New truck recommendations needed

brandonsc

I would build an F350 srw with the 7.3 gas engine. You can get that truck for under 60,000 if you don’t go crazy on the options.
I’ve been looking at xl or xlt. I don’t need all that extra stuff. Have you drove one of the 7.3 gas trucks yet?

Havana Dude

Can’t help you. I drive a 98 Chevy and a 2001 Ford diesel. 440000 miles between the 2. Been about 33 years since I looked at new trucks. Bought a brand new 1990 ford f 150 XLT. Biggest piece of crap ever. I’ll just pay for the occasional repairs needed on mine. Good luck.

transfixer

IMO the transmission is the weak point of all the new 1500 trucks. 8 and 10 speed trannys aren’t built for real work or longevity. If you need to tow, get a 2500. I don’t see the advantage of Diesel since they put all that crap on them. I know lots of folks with 250k+ on their gas 2500s

I’m on my third Ram 1500 4x4 crew cab. I trade in every 5 years or so. I’ve had zero problems with them up to ~110k mi. The most I tow is a utility trailer full of cabinets and a small boat or camper. Added bonus is that the 5.7l Hemi will get on down the road when you kick it

You are correct in that the 8spd and 10spd units are a weak point, with all the manufacturers, Ford and GM units are very similar in design, as they collaborated with each other in the design process, Ram is a whole different ballgame, they are using a variety of transmissions, from their own designs, to one from Asian-Seki , to one from ZF of germany

the issue with GM and Ford units is with the Torque converter mainly, it is possible to reprogram the transmission software to eliminate a lot of the problem, but GM has made it extremely expensive to do so on models after 2018, Ford not so much, but I haven't had the opportunity to reprogram a Ford unit as of yet, hope to be able to do that soon.

If I were wealthy to the point I could buy a new Truck with cash, and it not inconvenience me, being in the automotive repair business, knowing what I know, I'd have a VERY hard time deciding which truck to buy from the major 3 makers, they all have major issues, the days of 200k miles before major repairs are forever gone, only way that will happen now is if its strictly highway driven, and not actually worked like a truck is meant to be worked. Most current models will need major repairs before 100k

• Sad
Reactions: Dub

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
We've had 1 issue with our 21 Chevy Silverado - air dam on the front malfunctioned. I think not uncommon. Easy warranty repair.
Almost 50K & we're well pleased (knocking on wood as I type).
Full disclosure - we like GM products.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I have a 2010 Ram 2500 Cummins with a standard transmission (last year before you needed DEF). The only issue I have had with it mechanically was I had to replace the clutch years ago at around 150k miles and a leak in my coolant system, also after a couple of hundred thousand miles were put on it. I don't run it as much as I used to because diesel cost so much, and I am not hauling as much heavy items as I once did but it is a **** of a truck. This photo was taken during a trip to Wyoming in December a few years back. 15732317_10205966932851365_997186513364979610_o.jpg

paulito

2019 Chevy silverado - new engine before 120K
2019 Chevy 4500 landscape truck - new tranny before 30K
2021 Ford F450 stake body - new engine before 30K

I drive 2018 F150 and coming up on 150K. have had to have the 10 speed trannt reprogrammed and then serviced later. Hate that tranny and hate the auto off feature. other than that been a good truck.

All trucks "ain't what they used to be". Too many computers and EPA add ons now a days. And they still barely get 20 MPG, go figure.

Triple C

Prolly have trouble with any of the Big 3.

Been driving GMC since 2008.

Traded 2017 1500 Sierra with 110k miles back in February for 2023 1500 AT4 package with 3.0 Duramax Turbo Diesel.

Love this truck. 23.7 mpg since new.

We shall see how long the 10 speed tranny lasts before issues.

krizia829

Not sure how big you want to go, but you really can't beat a Toyota Tacoma. Those things will last you as long as you take good care of them. Not sure how much they go for nowadays but I'd go for that if it was me

killerv

Prolly have trouble with any of the Big 3.

Been driving GMC since 2008.

Traded 2017 1500 Sierra with 110k miles back in February for 2023 1500 AT4 package with 3.0 Duramax Turbo Diesel.

Love this truck. 23.7 mpg since new.

We shall see how long the 10 speed tranny lasts before issues.
The 10 speeds have been solid so far, far better than the 8speed before it.

killerv

Hard to say, if you want to stay away from turbos, that its going to take a new tundra out of the equation. Buddy just bought a brand new one, 65 sticker without leather. Plus you have to plan any trips around gas station stops. They still haven't figured out gas mileage on those things. I cant stand nissan these days. I think a lot of the issues you see with GMs 6.2 are folks hotrodding thinking they own a vette and not running premium gas. Knock on wood, no issues with my 5.3 yet, 54k miles bought new in 2020. People seem to love the 3.0, you hear of issues but not near as many with the gas engines. From a GM service tech I know, he says about 1 in 20 of the gas trucks have engine issues....mostly lifter failures. Amsoil is making an upper cylinder lubricant that is supposed to help keep the cylinders from being starved when it switches back to all 8 cylinders. I hear the ford 5.0 did away with the cylinder sleeves and all just aluminum now and now their once great engine is having issues.

Honestly, its a crap shoot these days. Buy what you want and keep your fingers crossed.

transfixer

The 10 speeds have been solid so far, far better than the 8speed before it.

umm,,, far from solid I'm afraid,,,, but yes,better than the 8spds, the 10spds are having premature wear involving the off axis pump idler gears, causing a noise in the pump area of the transmission, Dealers are seeing them regularly under warranty, we're starting to see them in the aftermarket

umm,,, far from solid I'm afraid,,,, but yes,better than the 8spds, the 10spds are having premature wear involving the off axis pump idler gears, causing a noise in the pump area of the transmission, Dealers are seeing them regularly under warranty, we're starting to see them in the aftermarket
What’s the proactive thing one can do to help or head off issues or just let it take its course and deal with it when it arises. I don’t plan to keep the truck long term. 3 or 4 years. Bought it new No heavy towing just normal day to day easy adult driving. 3.0 diesel 10 speed

transfixer

What’s the proactive thing one can do to help or head off issues or just let it take its course and deal with it when it arises. I don’t plan to keep the truck long term. 3 or 4 years. Bought it new No heavy towing just normal day to day easy adult driving. 3.0 diesel 10 speed

To my knowledge there isn't anything you can do, GM has updated the parts involved once or twice already, time will tell if that has solved the problems

dacre507

My 2020 Silverado is sitting in the shop now with fuel pump and transmission issues. The truck hit 61,000 miles and suddenly the transmission starts acting up. I have an '04 4Runner with the V8 with 300k miles on it and I do not think I could kill it if I wanted to. Is the issue with newer cars/trucks poor engineering or are they being intentionally designed to fail?

Hillbilly stalker

The new Toyotas have switched to the new motors. The day of 300k Toyota motors is over. They are right beside Chevy and Ford. Plenty of info out there on it.

transfixer

My 2020 Silverado is sitting in the shop now with fuel pump and transmission issues. The truck hit 61,000 miles and suddenly the transmission starts acting up. I have an '04 4Runner with the V8 with 300k miles on it and I do not think I could kill it if I wanted to. Is the issue with newer cars/trucks poor engineering or are they being intentionally designed to fail?

its partially faulty engineering , and software programming designed to get the most fuel mileage possible, at the expense of longevity and dependability unfortunately !

The manufacturers are concerned with mileage numbers, not durability or dependability, they are hoping the vehicles make it past the warranty period of course, but most do not , especially GM trucks.

The funny thing is once the vehicle is sold and comes back in for warranty issues with the transmission, they change the programming in the transmission so it will last a little longer, but they don't do it initially because the original programming gets the best possible mileage

pjciii

You would look like high cotton in 2023 Ford Shelby addition with the 800hp engine.you could really run those back roads in 4x4.

Gaswamp

Personally, I wouldnt buy a new truck right now