Did you reload anything today #4

Liberty

I worked up a 62 .224 Controlled Chaos load for a 20 inch upper cause it was dirty and propped up on the wood insert from my Shooter’s World powder experiment, and the progressive set for .223. I his a max load of Tac eventually shooting almost to the same point of aim as my TAC match load. I know they kill deer graveyard dead from watching my son shoot one broadside, but I would never forgive myself having to pass on a hard raking shot on a nice buck with an 06 sitting at the house!

deerslayer357

Trimmed/chamfered/deburred some 3X fired 300 WM brass. Planning to load it one more time then retire it to the scrap bucket.

Which brings up the question- how many loadings do you load belted magnum brass?
I have read 3x-4x, and others say more. Don’t want to waste good brass but also don’t want a case head separation!

Last edited:

Liberty

Trimmed/chamfered/deburred some 3X fired 300 WM brass. Planning to load it one more time then retire it to the scrap bucket.

Which brings up the question- how many loadings do you load belted magnum brass?
I have read 3x-4x, and others say more. Don’t want to waste good brass but also don’t want a case head separation!
0AF954BF-4C45-4F3C-BB40-F48A6B7E3E97.jpeg

You can get several firings with this method/die. I’ve used one for several years.

Darkhorse

Interesting concept, This from a guy with 2 belted magnum cartridges.

I'm not sure even after loading belted cases since 1980 but when I reach the third loading I check thoses cases with a sharpened, bent paper clip. If I feel any sign of a stretched case then I toss that case.
But to be safe you really need to know your rifle. Some have more headspace and can cause imminent case head separation on the 2nd loading. Years ago a co worker brought me bag full of once fired 7mm magnum cases. Upon casual examination I noticed what seemed to be a crack just above the belt. Over half of these cases could be broken with a slight tap. All had a definite separation ring inside. All went in the trash.

menhadenman

What type of brass, how hot your load is, and annealing all plays into the equation too. I use Peterson brass for some spicy loads in my belted 7 RM, have some with 5-6 firings on them (annealed by hand once). I’ve heard you can get 10+ loads from their stuff.

deerslayer357

What type of brass, how hot your load is, and annealing all plays into the equation too. I use Peterson brass for some spicy loads in my belted 7 RM, have some with 5-6 firings on them (annealed by hand once). I’ve heard you can get 10+ loads from their stuff.
This particular batch is Hornady brass- the next batch is Nosler, and I am looking at switching to Peterson possibly after the Nosler. Picked up a box of the Peterson and really like the looks of it- but haven’t loaded any yet.

The loads are 1.1 grains less than max per Barnes, but average 34 FPS faster than max load data.

I have not annealed at this time.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Thanks again! Picked up a flat of the Estate shells I always liked. 12ga 1oz that run about 1235fps. Had to settle for 7.5 instead of 8s...not real sure I can tell the difference in 60ish pellets. We will see if my buddy picks me up a flat of something tomorrow and these should be here by the end of the week. Might not have a good reason not to go shoot now. Shoulda picked up some 28s too.

Liberty

Interesting concept, This from a guy with 2 belted magnum cartridges.

I'm not sure even after loading belted cases since 1980 but when I reach the third loading I check thoses cases with a sharpened, bent paper clip. If I feel any sign of a stretched case then I toss that case.
But to be safe you really need to know your rifle. Some have more headspace and can cause imminent case head separation on the 2nd loading. Years ago a co worker brought me bag full of once fired 7mm magnum cases. Upon casual examination I noticed what seemed to be a crack just above the belt. Over half of these cases could be broken with a slight tap. All had a definite separation ring inside. All went in the trash.
The die works wonderfully. You neck size the case, and reside the body down about 2 to 3 thousandths of an inch. Trimming is rarely required after the first firing, and I’ve yet to have an issue chambering the rounds because the body doesn’t seem to “grow”.

menhadenman

The die works wonderfully. You neck size the case, and reside the body down about 2 to 3 thousandths of an inch. Trimming is rarely required after the first firing, and I’ve yet to have an issue chambering the rounds because the body doesn’t seem to “grow”.
You're gonna make me buy one now

menhadenman

Loaded up 41 rounds of 45/70 tonight. Used a 300gr Hornady Interlock over 56grs of H4895. This load will shoot cloverleafs at 100 yards out of my CVA Scout. Does a goodly amount of damage to deer too.
How fast is that one moving you think? I clocked mine in at just under 2,000 fps (CVA scout also) with 300 gr Siearra hunters. Pretty accurate but I was thinking about juicing it up just a little more to find the next node. Feels like I'm way under max.

Reactions: Dub

GregoryB.

How fast is that one moving you think? I clocked mine in at just under 2,000 fps (CVA scout also) with 300 gr Siearra hunters. Pretty accurate but I was thinking about juicing it up just a little more to find the next node. Feels like I'm way under max.
Not sure about the speed. If and when I finish the rental property remodel I will run it through the chronograph. Case was getting full after dropping in the powder just by looking down in it. It shoots good with that recipe. No noticeable issues. That was the starting load from an older Lyman manual that came with my press.

rosewood

I looked into that belted magnum sizer a few years back. He wants way more than I thought it was worth. I picked up a 7mm STW Lee die set on clearance at BPS. I cut the top off the die and ground down the bottom until it would size all the way to the belt. I have used it to get any belted magnums back in order and it has worked beautifully. Cost me about $10 and some wear on an angle grinder cutoff wheel. :)

Rosewood