DNR requests legalization of minnow traps- now legal to use

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
This bill will be voted on Monday.

So Monday is the day.

To pass the House, yes. It still has to pass the Senate Natural Resources committee and be voted/passed in the Senate unchanged to go before the Governor for signature into law.

lampern

To pass the House, yes. It still has to pass the Senate Natural Resources committee and be voted/passed in the Senate unchanged to go before the Governor for signature into law.

My mistake.

Just noticed that. So long ways to go.

Last edited:

lampern

Passed 49-0 today.

I guess once the governor signs it and we can use minnow traps?

Also changes the law on using minnow seines

Last edited:

lampern

"(a) It shall be unlawful to fish for game fish, except American shad, hickory shad,
flathead catfish, and channel catfish, by any means other than a pole and line. Except as otherwise provided, it shall be unlawful to take any fish in the fresh waters of this state by any method other than a pole and line, sport trotlines in accordance with Code Section 27-4-32, set hooks, jugs, bow and arrow in accordance with Code Section 27-4-34, spears in accordance with Code Section 27-4-33, minnow seines and minnow traps in accordance with Code Section 27-4-6, by hand in accordance with Code Section 27-4-37, and as authorized in Code Section 27-4-91 with regard to commercial fresh-water fishing."

"27-4-6.
It shall be unlawful to take any game fish or American eels by minnow seines or minnow traps from the fresh waters of this state. It shall also be unlawful to take any nongame fish by minnow seines or minnow traps from any of the fresh waters of this state, except where such fish are five inches in length or less and are not to be sold or otherwise used for commercial purposes and except where such waters are not trout waters as designated pursuant to Code Section 27-4-51. It shall further be unlawful for any person to engage in the use of minnow seines or minnow traps to collect nongame fish in the fresh waters of this state without a valid resident or nonresident fishing license as provided in Code Section 27-2-23. In accordance with sound principles of wildlife research and management, the department shall have the authority to specify open seasons, creel and possession limits, gear specifications, species taken, and waters open to the use of minnow seines and minnow traps in accordance with this title."

Beagler

never knew we couldn’t to begin with, i guess now i’ll be legal.?? ive used mine all over, nobody ever said a word including DNR.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I stopped by and started reading the information about the minnow trap new legislation just out of curiosity.

I remember that my Father had one of these way back in the 1950's and it caught a "truckload" of minnows etc over the years as my Father and his close friends would put out trotlines and also "bush-hooks" on the tree limbs back in those years. They surely caught a bunch of huge catfish that ultimately were used in the neighborhood fish fry's many times. I still remember well the times of paddling that old "really heavy wooden" boat and taking the fish off of the hooks as it was commonly done that way back then.

I remember that the trap was made from galvanized wire and it lasted forever as we had to be very careful with it and not bend or crush the wire etc. We had a creek located only about 100 yards behind our house back in those days and we frequently used it to catch minnows and bream. My Father guarded that trap like it was gold when my family was growing up.

Now, my question to all of you posters on this thread, after viewing and reading the information in this thread, I see that THIS TRAP SHOWN IN POST #15 WOULD NEVER CATCH ANY MINNOWS HERE IN GEORGIA.....because I see that thing is manufactured in Fillmore, New York which is about 30-40 miles east of LAKE ERIE. What does those NEW YORKERS know about southern fishing with minnows !!!!

Sorry, but I couldn't cut my computer off without sharing those details. :rofl::rofl::pop:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Dang i sho was hoping dat didn’t pass. I don’t want or needs no competition fo dem minners.