Do you really need that pickup truck?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Couldn’t make it without a truck ! Kinda hard to believe but I’m 48 and have only owned 3 trucks in my life . That’s 32 years out of 3 vehicles . All Toyota , current one is 7 years old . I drive them til they quit and they really start riding good when they get paid for .F5067103-03B6-4B85-BE9B-A1EFCAF9A9BD.jpeg

zedex

Gator Bait
This evening, Babydoll and I talked about another truck after we pay off her car.

We are kinda leaning towards a GM vehicle. I'd like a diesel, but dont want a huge truck. I can drive it, no problem, but she is a tiny thing at 5-2 and 108 pounds. We often swap vehicles depending on what we are doing. So a regular size truck should be ok for her. Dont need dually, extended cab, 4dr.
Her Civic will be paid off come year's end. Only $14K left on it. Who knows.... maybe get another second generation Dakota and rebuild it from ground up. May be cheaper that way and we will know it is good for the next 25 years

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
The gold dually Ford...winner. (And I'm a Dodge man to boot).

Just wait until I get the 5.9 Cummins/6 speed/4x4 conversion in it.

In that body style you could not get 4x4 in a F350 DRW truck. You could in a DRW chassis cab though. I ordered one new in '97 and this truck is identical except my old truck was a 5 speed instead od automatic.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I dont know if this is it but the common rail 5.9 Cummins has been known to get scary good mileage.

I've heard they are actually a net producer of diesel fuel and folks sell their excess diesel back to fuel stations.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Couldn’t make it without a truck ! Kinda hard to believe but I’m 48 and have only owned 3 trucks in my life . That’s 32 years out of 3 vehicles . All Toyota , current one is 7 years old . I drive them til they quit and they really start riding good when they get paid for .View attachment 1095442

I would seriously consider one of those for my LAST truck.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Couldn’t make it without a truck ! Kinda hard to believe but I’m 48 and have only owned 3 trucks in my life . That’s 32 years out of 3 vehicles . All Toyota , current one is 7 years old . I drive them til they quit and they really start riding good when they get paid for .

They make great little vehicles and I've owned four of them new. They just won't do real truck stuff like pull a 30,000 lb goose.

I've owned two '86 4x4 short beds, an '87 4Runner and a '92 4x4 Extra Cab.

My sister has a one owner '92 4x4 Extra Cab out in Texas she wants to give me. I'll go get it one of these days.

GTMODawg

BANNED
I have owned at least one full size PU since 1979 and in all honesty most of the time any car would have done what all of those trucks did 90% of the time. Get me from point a to point b. It was the other 10% of the time that they were handy to have about the place.

Most of these were 4wd. Almost never needed it except when I did. Those times were usually the results of decisions I made which could have been avoided....but the day wouldn't have been as good a day!

I currently have 2014 GMC 3500. Gas. It guzzles gas. I have about 45K miles on it. in 7 years. I have driven it across the US twice and from New Mexico to Washington once and Washington to Alberta Canada 4 times. Obviously I could get by without this gas guzzling son of a gun. A little over 500 miles a month??? I could have easily found an alternative and saved a pile of money in the process. No, I don't really need it....but I want it, I have it and from time to time it makes life a little simpler or more enjoyable.

Buford_Dawg

Never known or owned anything besides a truck, family has 3 right now along with wife's car. Never could imagine not driving a pickup, just too many times I need the functionality of one. Owned Chevys and Fords and have been extremely happy with both brands, Currently 2 Ford 150s and 1 Chevy Silverado, all crew cabs.

MX5HIGH

I’ve owned many cars, motorcycles and trucks over the years from a 1954 Chevy pickup (all original which I wish I still had) to my current truck which is a 2008 Toyota Tacoma base truck. I bought it last year from the original owner who wanted a new Tacoma. When I bought the truck he gave me a stack of service records from the Toyota dealer where he always had it serviced.
I have done a full detail on the truck including the engine bay. It looks and rides like a new truck. If you drove it without looking at the odometer you would never guess that it has 413,000 miles on it. I started to trade it in on a 2021 Tacoma recently and the dealer offered me the same $$$ I paid for it last year. I like my ‘08 Tacoma so much I decided I didn’t need a new truck with all the bells and whistles.

0E409A21-546D-4A3E-A8C0-C12268EFC256.png

Triple C

Couldn’t make it without a truck ! Kinda hard to believe but I’m 48 and have only owned 3 trucks in my life . That’s 32 years out of 3 vehicles . All Toyota , current one is 7 years old . I drive them til they quit and they really start riding good when they get paid for .View attachment 1095442
antharper...Like the way you roll. Pretty sure that's gonna be my next truck. Son lives next door and has big trucks. I don't need a big truck anymore. The Tacoma will do all I want and then some.

zedex

Gator Bait
Some things baffle me. With the average truck price here hovering around $85K, how do people afford them?? I just cannot see the value.
Then, we have mid 20 year olds buying new homes in excess of $800K, a couple brand new trucks, new Jeeps, and $40K Harleys.
And they are forever eating out.

How do they do it?? I know they are way over their heads in debt. I just cant do that. I dont like debt over me. We have the Civic debt. That bothers me, but ok. She works hard, deserves it. But I want the debt eliminated ASAP. That's why I've been doing so much work, pay it off. If I thought I could make more doing it, I'd put up brass poles at intersections and wear a to-to in the evenings. I absolutely abhor debt. Been tempted to sell off stocks to pay it off, but that would cost more in earnings in the future.

How do the 20 something year olds survive?

earlthegoat2

Most of these were 4wd. Almost never needed it except when I did. Those times were usually the results of decisions I made which could have been avoided....but the day wouldn't have been as good a day!

A lot of people ask me if I REALLY need 4wd. The answer is yes and yes. Pulling trailers on unpaved (often unimproved) roads will leave you slipping all the time. I have had to use 4wd in my own back yard several times this year alone.

Sometimes I am stupid and my zero turn ends up in a ditch. 2wd only pulled it out once. 4wd all the other times. (Yeah, I didnt learn from my first slip)

Plus we are all outdoorsman. Sometimes you need 4wd at the boat ramp and you always need it out to your hunting property or Ft Stewart. Haha.

calibob1

COMMIE LOVER TROLL
more than a thirty round magazine