Do You Always Salt Your Food

Redbow

Once it is on your table and on your plate in your home or in a restaurant ? I know many people who do. They somehow seem to think no matter how their food is seasoned more salt needs to be applied before they eat it. My Mom and Stepdad were that way, so were my Grandparents and their children and most of their grandchildren. My Mom taught her two grand daughters to do so as well. Even before they taste their food they apply salt. I have seen my FIL cook scrambled eggs then when he put them on his plate he turned the top of his eggs white with salt. I honestly don't know how he could eat them that way.

I do not and have never added salt to my food after I get it on my plate, either here at my house, at anyone else's house or in a restaurant. I never acquired the habit of doing so. Most of the older generations that I was raised up with had to have more salt on their food before eating it. My Mom also taught my sister to add salt to her food before eating it, somehow Mom slipped up with teaching me on that one.

I am not saying by any means that it is harmful to add more salt to your food after you put it on your plate. I have had doctors tell me not to do so because I have high blood pressure and have been taking medication for it over many years. Some people just seem to crave salt and I know that when I was growing up we salted down our meat on the farm to preserve it and we ate lots of fat back. So I ate plenty of salt in my young life but I try not to today. My Mom had high blood pressure and diabetes, so did the other five of her siblings. Many of my cousins over the years have come down with either high blood pressure or diabetes as well. Most of my family has passed on now I have only one Uncle left and he lives in Florida. I have no idea if salt had anything to do with their medical conditions.

I read about a man years ago that employed about one hundred people to help him run his business. Once a person applied for employment with his company he would take that person out to dinner if he was seriously considering hiring she or he. If that person applied salt to his or her food after their order made it to the table he would not hire them. What the man's reasoning behind that issue was I do not know and the article did not say. I guess the man would have hired me, maybe.

I guess we all eat quite a bit more salt than our bodies really need.

WaltL1

I was one of those people who added salt to everything without even tasting it first.
Yup got high blood pressure and diabetes. Doctor told me cut out the salt so I did.
After about 2 weeks didnt miss it, didnt even think about wanting to add it. So it was really just a habit.
Most people would be shocked how much salt (sodium) they actually eat. Canned goods are the worst.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
No, I only add salt after tasting. Funny how salt affects some folks blood pressure and not others. My buddy salts everything and his is fine. Genetics I guess?

tr21

i was a serious salt user before my heart attack, but have cut way back. my father and brother never used it. now i take blood pressure meds as does my brother, my father has low blood pressure ! both of them have to take thyroid meds because their thyroid stopped working. your thyroid needs iodine which is added to salt or is in shellfish. you need some iodized salt. my outlook now is I dont care what you do your going to die, just enjoy every day you have. eat/ dont eat, drink/dont drink, exercise/dont exercise, you can be the healthiest 40 yr old in the world and tomorrow drop dead. just live the way you want and enjoy today !

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much never at the table. I add salt when I'm cooking. I'll lay the black pepper to something in a heartbeat, though. :)

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I don think I use that much salt. I do use bacon grease for flavor in beans and peas. If I don't have bacon grease I will put salt in while cooking. I don't even have salt and pepper shakers on the dinning table. I do tend to grind black pepper on most everything I eat after it's cooked. I like pepper much more than salt.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Not beforehand, grits, watermelon and fresh peas require some salt though. I sweat like a dog every day, so I’ve never worried to much about salt intake. The white rings on my shirt tell me I’m getting rid of any extra.
I do have a couple of family members that ought to be salt cured by now, I’m amazed at how much salt they put on their food.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Yep.
And my wife gives me heck for it.:bounce:

Also use alot of hot sauce, my wife says I do not know what food tastes like since I put hot sauce on everything.