Dahlonega Ga. Questions

Geffellz18

Man-All the hate for Gainesville up in here~ :huh:
I’ll admit my first time up here I wasn’t too geeked about it, but ended up moving here a few years later due to work moving me up here. In my 15 yrs here, I’ve grown to love the city and Area. They’ve done a tremendous job with beautification and infrastructure improvements through their Vision 2030 plan.
Sure, the south part of town can be a little dicey, but which towns Southside isn’t! I sure haven’t been to one that wasn’t!
It’s actually a great area overall. Just sayin’! :wink: ::ke:

Last edited:

Unicoidawg

Staff member
I’ll admit my first time up here I wasn’t too geeked about it, but ended up moving here a few years later due to work moving me up here. In my 15th s here, I’ve grown to love the city and Area. They’ve done a tremendous job with beautification and infrastructure improvements through their Vision 2030 plan.
Sure, the south part of town can be a little dicey, but which towns Southside isn’t! I sure haven’t been to one that wasn’t!
Lived here all my life and never have been a huge fan of Gainesville. I actually work there and I head north as fast as my shift ends. If someone is coming to North Georgia for a get away Gainesville is not what they are looking for. Too many people, too many move ins and too much traffic, basically North Atlanta. The area around there is fine, the town itself not so much.

Doug B.

I’ll admit my first time up here I wasn’t too geeked about it, but ended up moving here a few years later due to work moving me up here. In my 15 yrs here, I’ve grown to love the city and Area. They’ve done a tremendous job with beautification and infrastructure improvements through their Vision 2030 plan.
The only good thing in Gainesville is my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter. My daughter and her husband bought a house in Gainesville this past year. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't even go there. But I am a country boy born and raised in the mountains of Rabun County so it's hard to force a country boy into the city!

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gainesville is known for chickin processing and illegals last I heard. But ain't been there in years so it may have changed.

specialk

Blue Ridge is nice for Christmas....the train ride is awesome....

Geffellz18

If someone is coming to North Georgia for a get away Gainesville is not what they are looking for. Too many people, too many move ins and too much traffic, basically North Atlanta. The area around there is fine, the town itself not so much.
But I am a country boy born and raised in the mountains of Rabun County so it's hard to force a country boy into the city!
Can’t disagree with that-Not the actual destination that folks are looking for to get away, but a good hub IMO to branch out due to its close proximity to several “tourist” towns as mentioned in my OP. But that’s my style of vacationing. I like to experience as much as I can within reason when I visit any area, using a hub location to get the most out of my time away.
Compared to Clayton/Rabun Co. yeah it’s a metropolis for sure!
Different strokes I suppose.
To me though, Gainesville is a self sustained city that has everything you would ever need right here without the need to travel elsewhere-including one of the best rated health systems in the State and Nation, but small enough to still have a somewhat small town feel to it.
Sort of like Athens, but smaller!
I also live about 10 miles north of town towards Cleveland near Clermont, so I’m in a pretty rural area with many farms and undeveloped land-for now!
You both live in Gods country for sure, so hard to argue with that!

Doug B.

Can’t disagree with that-Not the actual destination that folks are looking for to get away, but a good hub IMO to branch out due to its close proximity to several “tourist” towns as mentioned in my OP. But that’s my style of vacationing. I like to experience as much as I can within reason when I visit any area, using a hub location to get the most out of my time away.
Compared to Clayton/Rabun Co. yeah it’s a metropolis for sure!
Different strokes I suppose.
To me though, Gainesville is a self sustained city that has everything you would ever need right here without the need to travel elsewhere-including one of the best rated health systems in the State and Nation, but small enough to still have a somewhat small town feel to it.
Sort of like Athens, but smaller!
I also live about 10 miles north of town towards Cleveland near Clermont, so I’m in a pretty rural area with many farms and undeveloped land-for now!
You both live in Gods country for sure, so hard to argue with that!
I certainly agree with that and there is an endless list of things to do in Gainesville which is why my daughter ended up there. I actually don't even like to go to Clayton so I may be some sort of recluse!

We actually try to stay in a "hub" area and branch out when vacationing. One time many years ago we booked a room for a week in Denver, Colorado and tried to do that. Big mistake! We were up at 4:00 am to drive for a couple of hours, try to see all we could, then drive back to the room sometimes close to midnight. Very tiring! Since then when we go to Colorado we stay closer to where we like and still travel to other places but it don't seem to be as much driving.

Like you said, to each his own. Just depends on personal preference. If I were coming up from Florida to vacation around Dahlonega I would stay closer to Dahlonega and branch out or Helen, or Blue Ridge, or Cleveland, or Blairsville, etc.

jbogg

We moved to Hall County two years ago, and I agree with you. The Gainesville Square has improved dramatically just in the last few years. Lots of nice little restaurants and breweries. Live music is common. For those that have not been in a while, you might be surprised.

Cool Hand Luke

Gainesville is known for chickin processing and illegals last I heard. But ain't been there in years so it may have changed.
It's no different than any other town. Known as the poultry capital of the universe so yes there will be immigrants but at least they willing to work and most are very respectful. Lived in the area for 25 years and never had a problem. Biggest problem up here is ATL coming this way at breakneck speed. Heck, 40 years ago Dekalb County was a good place to live...
I have 4 bad spypoint cams that need to be returned to academy, but I've been putting it off for 2 years just to avoid having to drive through Gainesville.
Go to the one in Snellville, it's much better :bounce:

scottfrmga

Went to a wedding recently and stayed at the Smith House in Dahlonega. H22 and I fell in love with the place. We will be back in the Spring. I would love to go during the Christmas season.
Smith house is a great destination for lunch. A Lot like the Dillard house but better food.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
To answer your question 4Hand, Dahlonega is nice but IMO there are more places to stay and more to do in Helen.
Helen wasn't changed since I was a youngun. Not my cup of tea.
Smith house is a great destination for lunch. A Lot like the Dillard house but better food.
H22's dad ate and said he he enjoyed it. We didn't eat there while there.

Cool Hand Luke

Helen wasn't changed since I was a youngun. Not my cup of tea.

H22's dad ate and said he he enjoyed it. We didn't eat there while there.
I was just thinking about the Christmas lights 4hand wants to see. In Dahlonega it's pretty much just the square, in Helen, it's the whole strip. Why not do both? They're really not that far apart. :)

Geffellz18

I was just thinking about the Christmas lights 4hand wants to see. In Dahlonega it's pretty much just the square, in Helen, it's the whole strip. Why not do both? They're really not that far apart. :)
Yep-Just as I had also suggested. Helen’s whole town is lit up, including the back road where the Festhall is…If checking out Christmas Lights is the goal, it’s far superior.
My brother and his family came up for Thanksgiving. First time for him in about 12-13 yrs and first as a family as his girls are like 5 & 3….We took them on our annual Dahlonega/Helen light experience. We always go to Dahlonega first, get our nickel coffee at the general store and walk the square, stopping at the fudge shop and Paul Thomas chocolates for some sweets…Always an very enjoyable time, but can be experienced in its entirety in about an hour.
We then drive over to Helen and just drive through to look at the lights. Don’t typically stop and walk around though since it’s pretty late by then.
When we got back to the house, the first thing my brother said was, “man we should have went to the Helen town first…I didn’t recall it being a German themed town and the lights were awesome!”
He’s not wrong!
Think they were rated as one of the top spots to visit for Christmas in the Nation a few years back too.
If coming up here for a really short trip, both can be done easily in one evening without rushing. The towns are about 35 minutes from each other.

Last edited:

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
@4HAND If you come up this way there are two places that have been featured on TV. The Goffs in Canon and Lunsford Farm Bowman address I think. You should be able to find something about them on the internet to see if it should interest you.

@leroy @gacowboy @Howard Roark might could shed more light on the places

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Don't look like either took, they both have a FB page

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Thank y'all for all the input. Still not sure where we're going. It's looking like we may only have time for an overnight trip, so we may try to range closer to home.