Dahlonega Ga. Questions

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Thinking about checking it out for a quick getaway. Wife wants to go somewhere & look at Christmas lights.
Anyone familiar?
Any advice/opinion would be appreciated - hotels, restaurants, etc.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
You could hit the light show at lake lanier islands. It's about an hour from Dahlonega. Crescent Moon bar is there ("little dive bar in Dahlonega")...always have some kind of music. You can also hit the GA Racing Museum in Dawsonville, 30 mins away.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Wife and me headed up in the morning for the weekend. Hope the front moves on thru, planning on being north bound about 7a.

4HAND

Staff member
Probably going up next week for a 1 night stay.
Wondering about a hotel downtown where we could walk around & see the lights.

Reactions: srb

sinclair1

Used to go to Big Canoe and always spent time in Dahlonega. Nice little town.

Duff

Dahlonega lights are always good. They just finished, I believe its a Holiday Inn Express, this past year. Brand new, just opened. You couldn’t be anymore “in the middle of the lights and town”

Last edited:

Duff

Oh, and Pueblos is a fantastic Mexican restaurant right next door. And Grapevines is great Italian, 1 block away. Highly recommend both

There is a fancy smancy winery that has really good food, or so I’m told. It’s about 10 minutes away. I believe a reservation is required. If you are interested in that, I’ll have to ask my wife the name

Last edited:

bilgerat

Senior
You could hit the light show at lake lanier islands. It's about an hour from Dahlonega. Crescent Moon bar is there ("little dive bar in Dahlonega")...always have some kind of music. You can also hit the GA Racing Museum in Dawsonville, 30 mins away.
Not a big light show at the islands any more, just a few lights around the beach area and a carnaval/christmas village also have a snow tubing hill thing for the kids

4HAND

Staff member
I looked at the Holiday Inn. We're also thinking about staying nearby, maybe Gainesville?

Unicoidawg

Staff member
I looked at the Holiday Inn. We're also thinking about staying nearby, maybe Gainesville?
I'd stay in Dahlonega or over in Helen before I'd stay in Gainesville. If you get over around Cleveland, try Clyde's on the square. Also, Big Daddy's and Cowboys and Angels in Helen are top notch. Montaluce is the winery that everyone goes nuts over, too rich for my blood.

4HAND

Staff member
10-4. We don't drink alkehawl, so won't be samplin any wine. :bounce: :bounce:

Geffellz18

Dahlonega pretty much just has the square lit up, but it’s nice. Travel over to Helen though- About 35 minutes from there and the whole town is lit up. Much more of an experience IMO.
There used to be a couple of really nice light displays on Hwy 52 headed out of Dahlonega towards Dawsonville-Private residences, but cannot confirm they still do them.
Here in Gainesville there are a few good spots like the square which also has some great dining options too, along with a walk through experience at Wilshire Trails by the lake. They even have the “Holly Jolly Trolley” that takes you around the town to the different light setups.
Cornelia also has a nice drive thru experience at one of their parks and their downtown area lit up.
Friday & Saturdays through this weekend in Cleveland there’s Lights on the Mountain that has a sleigh ride, live nativity scene & cookies and hot chocolate at Santas workshop. We plan to go to this this weekend ourselves. The local Northeast Georgia shopper also has a coupon for a free sleigh ride if you find one at a shop in town
My suggestion would be to stay in Gainesville & venture out from there. Dahlonega is about 25 minutes, Cleveland/Helen is 30-35 minutes & Cornelia is 25-30 minutes. All the cities are then about 30-35 minutes between each other too!
Could easily do Cornelia & Cleveland/Helen together of Dahlonega & Cleveland/Helen, etc and get a lot in within a short weekend.
Safe travels if you make it up this way and enjoy!

Last edited:

Duff

I'd stay in Dahlonega or over in Helen before I'd stay in Gainesville. If you get over around Cleveland, try Clyde's on the square. Also, Big Daddy's and Cowboys and Angels in Helen are top notch. Montaluce is the winery that everyone goes nuts over, too rich for my blood.

That’s it. And I agree

4hand, check on Amicalola Falls Lodge. Great hiking trails. It’s about 15-20 minutes from Dahlonega. Also, I believe some of the older big houses behind the square in Dahlonega have turned into B&B’s. Might check on those if you want to be within walking distance

Last edited:

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Went to a wedding recently and stayed at the Smith House in Dahlonega. H22 and I fell in love with the place. We will be back in the Spring. I would love to go during the Christmas season.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Lots of restaurants to choose from. We had lunch at Shenanigans and it was good food with a live band outside. We were going to try Bourbon street grille for brunch, but didn't get a chance.

Last edited: