Did you shoot anything today #2

Dub

Were you able to get some range time…..plinking time…..or a successful hunt ???

Tell us about it. (y)

deerslayer357

Slipped off to the range for a few minutes this afternoon and practiced at 50 with the Blackhawk 41 mag. Really just trying to keep myself tuned up and killing time until deer season!

Reactions: Dub

menhadenman

Got that brand new T3X CTR (308, 20” bbl) out to the range. Really impressed!

Found some unused SWFW rings and mounted a 12x fixed SWFA from another rifle. Brake cleaner, blue loktite all around, 20 lbs torque on scope rings, maybe 40 on pic rail.

Bore sight old school… pulled the bolt and eyeballed the white target at 100 yds through the barrel. Cheap bipod and rear bag, had to come down about 5 mil and over a 1 or so.

A couple runs of a bore snake with WD-40 and she was ready.

5DA636D5-93D1-4E55-8E9F-469953241A54.jpeg

Two boxes of factory ammo, Norma deal from PSA (really nice stuff!) and box of the blue federal.

5A99B18A-FAB7-47C3-BA53-24D17C1C0AE4.jpeg

Loaded five Norma, first shot was off the paper. Walked up to the target to confirm location (maybe 12” off and 3” low) then shot again to confirm it was the right hole. Adjusted and shot the three round group on bottom middle bull. Made one more tweak and shot the 5 round group to the left of that. All smiles from me! Especially since I’ve got 10 boxes of that Norma. Then I put 5 Federals on the top middle. Not as good but still minute of animal.

5C2B2F8D-1B90-45D6-966B-771CC6D98977.jpeg

Cranked all 15 shots about as quick as I could. Didn’t do my normal “break in” which I normally do. Even if it is considered by many to be a waste of time, I actually like wasting my time at the gun range. But got football opener for my boy today so had to be back.

This is my second Tikka and the fanboys are all telling the truth. I’m a believer.

menhadenman

Also cranked about 60 rounds through my 7 mag ?? - testing primers and brass, will report back to reloading gurus.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Got that brand new T3X CTR (308, 20” bbl) out to the range. Really impressed!

Found some unused SWFW rings and mounted a 12x fixed SWFA from another rifle. Brake cleaner, blue loktite all around, 20 lbs torque on scope rings, maybe 40 on pic rail.

Bore sight old school… pulled the bolt and eyeballed the white target at 100 yds through the barrel. Cheap bipod and rear bag, had to come down about 5 mil and over a 1 or so.

A couple runs of a bore snake with WD-40 and she was ready.

View attachment 1169590

Two boxes of factory ammo, Norma deal from PSA (really nice stuff!) and box of the blue federal.

View attachment 1169591

Loaded five Norma, first shot was off the paper. Walked up to the target to confirm location (maybe 12” off and 3” low) then shot again to confirm it was the right hole. Adjusted and shot the three round group on bottom middle bull. Made one more tweak and shot the 5 round group to the left of that. All smiles from me! Especially since I’ve got 10 boxes of that Norma. Then I put 5 Federals on the top middle. Not as good but still minute of animal.

View attachment 1169592

Cranked all 15 shots about as quick as I could. Didn’t do my normal “break in” which I normally do. Even if it is considered by many to be a waste of time, I actually like wasting my time at the gun range. But got football opener for my boy today so had to be back.

This is my second Tikka and the fanboys are all telling the truth. I’m a believer.

Awesome.

Look at that 5-shot group.....shot with factory hunting ammo. Excellent :rockon:

Oh yeah.....of all the things I miss from my youth.....the two-a-day football practices beginning on August 1st are NOT missed. At all.

It was fun, though, getting to do the bull-in-the-ring drills at the end of practice. Contact was always fun. The Friday night games are missed, too. Great times.

Those early August conditioning practices, though....whew...getting tired just thinking about them. :rofl:

EDIT: cellphone typos

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
I made a road trip yesterday. Had a real big time. Sorry I was 30+ minutes late. We shot a little then BriarPatch99 burnt some stuff on the grill. His dear wife tabled up a feast for us...just sayin...this fat kid likes cake....she had some of the best Pound Cake I've eaten in a minute. He and I pick some Butta-Beans outta his garden before I left and by the time I got home and shelled and blanched them it was a little late post this..I wuz one tired puppy.

The first one I broke out was my new Dasher. I thought I was going to have to wipe it down when they were done.;)...in fact we had to run to the shop and clean the bolt that fell out of the case and into the dirt. Glad he had some carb cleaner and an air hose close. I loaded some up + .1 & .2 from the last ones and it did take out the vertical from last time. I think the +.2 is the ticket.

I warmed it up for them with this...that Caldwell rest is nice but it doesn't come close to my buddy's joy stick. I think I can shoot better than this showing

IMG_1086.jpg

@BriarPatch99 showed out a little with it.

IMG_1085.jpg

Even that shakey old @Geezer Ray showed out

IMG_1084.jpg

Not real sure where the .22-250 target is but with the new Lapua cases I think I can back the load back .2...still a dime size group but primary extraction is a little sticky. That may be just an RR action thing or it may need to be sent off to be retimed. Since I didn't notice it with the previous load I am hoping it is the load.

All the rest of the stuff I brought had some kind issue or just flat out didn't work. We aere able to get some good speed readings with Geezer Ray's chrono.

We shot a few more rifles after lunch and moved to pistols when the sun came over the trees and heated up the shooting bench.

BriarPatch99 has a nice range...that chair is something else
A Big time was had by all

Jester896

Senior Clown
Yall watch Jester now, that joker will sandbag till you get money on the table.

index.jpg
I'll tell you this... @Geezer Ray is a good Spotter...he was able to dial me in @ 100 yards with a 6X scope to be able to hit the staple holding the targets. :D

I found that .22-250 and .243 test target. I want y'all to notice the size of the dot these 2 put on my target...they had 1" and 1.5" dots on theirs...I felt like an outcast

It looks like I was right...other than the CCB high round a dime would cover them all. Those .243 rounds seemed a little hot with the 80gr TTSX. 46.5gr of Hunter averaged 3195 with no grouping to speak of and the 47gr averaged 3273...big jump. The primers were pretty flat and beginning to suck in the pin hole a touch...one may have even smoke around the primer. I didn't shoot the 47.5gr, 48.5C is the max load

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

that should be minute of coyote...now to try some 62gr GameKings for some deer

BriarPatch99

View attachment 1169885
I'll tell you this... @Geezer Ray is a good Spotter...he was able to dial me in @ 100 yards with a 6X scope to be able to hit the staple holding the targets. :D

I found that .22-250 and .243 test target. I want y'all to notice the size of the dot these 2 put on my target...they had 1" and 1.5" dots on theirs...I felt like an outcast

It looks like I was right...other than the CCB high round a dime would cover them all. Those .243 rounds seemed a little hot with the 80gr TTSX. 46.5gr of Hunter averaged 3195 with no grouping to speak of and the 47gr averaged 3273...big jump. The primers were pretty flat and beginning to suck in the pin hole a touch...one may have even smoke around the primer. I didn't shoot the 47.5gr, 48.5C is the max load

View attachment 1169886

View attachment 1169887

that should be minute of coyote...now to try some 62gr GameKings for some deer

Those "big" dots were 3/4" and yeah Jesters dot was 1/2" ...if he hadn't pulled out that "Jester" hat ....I would have put all 3/4" dots .....but after the hat ...I just had stick the 1/2 ...?

The .22-250 was doing well group wise ....just a little warm and sticky in chamber...

The Dasher is a slick rifle .... I made sure to put finger prints all over it ....hope the law didn't get you .... I could see the headline ..." White Trump supporter loaded with a large arsenal of weapons crosses pathes with Albany PoPo Sat. two others identified by finger prints" ....?

menhadenman

I made a road trip yesterday. Had a real big time. Sorry I was 30+ minutes late. We shot a little then BriarPatch99 burnt some stuff on the grill. His dear wife tabled up a feast for us...just sayin...this fat kid likes cake....she had some of the best Pound Cake I've eaten in a minute. He and I pick some Butta-Beans outta his garden before I left and by the time I got home and shelled and blanched them it was a little late post this..I wuz one tired puppy.

The first one I broke out was my new Dasher. I thought I was going to have to wipe it down when they were done.;)...in fact we had to run to the shop and clean the bolt that fell out of the case and into the dirt. Glad he had some carb cleaner and an air hose close. I loaded some up + .1 & .2 from the last ones and it did take out the vertical from last time. I think the +.2 is the ticket.

I warmed it up for them with this...that Caldwell rest is nice but it doesn't come close to my buddy's joy stick. I think I can shoot better than this showing

View attachment 1169826

@BriarPatch99 showed out a little with it.

View attachment 1169828

Even that shakey old @Geezer Ray showed out

View attachment 1169834

Not real sure where the .22-250 target is but with the new Lapua cases I think I can back the load back .2...still a dime size group but primary extraction is a little sticky. That may be just an RR action thing or it may need to be sent off to be retimed. Since I didn't notice it with the previous load I am hoping it is the load.

All the rest of the stuff I brought had some kind issue or just flat out didn't work. We aere able to get some good speed readings with Geezer Ray's chrono.

We shot a few more rifles after lunch and moved to pistols when the sun came over the trees and heated up the shooting bench.

BriarPatch99 has a nice range...that chair is something else
A Big time was had by all

Dang @Jester896 the boys musta got in your head… I’m not used to seeing more than a clover leaf from you? Sounds like a great time - wish I was closer so I could come take notes. Nice outing!

Jester896

Senior Clown
Dang @Jester896 the boys musta got in your head… I’m not used to seeing more than a clover leaf from you? Sounds like a great time - wish I was closer so I could come take notes. Nice outing!

if they were in there...I didn't notice...should of heard an echo of some type:cool:
I did struggle a little with the bench...all was kinda new to me. At one point I was shooting the staples that hold the targets to the backer :huh:

Thanks! for the kind words

Dub

You got know how to get in a fellows head !!!

No ....I just got lucky with the Dasher ... my luck didn't carry over to any thing ... maybe the High Standard ...

Eating red beans and rice the night before will...fo sure...provide some perfectly timed noisemaking on the range the next day.

That, alone, will get you in their heads.

Shooting tight groups with their rifle will get ya a spot rent free in their noggins for a while. :rofl:

Y'all had a great time.

Great stuff, gentlemen. (y)(y)(y)