Cyst on Bass

SarahFair

My son pulled this fish out of a private pond today.

Between he and his friends they pulled out about 35+ this afternoon (all this size or smaller).

This is the only one that had this.
He said he threw it back but now wonders if he shouldnt have.

Any idea what it is?
Cause?
Contagious?
Keep or dispose?

Best picture I have, he didn't realize it was out of focus.

Snapchat-1825408244.jpg

skiff20

Over the years I have caught several (10 or 12) bass like that. All came from the west side of the state. Weiss or West Point Lakes, Coosa river I was always told it was caused by a lamprey ell attached to the bass.

Probably just recovering from a hook injury. The fact that no other bass had a similar lesion/cyst suggests it's not probably not a transmissible pathogen. Your pond is probably just fine, though the catch rate you referenced suggests it might be a little crowded with bass, and harvesting some fish probably wouldn't hurt.

SarahFair

Probably just recovering from a hook injury. The fact that no other bass had a similar lesion/cyst suggests it's not probably not a transmissible pathogen. Your pond is probably just fine, though the catch rate you referenced suggests it might be a little crowded with bass, and harvesting some fish probably wouldn't hurt.
It's definitely over crowded, the property was bought last year, they are supposed to shock it at some point to see what's in it.

I asked if it could have been a hook injury, he said he didn't think so :huh:

across the river

It is typically referred to, not so surprisingly, as “Red Sore Diseases” even though it isn’t really a disease. Caused by microscopic bacteria or “bugs” that get it the skin and cause irritation. Not all that different from getting an ulcer in your mouth in spot where you bit your check. See it a lot in the spring and it does’t hurt the fish, or transfer to other fish. No need to worry there. Here is some info if you are interested.

https://wbefc.org/fish-disease/

OwlRNothing

Like most things.... no need to panic. Not common, but nothing to worry about. It think across the river has nailed it.

Latest posts