Do you do extended warranties on new trucks.

sinclair1

I wrote my check and drove off the lot without warranty, other than factory as I always do. This time the sales folks got fairly irritated.

My last new truck was 2012 and the were happy to have sale back then.

It’s become a real shifty experience where they think they can tell you what you want. I am kinda ashamed it almost got physical.

ChidJ

I think its because that's where they make a lot of their money, on the extra tack-ons besides just the sale. They may also be jonesin' for commissions given sales are down from the past couple years (at least they seem to be). Hard to say. I think some salespeople just think push harder=make more money

Personally, I find it hard to trust dealerships with a vehicle even if it is under warranty. Even if they do a repair correctly, it takes them forever.

Dirtroad Johnson

I wrote my check and drove off the lot without warranty, other than factory as I always do. This time the sales folks got fairly irritated.

My last new truck was 2012 and the were happy to have sale back then.

It’s become a real shifty experience where they think they can tell you what you want. I am kinda ashamed it almost got physical.
I traded this past November & they really put the squeeze on me too. No I didn't get it. They seemed offended that I wouldn't take the extended warranty.

Geffellz18

My uncle recently ordered TRD taco like you and ended up getting the extended warranty-But only because of all of the technology and electronics that’s in the truck which the warranty apparently covers.
I just purchased a highlander for my wife & there wasn’t any discussion at all regarding an extended warranty, but we did have to get the salesman to get rid of all the “add on” junk that added a few grand onto the sales price!

oldfella1962

I think its because that's where they make a lot of their money, on the extra tack-ons besides just the sale. They may also be jonesin' for commissions given sales are down from the past couple years (at least they seem to be). Hard to say. I think some salespeople just think push harder=make more money

Personally, I find it hard to trust dealerships with a vehicle even if it is under warranty. Even if they do a repair correctly, it takes them forever.
I guess I got lucky with my dealership. Granted it's a car and not a truck, but the situation is the same - a dealership that actually does things in a timely manner and has even gone out of their way to save me money on repairs and explains every step of the process, if I am interested in the "nuts & bolts" - no pun intended- of what they are doing and how they are doing it.
That said my factory 72,000 mile warranty is about to expire, and I am doing research the pros & cons of even getting an extended warranty. This thread will be very helpful! (y)

Lilly001

If I were to spend 50k plus on a new truck I would look very seriously into an extended warranty.
Todays trucks, and cars, have such complexity and poor build quality that I don’t see one going 50k miles without major maintenance required.
The other problem is that many of the extended warranties exclude most of the electronics from coverage. Also many exclude seals.
The new vehicle market is a nightmare.

Redbow

I ain't paying 4k for any extended warranty on anything. That's what I was quoted a couple weeks ago at the Chevy dealership here. I won't deal with high powered salesman and their bull. I walked away and I will not go back, seems about all the stealerships are like that now days they keep on hounding you for money.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Never bought a new car. I generally find a good used vehicle and pay cash so I don’t have to deal long with pushy salesmen. I wouldn’t buy an extended warranty if I were to buy a new vehicle. Barring a catastrophic repair, I fix my own stuff. Always feel like I’m paying someone to take my money when dealing with sales.

Redbow

Never bought a new car. I generally find a good used vehicle and pay cash so I don’t have to deal long with pushy salesmen. I wouldn’t buy an extended warranty if I were to buy a new vehicle. Barring a catastrophic repair, I fix my own stuff. Always feel like I’m paying someone to take my money when dealing with sales.
Around our area you will pay within 10k for a used truck compared with a new one. I see them every day with 80k miles on them or more selling for big money. I won't pay that nor will I pay the prices for a new truck now. Guess I might just buy me a slow ped, but they are made in China.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Around our area you will pay within 10k for a used truck compared with a new one. I see them every day with 80k miles on them or more selling for big money. I won't pay that nor will I pay the prices for a new truck now. Guess I might just buy me a slow ped, but they are made in China.
Tell me about it, I’ve been due for a newer truck for a good while now, prices are insane. Looking at Tacoma’s, a 2018-2022 all seem to be within $5k-10K of each other here too. I’m going to keep kicking the can down the road until the prices get better or I’m forced to buy one.

georgia_home

I am thinking about looking.

with mrs car, a baseline work truck would do. 2wd, ac auto.

do they even make base models anymore?

gonna need to consider this in the next year or two. can’t do that 50k truck thing.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Now I know why those "Car Shield" commercials come on the tv.

WishboneW

Spend your $$ reconditioning that square body. Less than the cost of a new one and will last longer. Is older folks should be more focused on longevity vs resale. You may have more in it than it is worth but then try buying one just as good for that price

Lilly001

That is my main gripe with the newer vehicles. Since 2015 or so the build quality, engineering, and technology have made all but the most basic repairs beyond the normal DIYer.
Catastrophic failures are much to common and much to soon.

earlthegoat2

Some opinions and anecdotes.

I see transmission problems from every manufacture are pretty common.

I don’t trust anything built in the last 10+ years.

My wife bought a $3200 dollar extended warranty in 2013 on a used 2012 car with 12k miles. The warranty covered the car for an extra 36k miles after factory warranty. The factory warranty and the extended warranty paid out over $12k in repairs in that time. Then we have had about $5k worth of repairs on it (with me doing about $2k worth myself) outside of the warranty. I don’t know what to say other than that car was (“is“ actually since we still have it) a piece of junk. It has 285k miles on it now and is still her daily driver. Nothing has broken more than once except fuel pumps.

A close rundown of The repairs included:

Warranty

Transmission work - Shift forks and clutches (DCT trans) $6k
Some security ignition interlock thing (garbage new car crap that isn’t needed or wanted) $1800
Fuel pump and vent solenoid problem that required a new fuel fuel tank, pump, solenoid, and a few other things (there was a recall later on this but thankfully we didn’t have to screw around with that or get retroactively paid back because of the warranty) $3k

Out of warranty

Fuel pump $600 (maybe normal maintenance but this was the second one it got)
New TCM $3000

Done by me

New catalytic converter and O2 sensors (maybe normal maintenance but I have never had this problem before and it happened at about 90k miles) $500
New AC clutch (maybe normal maintenance but it had been replaced when the AC got overhauled (that was normal maintenance) a few years prior) $200
Fuel pump (yet again) $300

This of course doesn’t include all the truly normal maintenance items like spark plugs, brake pads, alternator, 2 radiators, water pump, control arms, wheel bearings, struts, etc.

We easily have close To double what we paid for the car in total cost of ownership If you include the warranty repairs.

We have also bought extended warranties on a few home appliances that have paid for themselves and then some. I’m not necessarily a true believer in them and I don’t necessarily always get them but they have really worked out great for me.

Last edited:

earlthegoat2

Also, extended warranties (purchased or “included”) are pretty much the norm for new diesels since out of warranty repairs on modern diesels are nothing less than frightening.

Hybrids and electrics too.

transfixer

I see how extended warranty companies treat customers when they try to make a claim, I would not recommend the majority of them to anyone ! Most will try every way they can to deny the claim, Carshield being one of the absolute worst, I know of more than one Carshield customer who waited 2 weeks or more only to have the claim denied, all the while their transmissions was disassembled and tying up my work area,

99% of the aftermarket extended warranty companies are crooked as a snake, It used to be the factory extended warranties were the only ones worth anything, I don't know that is still true or not ? because usually those required you to have a factory dealership do the work .

Another item most may not know, Aftermarket extended warranties only have to return the car to the same condition it was in, in other words if your engine or transmission goes out, they DON"T have to pay for either to be rebuilt ! They don't have to supply a rebuilt one, they will supply a USED one ! and that is all you will get ! I see that constantly !

Before buying any extended warranty I would suggest doing your research into the company behind it, a LOT of research , customer/consumer complaint type sites, because they will rig the positive Google type reviews and similar reviews

Last edited: