Do you find it ethical to shoot a wild hog and let it lay?

Do you find it ethical to shoot a wild hog and let it lay.

• Total voters

earlthegoat2

I try not to. I don’t care if anyone else does.

If I walk up on one I shot and it’s a stinky piggy I pass on butchering it though.

However, they are not a problem on my property and I have only shot one while deer hunting and it was the only one I have seen.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I read that a lot of the diseases and parasites they carry get passed on to the bears, coyotes, bobcats, etc. that eat them if they are left to rot. I caught 13 a few weeks ago and decided that the landfill was the proper way to dispose of them. Called the landfill and got the price- changed my mind.
Except if you don't kill them, every one of them will die at some point and lay in the woods to rot? What's the difference?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Saw this on YouTube, there are more...

...go ahead to the 3:00 min. mark.

Hillbilly stalker

At the rate Joe Biden and his minions/handlers have us hurtling toward a second Great Depression, we might start to think of wild hogs as something very different.

Livestock.
100%. I just bought my 2nd deep freeze, gonna fill it up too.

Sixes

I've not only left a lot of them laying where they were shot, but I've shot them and never even went to track them, same with coyotes, I've shot them that ran off and never followed up the trail.

Ethical? Maybe not to all, but it hasn't bothered me.

I've not only left a lot of them laying where they were shot, but I've shot them and never even went to track them, same with coyotes, I've shot them that ran off and never followed up the trail.

Ethical? Maybe not to all, but it hasn't bothered me.
Thats what i do also !!! I just holes in em and let die somewhere else . I just checked my summer plots down back and they got in em last night ????.

Oh i agree that they are a food source and a tastey one at that ,but i am just tired of messin with them stinky things . Been doing it a looooong time down in S Fla.
this is the sounder that just moved in
8505EF4A-8F1A-4462-BDB8-7D248E9C648A.png

Doug B.

I don't have a problem with somebody shooting them and not utilizing the meat. I know and understand that some places have a real problem with them and need them gone. That's almost the way we feel about bears here. They are a nuisance! Hogs are here too, but I love getting the meat. A farmer here called me back in the winter and told me he had some hogs caught in a trap. I went right then and helped him get them killed and I took one home with me. All the rest in the trap went to get eat. It was a good deal all the way around! That don't always happen though. Some people can't use them all. Some people don't want to eat one. A lot of people just want them gone. Some people hate them. I don't feel it's unethical to shoot them and not eat them. Not with the kind of problems they create. In some places the people there couldn't eat that many hogs if they had to eat them if they killed them.

I don't have a problem with somebody shooting them and not utilizing the meat. I know and understand that some places have a real problem with them and need them gone. That's almost the way we feel about bears here. They are a nuisance! Hogs are here too, but I love getting the meat. A farmer here called me back in the winter and told me he had some hogs caught in a trap. I went right then and helped him get them killed and I took one home with me. All the rest in the trap went to get eat. It was a good deal all the way around! That don't always happen though. Some people can't use them all. Some people don't want to eat one. A lot of people just want them gone. Some people hate them. I don't feel it's unethical to shoot them and not eat them. Not with the kind of problems they create. In some places the people there couldn't eat that many hogs if they had to eat them if they killed them.
Well said Doug

jrickman

Squirrels in the attic. Trap them. Shoot them. Throw them in the yard for the cats, or season them with some old bay and fry them up like chicken if you want, but don't let them chew on the wires.

longrangedog

Except if you don't kill them, every one of them will die at some point and lay in the woods to rot? What's the difference?

If you take hogs to the landfill they bury them. Much less chance for the parasites and diseases to continue in a new scavenger host. They usually don't get buried when they die in the woods. Thats the difference. Just not a difference worth several hundred dollars to me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you take hogs to the landfill they bury them. Much less chance for the parasites and diseases to continue in a new scavenger host. They usually don't get buried when they die in the woods. Thats the difference. Just not a difference worth several hundred dollars to me.
Yeah, just making the point that it's not changing anything whether you shoot them or they die naturally. It is a fact that every single hog on earth is going to die, whether we intervene or not. Taking a hog carcass or a few of them to the landfill isn't going to do anything about the thousands lying in the woods that just died, or make any overall difference at all.

Latest posts