DIY Taxes

trial&error

I have used turbo tax, but mostly for when I itemized. Standard deductible is so high now I don't really need it. Returns are faster with it. If you didn't buy a high enough version for your needs you can still go fill in the single line items you need to. We had rental income I had forgotten about one year and bought a basic.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
I used TurboTax for years. I now pay a cpa to do my return with no pressure or headache. I will never do mine again.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I used TurboTax for years. I now pay a cpa to do my return with no pressure or headache. I will never do mine again.
The same CPA has done mine for 25 years or more. As far as I am concerned it the best money I spend.
With stock transactions, rental income, interest income, Trust accounts, etc. and my diminished mental acuity it is worth it for peace of mind

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’m about to do mine again and it’s just z so turbo tax works great…..gotta be careful not to click m the upgrades.

ucfireman

I did HR Block for the past 3 years. 25 for Federal and 37 for state. 62 dollars total.
I don't know if its a good deal or not, I used to pay a guy 200 but mine is simpler now.
I am getting a refund from both.
I figure its as safe as any other and they import my taxes from last year. And figure it may be less likely to be audited.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Most everyone that gets put in prison for tax evasion had a CPA do their taxes. Problem is that they lied to the CPA. LOL

Which proves the point like other professions not every CPA is a good one.

I use Intuit Pro Series which is the beefed up professional version of Turbo Tax. If you're going to DIY Turbo Tax is pretty good tax return software. Provided you got a clue about what you are doing.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Which proves the point like other professions not every CPA is a good one.

I use Intuit Pro Series which is the beefed up professional version of Turbo Tax. If you're going to DIY Turbo Tax is pretty good tax return software. Provided you got a clue about what you are doing.
Mine has gotten so simple I just can’t justify paying someone anymore.

No mortgage = no interest. Property taxes aren’t enough to exceed the standard deduction. Kids grown - no dependents / schooling.

Nothing but add all income up and cry.

natureman

I have used H&R Block software for the past 7 years. It was 35 dollars for 2022. It is pretty foolproof for most returns and imports data from the previous year. Filed electronically and got the federal refund yesterday.

Oldstick

Mine has gotten so simple I just can’t justify paying someone anymore.

No mortgage = no interest. Property taxes aren’t enough to exceed the standard deduction. Kids grown - no dependents / schooling.

Nothing but add all income up and cry.
Yep, me too. Just one income. Standard deduction is way higher which is actually a good thing if you already own your home and and are not super rich otherwise. Just file the income and claim your refund if any.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Yep, me too. Just one income. Standard deduction is way higher which is actually a good thing if you already own your home and and are not super rich otherwise. Just file the income and claim your refund if any.
I have my wife’s income, too, which is sort of a waste unless we give it all to charity so we can get into the 12% bracket.

Oldstick

I have my wife’s income, too, which is sort of a waste unless we give it all to charity so we can get into the 12% bracket.
I could only wish. Maybe there will someday be a big tax deduction for "one income earner with spouse/qualified family members making expenditures not necessary for basic survival".

That probably would put me down near the zero line as far as taxes.