Did you Reload anything today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimrod71

Since deer season is winding down I am back at the press again. Today I loaded twenty 308's for my target rifle. I have gotten where I really enjoy shooting paper. Get to shoot more and it's not as hard to load up as when deer hunting. The days loads were 10 rounds of Hornady 168 Match over 42.5 gr. IMR 4064 and 10 rounds of Sierra 168 Match King over 42.5 gr. IMR 4064. It has been a while since I loaded any of the Honady and I had forgotten they were longer than the Sierra. I plan on heading over to the rifle range this afternoon and trying them out.

chase870

Possum Sox
In most cases you can bump shoulders back well under SAAMI spec from my experience. I don’t use a wide verity of dies and all of my rifle dies are in one of the green colors. I have seen them go to -.004 easily and that is what most factory or field ammo is.
Well I hope that when I get my improperly lubed cases out of the dies that came out of the green box and use the proper lube I can get a case sized. So now I have dies in green red and black boxes, just got a set in the black box today to see if they will work any better. Sooner or later I'm gonna get it done

Jester896

Senior Clown
I don't have a set of .220 Swift Dies.

Finished up about 250 Nickel 9mm cases and got them cleaned.
While I was sizing about 240 Nickel .45ACP cases getting them ready to clean.
IMG_0748.jpg

I uncovered a cold cut tub with another handful of Nickel 9mm I guess Im not through with nickle 9s after all.

Grab come turkey chili and get back after it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
IMG_0749.jpg
I knew I didn't want to compress the load in the 6.5WSM.
I used the collet for my Hornady bullet puller I recently picked up and pulled these bullets. Other than the damage from compressing them they came out pretty unscathed with the exception of one...and that damage was when it went in the case not out. I had to dig the US869 out of the bottom of the cases. The first little bit poured out but the last I had to dig out and pop the neck on the anvil and used compressed air and I am still not certain I got it all out. From the looks of it I think it may have pooched out the center of the primer a little. I still think I am going to knock the primers out and run the cases in cob to make sure all the powder is out. Didn't want to have to lose the primers too.
But they are out
IMG_0750.jpg

Primed the .243 I had cleaned up and set the box of 80gr TTSX on the table. Think I will use H100V but Superformance gives some stronger velocity. My .260 love the 127gr LRX with that powder so I might give it a try here too.

IMG_0751.jpg
that should be a good starting ladder

Took a few minutes to check the scope we set up by eye on the .22-250...looks like we are level/level there.

Tomorrow I plan on trying to figure out what the change over to Lapuua brass for it is going to do. I will try to get water capacities on both cases to see how they compare and where to go from there.

Last edited:

SC Hunter

@Jester896 that 6.5 wsm just makes me go ?. I said after I got my Bergara in 6.5 creedmoor I wasn't going to buy another deer rifle for a while. I loved my 300 wsm and love the 6.5 projectiles so I think I'd love a 6.5 wsm. ?‍♂️

I got 500 .264 projectiles in the mail yesterday and have 500 6.5 needmoor cases I bought cheap from a guy that I'm going to drop off on Shiloh this weekend maybe. I may pick Steve's brain on that 6.5 wsm.

Jester896

Senior Clown
@SC Hunter are you saying I need to run up and help him load your cases ;)

If you aren't going to need something to shoot deer @ 6 or700 yards I wouldn't get one but that's just me.

Last edited:

chase870

Possum Sox
I don't have a set of .220 Swift Dies.

Will the lack of improper lube i.e. not enough cause me to not get shoulder bump? I know too much cause's dents in the shoulder at least with the spray lube. I got cocky with the wax and was sizing 220 cases to 22-250 shoulder bump when I put the wrong die in the press. I must have backed off on the amount of lube today and stuck another shell case this time in a Lyman die. Add insult to injury I think I failed at the stuck case remover trick as well. I'm going to guess after todays disaster I should have asked for a more detailed step by step instruction on this procedure to remove the stuck case. I'm going to take a guess, hold die in a vise under a drill press to insure a clean uniform hole to tap the case?

Jester896

Senior Clown
Will the lack of improper lube i.e. not enough cause me to not get shoulder bump? I know too much cause's dents in the shoulder at least with the spray lube.
correct...to much lube will dimple the shoulders
I'm going to take a guess, hold die in a vise under a drill press to insure a clean uniform hole to tap the case?

You failed at getting the other cases out?
#1 back expander ball all the way up in the die.. you still may damage the decapping pin if not careful

#2 the #7 drill bit will almost guide itself down the primer cup... but you can put it in a vise or the vise on your press and drill it.

#3 tap the hole 1/4X20

#4 insert a grade 8 bolt about 1-11/2 " long (it needs to go through the socket and engage all the threads you tapped) through a thick washer and a small washer under the bolt head then through the socket (the socket 1/2 or 9/16 can't touch the case head. the case head has to go inside the socket when you tighten the bolt) You can clamp the die in the vise again. Slow and smooth will pop it out. The case is tapered so it will not take much to get it to move and out.

It is more important with your new wax to get it on the bottom of the case about where you see it stuck rather than the shoulders. I usually work my fingers up from the bottom up

Last edited:

Steven037

Picked up 100 new Lapua.308 cases. Sure look good. First time trying Lapua. Do they require the normal prep before first loading or just load and shoot. They look perfect right out of the box.

ky55

Picked up 100 new Lapua.308 cases. Sure look good. First time trying Lapua. Do they require the normal prep before first loading or just load and shoot. They look perfect right out of the box.

Great brass!!

5FE9135A-E149-4B97-AF72-3DB354C84740.jpeg

ky55

Sweet stash (y)(y)(y)

Is the chain for a Cujo to keep them well guarded ??

:LOL:
No, the rifles they fit are guarding them!
(y)(y)

Reactions: Dub

deerslayer357

Not sure that it really counts but my 4 year old daughter and I loaded 6 45acp’s tonight. She thought it was cool and wanted to load some, and how do you say no to that!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Folks, running these threads over 1,000 posts gums up the machinery back here. I’m going to lock this one and start you a new one. Please start a new one when post reach 1,000 and I’ll swing by and lock the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.