Do you really need that pickup truck?

earlthegoat2

First of all, this link is from a trash social media service that I truly have very little use for.....nonetheless here it is.

Post-Culture Review on Twitter: "What that means though is your average Ram 2500 Megacab is no better for hauling plywood than a base-model Toyota Sienna minivan with the seats folded down." / Twitter

This may be hyperbole but these have been nearly my exact sentiments for quite some time now. Im not here to judge, (maybe a little) I dont take it too seriously anymore. I love trucks and think everyone should experience them in their lives.

My truck is by far my favorite possession. It is a 2000 F-250 4x4 V10 regular cab long bed that I purchased with 144K miles on it in 2016 for $4500. I probably have $7500 total cost of ownership (not including gas) in it so far. I use it for landscape work and I live in a major-big-time fixer upper house. I haul 16' lumber with it all the time. I barely buy anything but 16' lengths even if I only need to use a few feet.

I built most of that garage with materials I retrieved with that truck. All the dimensional lumber, siding, roofing. Not the trusses though…. I have loaded that with an entire pallet of Quikrete by mistake once but it just chugged it like a hoss even though I knew it was severely overloaded. It needs new tires and probably an alignment and it has an EVAP leak (big surprise) but will probably get me to 300+K miles just like my last 2000 model F250 V10 did.

Anyone care to share their own trucks and their uses?

A57B2DF6-EFD6-4D02-A4BC-EC2EC69B55C5.jpeg

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
516ADF47-E670-4CDB-840B-A3AC4CFA62D8.jpeg
Mines a 2000 crew cab with the 7.3. I’m getting about double the mpg as your v10. I had a 99 f250 uhaul box truck with that engine. Strong engine but it loves gasoline. I’ve also got a 99 crew 7.3 2 wheel drive. It’s set up for pulling a gooseneck with air bag suspension and brake booster. I drive the 2000 model daily and pull a 16’ box trailer for work. I resurrected that truck. It had a cracked block when I bought it. 20k later and I’ve pretty much got a new truck. The odometer reads 400,000 plus on it. The 99 model just rolled over 300,000

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
@mguthrie

Nice truck. These older Super Dutys are awesome. The 7.3 was an incredible light truck diesel.

I like the V10s though. Personal preference is all.
I love mine. That uhaul truck I had was awesome. That v10 is probably one of the best gas engines Ford made back in the day. I’m in the market for an excursion. I’d like a 7.3 but I wouldn’t hesitate owning one with a v10. I’ll pass on the 5.4

Big7

The Oracle
I had the Ram 1500 Sport; bought brand new in 98'.
It was still on the car hauler. Wrote a paper check on the spot.

Had it 20 years. Wouldn't even let nobody else drive it for 15. Burned to the ground along with no telling how much $$$ in hunting and fishing + ammo inside.

I was still in the hospital (6 months) when I found out. My family didn't even tell me until 5th month thinking it would set my health back. Squirrels got to the gas line. My Uncle was going to move it to cut grass. Boom. Almost killed him.

I LOVED THAT TRUCK. 400K Still running lime a top.FB_IMG_1627864280405.jpg

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Yes, I need my 08 F250 Xtra cab 4x4 for big jobs, towing my trailer, tractor, buggy, whatever...Got a big winch on it too.

Yes, I need my 98 Tacoma 4x4 single cab with lockers in each end on 33 Swampers for hunting, fishing, trapping, whatever...

Yes, I need my '00 4Runner 4x4 every day...

I'm a truck guy.

jaydawg

Who don’t like trucks?…communists?….luv my 2005 dodge, does it all and would drive it anywhere w/265K miles….have the Chevy for pulling trailers/campers etc…feel claustrophobic in a car….

Attachments

• 8781E6EC-6D8F-4717-B133-F1FCBB502263.jpeg
    8781E6EC-6D8F-4717-B133-F1FCBB502263.jpeg
    627.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 767BE2EC-39C7-4AF5-8826-17D8FBD51E00.jpeg
    767BE2EC-39C7-4AF5-8826-17D8FBD51E00.jpeg
    600.9 KB · Views: 13

Redbow

Yep, I love my old '86 Chevy silverado its my favorite truck. I do have a 2019 Nissan Frontier its fun to drive with the peppy V-6. I have had many truck in my life all GM or Dodge. None ever gave me problems but the last GM I owned a 2008 Sierra the steering and front end was worn out at 80,000 miles. I weaned off GM after that one but I would not be without a pickup truck.

zedex

Gator Bait
I've had many trucks and a number of cars and more motorcycles than a person could possibly imagine.

Of trucks, I've had 2 Fords. An old F100 that fell dead at 40K. Was a 302 engine. Took to smoking around 30K and went downhill from there. Was always doing things to it to keep it going. My grandfather gave me a F250 Camper Special. Was a 460 engine. Oil pump failure put an end to that one at about 70K. That truck was pampered from the start. { By comparison, I also had a Mercury Montego MX originally a 302 car, but swapped in a 460 and beat the dog snot out it racing every weekend and it just would not die. Seemed to love the abuse}

Then, I bought a Mazda B1800, then a B2000. I really like the mini trucks. Cant haul a lot, but great handling, great fuel economy. My biggest complain being the trucks were so flimsy, the hood would just fly up over any little bump. That's when I started putting hood pins on every vehicle I own

Picked up an old Chevy Luv. Plagued with carb issues. Finally gave up and replaced the carb. Ran well but sold it shortly after.

Got an old 77 Dodge B100 shorty window van. Looked like it fell right out of 1977.... shag carpet, couch that reclined into a bed, 23 channel CB... very nice van. Even had the old Cragar wheels and raised white letter tires and side pipes. I should have kept that thing.

After that was a Nissan 720 pickup. Was an 86. The following year, the D21 came out. I loved that truck. Put it through several cross country trips, a couple trips each from Georgia to Mexico and Canada. Never an an issue until I left Georgia. The rear main seal started leaking so I replaced that and the clutch kit {since I was in it that far anyway}. A couple years later, I replaced the engine. Was pulling a very heavy load and the engine died. Found a running but rusted out hull of a body. Rebuilt the engine and installed it. Sold it a few years later.

But, by that time, I had already picked up my Dakota. Before selling the Nissan, I took the time to do a lot of modifications to the Dodge. Rebuilt the front end, braking system, pulled the engine and did massive amounts of performance mods, installed the rear axle from a 68 Charger and had axle shafts made to fit the rear end but retain the 6 lug pattern, ram air system, tuner chipped, built headers for it, etc....

Been driving that Dakota nearly 18 years and other than routine stuff, its been flawless and even now with 220K on it, it will send them rear tires to smoking from a rolling start of 25mph.

I promised my daughter she can have the truck when she gets her license next year, so I'm keeping an eye out for my next {last} truck. I ain't no sissy guy. I dont need power this or power that, no A/C.... none of that. I want a bare bones, no frills and thrills options. no luxury this or that. I know how to use a manual window regulator and prefer the mechanical seat adjusters and I can slam through the gears with the best of them.

BabyDoll just bought a new Honda Civic in January and we will have that paid off by year's end. After that, we going be looking for a truck. If I don't find what I'm looking for by the time my daughter takes my truck, I have BabyDoll"s old Toyota something car to drive

I'm a truck guy, through and through. Can do all sorts of stuff with a truck. And there's more room in the truck than the back seat of that Civic :p

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Bought my current truck, an F150 Lariat/V8 new in 2006. She rolled over 250,000 last month. Have thought about a new truck, but can't bring myself to even consider the prices these days. At this point, I'll probably drop a new crate engine in this one when she finally gives up the ghost. Has taken me just about anywhere I want to go, and probably kept me from getting into trouble, knowing I didn't have 4x4.
20210515_105257_copy_917x738.jpg

I drive a 2500 Cummins ram. I dont NEED the truck but I feel safe driving it. I do use it to towe tractors and campers and things like that. I get 21.5 MPG when I am driving it around without towing and I am certain that my odds in survival is MUCH greater in this truck than in a car or smaller vehicle.....

Have you driven an interstate lately? lol No way would I ever travel in a car.

bany

My pickup will be sticking around also. I may even pull a few minivans out of harms way.