Do any gun stores you know do this?

Robert28

I saw a sign at my local ACE hardware at the gun counter today that said “no cell phone pics”. I asked the guy behind the counter what it meant and he said people were doing straw purchases that way nowadays, someone goes in and takes pics of the inventory with their cell phone and sends the pics to the criminal and they tell them what to buy for them. They’ve even had pics if their inventory be sent to guys IN prison who had cell phones smuggled in. Apparently it’s becoming a thing because he said a lot of stores were following this new rule now.

• Wow
Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
my LGS just asks them to look right here...that way his video system can the the best image of them...right before he tells them to stop videoing or taking picture.

FlipKing

Understandable. At most I'm sending a pic go my buddy of a cool sbr or maybe a nice 2011. Not the whole store.

GunnSmokeer

Taking Photos of a gun that you're considering buying as a gift for somebody else may be a good idea if it's not a surprise gift and you want to get that gift recipient's approval. To be sure that they like the look of this gun before you commit to purchasing it.

GIFTING a gun you just purchased is legal. ATF and everybody who knows federal law says so. (It is not a straw purchase to Buy a gun that you've already decided to immediately give away as a gift, if it is a true gift and the recipient is not going to pay for it or otherwise compensate you for it.)

GunnSmokeer

QOUTE:
"As long as the recipient is lawfully allowed to possess a firearm, ATF and the US Supreme Court have repeatedly stated that guns may be purchased and given as gifts. The ATF even explains this process on their firearms transaction record (also known as a form 4473), specifically in question 11a. The form explains that a firearm purchased legitimately as a bona fide gift to a third person does not violate the law."

krizia829

As a former firearm sales associate, I can say it would likely be to avoid straw purchases. Lots of women, for example, go to buy a gun, pretend they are new to shooting and look at a few before landing on the actual gun they intend to buy for someone else that can't. We can tell right away when something isn't right. I had to turn down a few straw purchases myself.

I had a teacher once who got denied her background check for whatever reason. Was there with her parents. About 2 hours later, I see her dad at the counter getting ready to buy the same gun. I had to alert my co-worker who had no idea and they had to deny the sale. A TEACHER!!

Also, I worked at Bass Pro where we were connected to the mall. LOTS of tourists from countries where firearms are forbidden so people would take photos all the time whether holding them, or just behind the counter on the racks. AR's are a hit still to this day lol

Many customers would FaceTime family in other countries showing the guns as well. BUT, in my opinion, I think it's a Miami thing. I doubt they do that out in the country or in any place in GA in general..

specialk

people walk around 24hrs a day with their phones on speaker or face timing, never bringing the phone to the ear....you cant tell if they are taking pics or not....

BeerThirty

Meh, it wouldn't bother me that much. I rarely buy firearms at brick-n-mortar stores anyway these days. But the business owner has every right to make this request and I support that.

rosewood

I take pics, then send to friend so he can come and buy itself if he wants. Never had anyone question me.

Rosewood

fauxferret

I think it really matters more on the stores location. Being in a college town we don't mind it too much. The red flags for us are those with ear buds in or facetiming. We have cameras both obvious and covert for these very purposes. Chances are for the one camera you're avoiding we got you on several others and likely the vehicle you came in. We've had several attempts but weathered them well. I think FFLs need to consider their physical security more than anything else. Simple details can get you in a sling real quick. The biggest problem we have is people smoking before coming into the store. We promptly tell them to leave, they don't even try to hide it.

JR924

Why not just write down info on the gun and pull up an internet picture to send or look at it. Takes a little more time. That is what I do.

Robert28

Update: remember the store I made this thread about? They got robbed Wednesday night. 4 men broke into the place and made off with 20 “long guns” according to the police. From the pics they posted it was a group of thugs. Guess they knew what they were doing with this rule but it still didn’t save them. The thieves knew exactly where to go and get what they wanted, so the place had been scoped out before I’m guessing

Latest posts