also, GM/Chrysler where taken over by the Fed. Gov. and
basically ran by watchdogs rendering them OBAMAMOTORS.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Ford received a loan but did pay back. GM received TARP funds(BAILOUT) and still to this day
have not paid it back. Also, GM/Chrysler where taken over by the Fed. Gov. and
basically ran by watchdogs rendering them OBAMAMOTORS.
Ford has not paid the govt back for it's loan

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Yep, that's a ONF spike all right. Dog hunted there back in the early to mid 80's with my FIL. Never saw a buck much bigger than yours. Gave it up after some dude was found with a bullet hole in his head sitting in his truck. Still partied there plenty afterwards though, climbing hills and mud bogging. Lot of good times there.

The Frontier and Hog Valley. I heard the Frontier is closed down now.