New truck recommendations needed

benellisbe

IMO the transmission is the weak point of all the new 1500 trucks. 8 and 10 speed trannys aren’t built for real work or longevity. If you need to tow, get a 2500. I don’t see the advantage of Diesel since they put all that crap on them. I know lots of folks with 250k+ on their gas 2500s

I’m on my third Ram 1500 4x4 crew cab. I trade in every 5 years or so. I’ve had zero problems with them up to ~110k mi. The most I tow is a utility trailer full of cabinets and a small boat or camper. Added bonus is that the 5.7l Hemi will get on down the road when you kick it
I have a 21 Ram Rebel 5.7 Hemi I bought new in late December of 2020. I have 92k miles on it as of now. I have enjoyed it but I have had the fuel tank (entire tank, filler neck, vapor canister and fuel pump) replaced as well as 1 fuel pump (so I'm on my second fuel tank and 3rd fuel pump). I bought the 7 year, 1Mil warranty so I'm going to keep running the mess out of this truck but the engine has been great and it was almost $20k cheaper than the AT4 GMC I was looking at.

killerv

I have a 21 Ram Rebel 5.7 Hemi I bought new in late December of 2020. I have 92k miles on it as of now. I have enjoyed it but I have had the fuel tank (entire tank, filler neck, vapor canister and fuel pump) replaced as well as 1 fuel pump (so I'm on my second fuel tank and 3rd fuel pump). I bought the 7 year, 1Mil warranty so I'm going to keep running the mess out of this truck but the engine has been great and it was almost $20k cheaper than the AT4 GMC I was looking at.
Another great thing about dodges, if you end up going to Hades, it wont get you there.

benellisbe

Another great thing about dodges, if you end up going to Hades, it wont get you there.

Show me any manufacturer today that makes a high quality vehicle free of major defects.

I have a (2022) Yukon AT4 for my wife that has had constant electrical system issues. Her 19 Expedition had a transmission failure at 95k miles. My 16 F350 had to have the entire rear diff, gears, etc. all replaced due to "water intrusion", my last 4 (FOUR) fords have all had to have the rear cab window replaced within 24 months due to water leaking. My last GMC transmission was so bad I have stayed far away from them since then. Everything is made with the cheapest labor and cheapest parts... Then the dealerships seem to have gotten way from keeping long term competent mechanics and hiring inexperienced personnel along with only 1/2 the total techs so everything takes weeks. The most dependable vehicle I own is a 23 year old Tacoma that I rebuilt the motor on 4 years ago....

killerv

Show me any manufacturer today that makes a high quality vehicle free of major defects.

I have a (2022) Yukon AT4 for my wife that has had constant electrical system issues. Her 19 Expedition had a transmission failure at 95k miles. My 16 F350 had to have the entire rear diff, gears, etc. all replaced due to "water intrusion", my last 4 (FOUR) fords have all had to have the rear cab window replaced within 24 months due to water leaking. My last GMC transmission was so bad I have stayed far away from them since then. Everything is made with the cheapest labor and cheapest parts... Then the dealerships seem to have gotten way from keeping long term competent mechanics and hiring inexperienced personnel along with only 1/2 the total techs so everything takes weeks. The most dependable vehicle I own is a 23 year old Tacoma that I rebuilt the motor on 4 years ago....
"last GMC transmission was so bad I have stayed far away from them since then"

Yet you bought your wife a 2022 GMC?

benellisbe

Mama got what she wanted.

transfixer

The competent experienced techs that were once at Dealerships have long left there to work for independent shops, dealerships pay flat rate labor, which is usually not enough time to do the job correctly, and the way Dealer service depts are set up it is very difficult for the majority of techs to make enough hours for a decent salary, the ones that stay are marginally competent at best for the most part, they're basically parts changers, not actually technicians who can analyze and diagnose a problem.

I've got 37+ yrs in as a professional tech, never worked at a dealership, been recruited by 3 different ones, but would not take the pay cut to go to work for a dealership

New vehicles are NOT built to last, only to make the fuel mileage requirements the government mandates, and make it out of warranty , which seldom happens anyway

Latest posts