Deer pressure on sunflowers

I planted some sunflowers last year for the first time and had very little deer browse. This year is a different story. They were planted on the last Saturday in April and most of them have 4-6 leaves on them. When do deer start to leave them alone? The Milorganite is holding them off right now.

The deer mowed down all of mine as soon as it sprouted last year, and walked past a bunch of other stuff to get to them.
It’s a losing battle. I’ll be lucky to have a few make it to dove season. I think next year I’ll try some Benne. I don’t know much about it, but the old timers swear by it.

spring

Depending on the size of your field or patch, putting a deer fence around it is not that difficult. I put one up around the corn I plant in the duck pond that I flood each October; works well. We take the fence down once we flood it and save it for the next spring.
The total fenced in area is about 4 acres.

Depending on the size of your field or patch, putting a deer fence around it is not that difficult. I put one up around the corn I plant in the duck pond that I flood each October; works well. We take the fence down once we flood it and save it for the next spring.
The total fenced in area is about 4 acres.
Electric fence or scent tape fence?

grif

Two strands of high tensile electric works for us around 4 acres. No sunflowers or peas before that. Great results after. Just take it loose and drop it on the ground until next season.