Has anyone bought a new car recently?

GONoob

I'm shocked at these prices. I'm in the market for a new Chevy 2500 HD LT/turbodiesel/4x4/crew cab. MSRP is around $62-64k(Depending on options). I called Rick Hendricks about a vehicle that says its in-transit on their website. I called and the the sales rep said we actually do have this truck in the store. I drive 2 hours to see said truck but the truck was never there and it actually sold to another dealership a few days ago. I ask about building my own and they said oh its going to take a year to build and they found a truck that was in transit and expected to be here by the end of the month. Rick Hendricks wants $77k out the door for a $62k MSRP. What's even funnier and insulting is that we talked it down to $71k out the door for 2 hours, then the general manager comes out and tells me its actually $77k. I know inventory is tight but wow. I'm at a loss for words.

Historically, I've bought my work vehicles at 10-15% off MSRP. I'm ok paying MSRP today given the market but have a hard time convincing myself to go 10-15k OVER MSRP.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone here work at Chevrolet? I really need a truck for work.

Last edited:

Buford_Dawg

Right now is a terrible time to buy a vehicle or house? Both way over priced. And same with used vehicles. If you can hold off thru end of this year, supposedly prices will get back to normal, at least that is what a buddy of mine in the car selling business has advised me. I was looking as well, I am holding out till next year.

nmurph

I bought a Silverado for my son last month. After looking around for several weeks it became apparent that 1-2k off of the dealer sticker is doing good. It is the same way with houses. Buyers have a tough time accepting that it's going to take ask or better or someone else is going to be sleeping in your house in a few weeks.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
After this experience I'm open to all 2500 trucks. What brand do you like?
I've owned all of them over the years. For the last 20 years, I've been a solid fan of Nissans. When I drove my first one for 300k with no issues and almost all the original parts still on it, I was sold. Made in southern America, too. The last Chevy I owned, I had about replaced the whole truck by 150k miles. Except the 2500 size Nissan Titans are also in the 50-60k range, too. I drive a Frontier. $30-some k. Trucks are just stupid high nowadays.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
My buddy bought one of those. Paid a fortune. It started falling apart at about 35,000 miles.

I work the tar out of mine(pull 30k lb trailers, ect) and it's been a jewel for 4+ years.

Ford Super Duties have the death wobble(folks have actually died) and Chevrolet has the Chevy shake.

I just checked Akins' website and they have F250's OVER MSRP and very few Ram Heavy Duty trucks. A few months ago the had big discounts.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
We've been looking for a new used Tahoe for my wife. They're scarce.

Ray357

AWOL
I'm shocked at these prices. I'm in the market for a new Chevy 2500 HD LT/turbodiesel/4x4/crew cab. MSRP is around $62-64k(Depending on options). I called Rick Hendricks about a vehicle that says its in-transit on their website. I called and the the sales rep said we actually do have this truck in the store. I drive 2 hours to see said truck but the truck was never there and it actually sold to another dealership a few days ago. I ask about building my own and they said oh its going to take a year to build and they found a truck that was in transit and expected to be here by the end of the month. Rick Hendricks wants $77k out the door for a $62k MSRP. What's even funnier and insulting is that we talked it down to $71k out the door for 2 hours, then the general manager comes out and tells me its actually $77k. I know inventory is tight but wow. I'm at a loss for words.

Historically, I've bought my work vehicles at 10-15% off MSRP. I'm ok paying MSRP today given the market but have a hard time convincing myself to go 10-15k OVER MSRP.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone here work at Chevrolet? I really need a truck for work.
Not the time to buy. You gonna take a beating if you buy right now.

Robert28

Here’s what’s going to happen. People that bought at these inflated prices are going to eventually be VERY upside down in their new truck or car or suv. Then when they can’t trade in because they owe $10,000+ more than the vehicle is worth, dealers aren’t going be able to sell a lot. The market will eventually level out and then I predict you’ll see a hurting in the auto industry due to lack of sales and sitting on inventory. I’m waiting to see what it’s like next year or two and plan on taking full advantage of the coming crisis. Hold fast if you can. I promise you’ll benefit in the long run if you do.

Jeetdawg

Chip shortage has put a serious dent in new production. Top that off with the fact all the stimulus money is out there and people want to buy. Go by any dealership and the number of new vehicles on the lot dwindles every day with folks buying quickly and new ones not coming in. Used car market is up as well and trucks/suvs are driving the demand. Read an article this week that an average selling price for a Silverado was 52K. Now ain’t the time to be buying but a great sellers market!!

Reactions: srb

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Here’s what’s going to happen. People that bought at these inflated prices are going to eventually be VERY upside down in their new truck or car or suv. Then when they can’t trade in because they owe $10,000+ more than the vehicle is worth, dealers aren’t going be able to sell a lot. The market will eventually level out and then I predict you’ll see a hurting in the auto industry due to lack of sales and sitting on inventory. I’m waiting to see what it’s like next year or two and plan on taking full advantage of the coming crisis. Hold fast if you can. I promise you’ll benefit in the long run if you do.

Excellent point.

I remember Akin's selling two brand new Ram 1500's for the price of one after the housing crash. My business partner and I sure wished we needed new trucks.

Redbow

No way I would pay 60k for a Chevy.
Nope, neither would I, but I would not pay that for any other brand of truck either.

A friend of mine just bought a new Ford pickup recently. That thing has all the bells and whistles on it its super nice. He took me for a ride in it I don't know how much he paid for it for him it doesn't matter he could buy a fleet of them if he wished and pay cash . I would guess my friend paid north of 75k for his new truck. Its amazing to me how we could see his truck from any angle on the dash screen even a picture of his new truck from above the vehicle, like a drone was videoing us from above.

Last edited: